Today is glorious because, at long last, the third season of the political thriller ‘House of Cards’ has finally been released. All 13 episodes are now on Netflix for our viewing pleasure, and we’re here to tell you why you need to stay inside all weekend and press play (again and again and again).
The good news is, while everyone else is freaking out about llamas and the color of a dress, you can distract yourself with the third season of House of Cards! The entire season dropped all at once at midnight on Feb. 27 (thank you, sweet Netflix), and it’s basically your duty as an American to binge-watch the entire thing. I mean, Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey) would definitely agree as much. Check out the top five reasons why should forego talking to real life people this weekend and instead spend it with the Underwoods!
5. It’s Winter: Let’s start with the obvious: It’s awful out there. Unless you’re in California or Florida (which, no offense, we don’t want to hear from you), the weather this winter has been seriously rough. In Kentucky, they even issued an arrest warrant for Queen Elsa on account of her having summoned this atrocious cold. Basically, it sucks to go outside, which is why we’ve never needed an excuse to stay indoors more than we do right now. Case in point: 13 hours of political backstabbing and sexual espionage!
4. You’ve Waited Long Enough: Although it’s great at first when Netflix releases an entire season at once, it generally means that we have to wait a full year between seasons of our fav streaming dramas (Orange is the New Black and your June release date, we’re looking at you). Not only have we all gone a full 12 months since season two first debuted online, we have also resisted the very tempting urge to watch the third season when it inexplicably leaked on Netflix earlier this month (we all totally waited, right?). Why deprive yourself any longer?
3. This Season Will Be Amazing: After last season’s finale, which saw all of Frank’s lying and manipulation–oh, and murder– finally pay off, he landed himself in the White House. Yup, we now have ourselves a President Underwood and if that doesn’t horrify you to your very core, it should. What will Frank do with his newfound power? Will he and Claire’s (Robin Wright) relationship (one of the strangest and most interesting on television) be able to withstand the pressure of the presidency, or will the signs of Claire beginning to crack at the end of last season carry over and spell doom for their relationship? So many questions!
2. Claire Underwood’s Wardrobe: Can anyone rock a skintight power ensemble like Mrs. Underwood? Her seemingly endless supply of designer dresses and Jimmy Choos are what could only be described as wardrobe porn, and are reason enough to tune in. Robin Wright’s gripping commitment is just a bonus.
1. The Crazy Sex: Let’s be real here, politics are all well and good, but half of the appeal of House of Cards is the absolutely ludicrous sex scenes. For an obvious example, last season, we saw the boggling hookup of Frank, Claire and secret serviceman Meechum (Nathan Darrow). It was shocking and awkward and hot and everything between. And, since every season of Cards seems to top the one prior, we can only believe that the sexual antics this season will only continue to thrill us.
So, that’s my pitch! Will you guys stay in to binge all 13 episodes this weekend? Or do you plan to space them out and enjoy them over time?
— Casey Mink