Following Sony’s decision to pull the theatrical release of ‘The Interview,’ President Obama revealed during an interview that the attacks are, ‘very serious,’ but recommended that people continue to, ‘go to the movies.’
During an interview on Dec. 17, President Barack Obama, 53, addressed the Sony Pictures Entertainment hacking scandal after the company canceled the theatrical release of James Franco and Seth Rogen‘s new comedy, The Interview. The President revealed that if anything “credible” is found that, “we’ll alert the public.”
Obama Sony Hack — Urges Public To ‘Go To The Movies’
“For now, my recommendation would be that people go to the movies,” President Obama said. “Well, the cyber-attack is very serious. We’re investigating, we’re taking it seriously. We’ll be vigilant, if we see something that we think is serious and credible, then we’ll alert the public.”
Meanwhile, The Interview‘s theatrical release — which was set to be on Dec. 25 — has been cancelled after several major chains decided to not show the film.
Sony Hack — North Korea Is Responsible
As HollywoodLife.com previously reported, following the announcement that Sony would cancel showings of The Interview it was revealed that U.S. law enforcement officials believe North Korea was behind the attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment.
As Variety reported, CNN’s Evan Perez revealed that an official statement will be released on Dec. 18 to “assign attribution” to North Korea after the country threatened a “9/11″- level attack on any theaters playing The Interview.
A source told CNBC, “We have found linkage to the North Korean government.” US officials told NBC News, that the hacking attack originated outside North Korea, but that they believe the individuals behind the attack were acting on orders from the North Koreans.
What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Do you think The Interview should have been cancelled? Will you continue to go to the movies? Let us know your thoughts below!
— Caitlin Beck