Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Sydney Siege: Dead Victims Identified — Mom, 38, Loses Life

Mon, December 15, 2014 8:44pm EDT by 2 Comments
Courtesy of Twitter

So heartbreaking. A brilliant lawyer and mother of three was among the two hostages killed during a horrifying terrorist siege at Lindt chocolate shop in Sydney, Australia on Dec. 15. Cafe manager Tori Johnson, 34, also died while trying to save the 17 hostages. Such tragic losses.

Katrina Dawson, 38, passed away in a hospital after being held hostage for more than 16 hours by an Iranian refugee gunman, who was also killed during a terrifying shootout with police. Katrina leaves behind three young children.

Sydney Siege Deaths: Victims Identified As Mother Of Three & Male Hostage

While most of the 17 hostages were able to escape self-proclaimed Islamic sheik Man Haron Monis, two innocent lives were tragically lost during the Dec. 15 siege.

Katrina, a barrister at the nearby Eight Selborne Chambers on Sydney’s Phillip Street, was killed in the firefight that came at the end of a tense, 16-hour stand-off, the UK’s Daily Mail reports.

Also among the dead was Lindt cafe manager Tori Johnson, 34, who killed after he tried to take the gun away from Man Haron Monis when the 50-year-old terrorist began to fall asleep just after 2 a.m. local time. Tori was a true hero, as was Katrina.

Jane Needham, president of the bar association, released the following statement about Katrina’s passing:

“Katrina, together with two other members of the NSW Bar, were held as hostages during the incident at the Lindt Café. Katrina was one of our best and brightest barristers who will be greatly missed by her colleagues and friends at the NSW Bar. She was a devoted mother of three children, and a valued member of her floor and of our bar community. Our thoughts are with her family at this time, including her brother, Sandy Dawson of Banco Chambers.”

Sydney Siege: Six Hostages Injured

Six other hostages were injured in the siege, including three women who were shot, and a 39-year-old policeman whose face was grazed by a stray bullet, according to the Daily Mail.

Two other women were hurt but their injuries were not life-threatening.

Man Haron Monis was pronounced dead at the hospital following the shoot-out.

— Tierney McAfee

More Sydney Siege News:

  1. Sydney’s Terrifying Hostage Situation Finally Ends — Watch Live Stream
  2. Sydney Siege Ends: Two Hostages Dead, Plus Gunman
  3. Sydney, Australia: 5 Of The Hostages Escape Chocolate Shop In Terrifying Siege