From Neil Patrick Harris’ magical opening number to Jared Leto bringing Zedd as his date, the Oscars were packed with fun and surprising moments! HollywoodLife.com has rounded up some of the hottest highlights for you right here!
For starters, how perfect was Neil Patrick Harris in his Oscars hosting debut? He knocked it out of the park — and he wasn’t the only one! The recently engaged Lady Gaga wowed the crowd with her glorious tribute to The Sound of Music, and Rita Ora‘s show-stopping performance of “Grateful” left us speechless! Take a look at our five most memorable moments of the night, and then tell us which one was YOUR favorite!
Oscar Highlights — The 2015 Academy Awards Show’s Best Moments
1. NPH honed his hosting skills at the Tonys and the Emmys, and his first turn as an Oscars emcee totally cemented him as one of the best awards show hosts EVER! From his flawlessly executed opening act with delightful surprise guests Anna Kendrick and Jack Black, to his hilarious mid-show stripdown, we were blown away!
2. The Hollywood hills were alive with the sound of Lady Gaga on Feb. 22! Mama Monster paid tribute to the enduring musical The Sound of Music — not to mention the enduring Julie Andrews — by singing everything from the title song to “Climb Every Mountain”, and she didn’t miss a beat! “I’ve got goosebumps already,” Gaga said on Feb. 19 after a pre-Oscars rehearsal. And now we do too! Especially after Julie joined Gaga on stage and went on to present the award for Best Original Score.
3. Was anyone else super surprised to see Zedd at the Oscars with Jared Leto and without Selena Gomez? Well, HollywodLife.com did some digging and learned that Jared and Zedd have actually been friends for years. Who knew? Plus, the two were photographed in the recording studio together recently, so hopefully they’re working on some new music together. And as for Selena’s whereabouts, there’s still plenty of time for an after-party appearance!
Oscars 2015 Show Highlights: Rita Ora, John Legend & More Hot Performances
4. The Oscars may be primarily about celebrating film but there were also many awesome musical performances at tonight’s show. Between John Legend, Common, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Levine, Anna Kendrick, Tim McGraw and more, it was hard to pick our favorite performer but we think Rita Ora may have been the stand-out. With her stunning performance of “Grateful”, the Oscar-nominated theme song to Beyond the Lights, Rita finally showed the world exactly what she can do — and we loved every second of it!
We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention John Legend and Common’s powerful performance of “Glory” from Selma. It was incredibly touching — so touching in fact that it moved some members of the audience to tears! The guys shared another special moment when they picked up the award for Best Original Song at the show. So well-deserved!
5. Tegan and Sara‘s performance of The Lego Movie‘s “Everything Is Awesome” was — well, awesome. It only got better when the talented duo were joined by Andy Samberg‘s hilarious musical group, The Lonely Island, and surprise guest Will Arnett. This was definitely the funnest moment of the night!
So HollywoodLifers, what was YOUR favorite moment from the 2015 Oscars? VOTE and share your thoughts in the comments section below!
— Tierney McAfee