U.S. investigators have determined that hackers working for North Korea were directly responsible for the Sony hacking attack, according to CNN and CNBC.
U.S. law enforcement officials revealed on Dec. 17 that they believe North Korea was behind the attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment. The shocking news comes after Sony canceled the theatrical release of James Franco and Seth Rogen‘s new action comedy film, The Interview, which is about two celebrity journalists who set out to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un.
Sony Hack: North Korea Is Responsible For Attack, Say US Investigators
CNN’s Evan Perez said an official statement will be released on Dec. 18 to “assign attribution” to North Korea after the country threatened a “9/11”- level attack on any theaters playing The Interview, according to our sister site Variety.
The officials say that although the attack didn’t originate in North Korea, they believe that hackers hired by the country are responsible, according to CNBC.
“We have found linkeage to the North Korean government,” a source told the site.
North Korea previously denied being behind the attack, but declared it a “righteous deed,” according to The New York Times.
‘The Interview’ Pulled By Sony
Sony announced its decision to pull the plug on The Interview earlier on Dec. 17, saying in a statement:
“We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public.”
HollywoodLifers, what do YOU think about this? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.
— Tierney McAfee