Millions of hearts will break on Feb. 24, when ‘Parks & Recreation’ will say so long forever. In honor of our glorious time together, we’ve selected the top five things we will miss most about Leslie and all our friends in Pawnee.
We have been given seven amazing seasons of Parks & Recreation but, alas, all good things must come to an end. Before we say goodbye to Leslie (Amy Poehler), Ron (Nick Offerman) and Jerry/Terry/Larry/Gary (Jim O’Heir) for good, it only feels right to look back over some of our favorite memories from inside one local branch of Indiana government. Check out the five of the things we’ll miss the most!
‘Parks & Recreation’ Finale
We’re going to need to hit JJ’s Diner hard after we make it through this list.
5. Leslie and Ben: When Parks began, we weren’t sure any guy could ever be good enough for Leslie (particularly when compared to “poetic and noble land mermaid, Ann [Rashida Jones]). But then, Ben (Adam Scott) came along and though he was kinda a d-bag at first, he and Leslie’s chemistry triumphed, and ultimately, his respect for her as his equal has prevailed as the trademark of their relationship. Beginning as a secret affair that eventually lead to the most adorable proposal ever— seriously, ever– and a wedding that still makes us ugly sob, Leslie and Ben will go down in history as one of our all time fav sitcom couples.
4. Andy (Chris Pratt) and April (Aubrey Plaza): Andy and April are equal parts weird and adorable and that is why we love them so. We have watched their journey from the beginning– from April’s secret crush, to their surprise living room wedding to Johnny Karate, these two have created a love so beautiful it would warm even April’s icy black heart (I mean it wouldn’t but nothing can so lay off).
3. Leslie Knope, feminist hero: One of the saddest parts of Parks heading off the air is that we are losing a feminist icon in Leslie. Between her Wall of Inspirational Women, founding an all-girls scout troop called the Pawnee Goddesses, and just her general unyielding dedication to female empowerment, ladies around the world always had– and, thanks to Netflix and syndication– always will have, Leslie to look to for guidance.
2. Treat Yo Self: Has a single sentence ever solved so many problems in your life? The catchphrase of super fab duo Donna (Retta) and Tom (Aziz Ansari), “treat yo self” is literally the answer to everything. “Clothes: Treat yo self. Fragrances: Treat yo self. Massages: Treat yo self. Mimosas: Treat yo self. Fine leather goods: Treat yo self.” Though Parks may be over, we will always remember to treat ourselves.
1. Leslie and Ron: Not since Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy has a platonic relationship made us feel all of the feels like Leslie and Ron. What is there to even say? They are the ying to the others’ yang. Leslie’s high energy anxiety paired with Ron’s sage wisdom has made them the most unstoppable team and, even though Ron would never come out and say it, we know he loves Leslie just as much as she loves him– he would just rather show it with a finely crafted wooden item than with brazen affection, and that’s just fine.
Also, special shoutout to Tammy 2, Tammy 1, Chris, Craig, Joe Biden, Joan Callamezzo, Jean-Ralphio and all the other supporting players who have made Parks such a hilarious and waffle-fueled ride. We’ve loved every minute.
All together now: bye byeee Lil’ Sebastian.
Are you sad to see Parks & Recreation go?
— Casey Mink