Famed NASCAR driver, Tony Stewart will stand in front of a grand jury to decide if he will face charges following the Aug. 9, on-track death of fellow driver, Kevin Ward Jr.
Tony Stewart, 43, may have returned to racing after the tragic death of fellow driver, Kevin Ward Jr, 20, but the investigation is not over. On Sept. 16, it was announced that Tony will stand in front of a grand jury to see if he will face charges after he hit and killing Kevin during a race on Aug. 9.
Tony Stewart Kevin Ward Jr. Case — Grand Jury Will Review
USA Today reports that Tony will stand in front of a grand jury to find out if he will face charges after hitting and killing Kevin during a race on Aug. 9.
The site reports that the Ontario County D.A. Michael Tantillo said in a statement, “Over the past several weeks, I have reviewed with members of the Ontario County Sheriff’s Department their investigation, as it progressed, in the Tony Stewart matter,” he said.
“Recently that office concluded its work and forwarded the complete case file to me. Upon my review of all of the information contained in the entire investigation, I have made the determination that it would be appropriate to submit the evidence to a grand jury, for their determination as to what action should be taken in this matter,” he said. “Accordingly, the evidence developed in the investigation will be presented to an Ontario County grand jury in the near future.”
“Similarly, because of the confidential nature of these proceedings, I cannot state who will be called as witnesses, or what any witness’s expected testimony will be,” he stated. “When the presentation has been completed and a determination has been made, I will advise the public and the media at that time of the results.”
The site reports that NASCAR’S chief communications officer Brett Jewkes said in a statement:
“We are aware of the completed investigation and the announced next steps. First, our thoughts continue to be with all who have been impacted by this tragedy. We will monitor this process and stay in close contact with Stewart-Haas Racing. It would be inappropriate for NASCAR to comment on this case so we will continue to respect the process and authorities involved.”
According to CBS, Tony released a statement of his own after hearing about the grand jury’s decision. He said, “I respect the time and effort spent by both the Ontario County District Attorney and the Sheriff’s Office in investigating this tragic accident. I look forward to this process being completed, and I will continue to provide my full cooperation.”
As HollywoodLife.com previously reported, the tragic incident took place on Aug. 9, at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in upstate New York for the Empire Super Sprints series event.
The young driver was hit after he had exited his car and was dragged by Tony’s car across the dirt-track. In the extremely graphic video, you can hear screams and see other cars avoiding and dodging Kevin before he is ultimately hit by Tony.
Our thoughts continue to go out to Kevin’s loved ones.
What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Do you think Tony should be charged with Kevin’s death? Let us know your thoughts below!
— Caitlin Beck