The Grand jury has come to a conclusion! A new report claims that the jury decided that Tony Stewart will not face criminal charges after hearing the testimony regarding the NASCAR drivers role in the on-track death of fellow driver, Kevin Ward Jr.
The verdict is in! TMZ reports that Tony Stewart, 43, will not face criminal charges after he tragically hit and killed 20-year-old sprint-car driver, Kevin Ward Jr. during a race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in upstate New York on Aug. 9.
Kevin Ward Jr. Tony Stewart Death — Charges Reportedly Dropped
TMZ reports that Tony is not going to be charged in the unfortunate case after there was talk that he intentionally veered his car into Kevin during the race. The site reports, “the grand jury feels it was nothing more than a freak accident.”
Sports News reported that Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo announced, “We have no basis to charge Tony Stewart with any crime.”
The site also reports, “Tantillo also said that toxicology reports showed that Ward was under the influence of marijuana during the race and that the levels were enough to impair his judgment.”
Miachael announced that the grand jury, “viewed two enhanced videos of the accident, and they showed “no aberrational driving” by Stewart. They were pretty important pieces of evidence here,” he said.
“While the criminal case is closed, Stewart could face a wrongful death lawsuit from the Ward family,” Sports News reports.
ABC reported that after the tragic accident, NASCAR announced a new rule to help prohibit an incident like this from happening again.
“NASCAR announced a rule that prohibits drivers from climbing out of a crashed or disabled vehicle — unless it is on fire — until safety personnel arrive,” ABC reports. “The series also cleared the way for Stewart to make its Chase for the Sprint Cup championship with a win, despite missing the three races, but he didn’t make the 16-driver field.”
Grand Jury Reviews Tony Stewart Case
As HollywoodLife.com previously reported, on Sept. 16, it was announced that the Grand jury would be looking into the case. CBS reported that after hearing about the continued investigation Tony said, “I look forward to this process being completed, and I will continue to provide my full cooperation.”
The site also reports that NASCAR spokesperson, Brett Jewkes has been closely following the investigation and said, “We are aware of the completed investigation and the announced next steps,” he said. “We will monitor this process and stay in close contact with Stewart-Haas Racing. It would be inappropriate for NASCAR to comment on this case so we will continue to respect the process and authorities involved.”
Our thoughts continue to go out to Kevin’s family and loved ones during this extremely difficult time.
What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Should Tony have been cleared? Let us know your thoughts below!
— Caitlin Beck
More Tony Stewart News:
- Tony Stewart: Grand Jury To Review Case Of Kevin Ward Jr.’s Death
- NASCAR’s Tony Stewart Botched Return After Kevin Ward Jr’s Death
- Tony Stewart Returning To NASCAR Race For First Time Since Kevin Ward Jr.’s Death