Miss America 2015 is so much more than just a pretty face! HollywoodLife.com has rounded up five interesting facts about Kira so you can get to know your new Miss America!
Meet Kira Kazantsev, 23. The blonde beauty’s charming, Pitch Perfect-inspired rendition of Pharrell Williams‘ “Happy” won over judges during the 2015 Miss America Competition in Atlantic City, New Jersey on Sept. 14, but that’s just one of the many reasons to love Kira. Find out more after the jump!
Who Won Miss America 2015? — 5 Things To Know About Miss New York
Kira beat out 52 of America’s most beautiful and talented women to take home the Miss America crown on Sept. 14, and we totally see why. Kira is truly special for so many reasons, but here are our top five.
1. Kira is planning to attend law school. She’s already been accepted to Fordham University’s Law School, according to Metro.us. Brains and beauty — wow!
2. Kira is an advocate for victims of domestic violence. Kira’s official platform, “Love Shouldn’t Hurt: Protecting Women Against Domestic Violence,” is definitely a timely one in light of the Ray Rice scandal. Kira, who was in an abusive relationship during college, explains, “I want people to stop asking, ‘Why doesn’t she just leave?’ Every woman is an expert in her own case, and there are so many extenuating circumstances that lead to a woman staying with her abuser.”
3. Kira is the third New Yorker in a row to win the Miss America Competition. New Yorker Nina Davuluri, 25, took home the crown in 2014, while Mallory Hagan, 25, earned the honor in 2013. We guess the saying is true — if you can make it there, you’ll make it anywhere!
4. Kira’s parents are Russian immigrants. Kira is a first-generation American who speaks Russian fluently. “My parents left for a better life,” she recently told the Press of Atlantic City. “They gave up everything to make a better life for me and my little brother.”
5. Kira had three majors in college! Remember how hard it was to master one subject? Well, Kira tripled majored in political science, global studies and geography at Long Island’s Hofstra University. Talk about a triple threat!
Are you happy Miss New York won, HollywoodLifers? Let us know!
— Tierney McAfee
More Miss America News:
- Miss America 2015 — See The Contestants & Pageant Favorites
- Miss America Begs School To Revoke Student Suspension
- High School Student Suspended For Asking Miss America To Prom