Joan Rivers: Life & Death Decisions Will Be Made By Melissa Rivers

Thu, August 28, 2014 6:22pm EST by 47 Comments 62,701 Article Views
Joan Rivers Melissa Rivers
Getty

Mark

Posted at 11:46 PM on August 31, 2014

I saw maybe family seeking legal actions but right now do they even know what the EEG shows? As for the procedure that was being done, it comes with risk. I had exact same one done and had to sign the legal papers about things that can go wrong which relieves them of liabilities. Am sure Joan signed them too so unless something went on that shouldn’t have then it was her body. I didn’t let them put me under for the test. They did it wide awake which is not painful but not pleasant either but no recovery time like when put under usually with Versed I think might have spelled it wrong.

Either way, I hope for the best & I think we all know Monday for sure. If EEG is flat or showing that there is such damage that going off life support will result in death then bad news but it is something doctors already know since that is round the clock so Melisa knows too but is she in such shock she won’t accept truth? I do hope EEG is near normal so family can heal and things work out well. I’d say tonight can be tricky or early morning for these things but we all know soon. I feel terrible for the family and friends. These are the worst of times for them. Joan has given so much to charities over the years that she never talks about. She has done a lot of good things and went from zero to 150 million on her own & raised a very smart businesswoman for a daughter.

DEBBIE

Posted at 12:26 AM on September 4, 2014

Yes, Joan Rivers is truly an icon and such a dynamic woman; she has done SO much for women’s image and is such a dedicated talent; I don’t know how she does it but have heard she’s a workaholic. Don’t know for sure but she never stops; I don’t know how she juggled “Fashion Police”, standup, QVC, Joan & Melissa show, “In Bed With Joan” and I probably missed one or two? Unbelievable, what a worker wonder. She’s a great person and certainly an inspiration to everyone!

Maribeth

Posted at 10:37 PM on August 30, 2014

I pray for your Mother’s full recovery….
Please do not rush into a decision to remove her from life support.
She is a strong and amazing woman. Please give her body time to heal

Lisa (@lat454205)

Posted at 11:47 AM on August 30, 2014

I pray that they do all they can do to help Joan pull through this. I pray for Melissa, her only child that she has strength and God by her side throughout this entire situation. The closeness that she shares with her Mother is so apparent. Praying for Cooper as well. God Bless.

alan weathers (@weathersaloysiu)

Posted at 4:11 PM on August 31, 2014

I worry about Cooper too. He’s only 13 years old. Surely he is used to being exposed to all kinds of Family drama. In one clip I saw of him and his Grandmother, he laid his head on her lap and went to sleep. It was a very tender moment and clearly, he dearly loves Joan. I’m sure Melissa is beside herself too hearing different stories from different doctors and trying to process it all. Then too, she is very familiar with Joan’s wishes not to be a burden financially or psychically on her loved ones. If they do a brain MRI and it comes back flat, then clearly her chances of recovery are extremely limited. Hospitals are set up to continue draining resources and giving false hope as long as the insurance/cash keeps flowing in. When she reaches the ceilings on her medical coverage, you will see very quick action by Mt. Zion. In the meantime alot of jobs and lives are teetering on the brink, as Joan fights for her life. Fashion Police, In Bed With Joan, Jewelry Fashionista lines, Stand up Tours, Network appearances all will come crashing to a demise in her absence. Again, our prayers go out to Melissa and Cooper.

reach2020

Posted at 4:23 PM on September 1, 2014

It would be more the EEG than MRI but either way is not important since the main thing is sending out good thoughts for Joan and her family. I realize many here are in medical & going by my own family, I know how with the doctors there is disagreement & even with the Nurses over various things. I’d like to see that EEG but HIPPA laws are not going to allow them to release that info to the public.

These are difficult times for Melisa & the rest of that family. They might be learning new medical things the hard way. I hope for the best but it really doesn’t look good to me from what I’m hearing yet without knowledge of EEG & various other test results, it is impossible to know in public realms.

We can all simply hope for the best at this moment for that family. These are roads I’ve been down before & not very pleasant ones at that.

jules

Posted at 12:38 AM on August 30, 2014

I pray that Joan pulls through this. I wish she was in New York Presbyterian instead of Mount Sinai cuz they are a teaching hospital

Anne Stepien

Posted at 2:38 AM on August 30, 2014

As a Registered Nurse with 20 years working in the trenches, I can assure you your comment makes no sense at all.

Mark

Posted at 9:42 PM on August 29, 2014

Melissa is in charge regardless of a living will or not since next of kin but Joan is not dumb so am sure she has legal papers & also had a talk with her daughter about these things long ago.

From my own experience being near death three times & am not old but do have MS then at one time, I had to be in charge of paternal grandmother since it was legally handed to me to deal with it so not only did I have to give permission when I was very young but then put up with family over things too. I had the medical qualifications tho which is why, I was in charge so young but point is, have been through this difficult thing before so I do understand how Melissa might be feeling. It’s a horrible situation when a loved one in such serious condition and YOU have to give final word on hard things in life.

I know reports say stable, resting comfortably but stable means many different things. Someone in medically induced coma, stable is not the same as awake sitting up in bed. Stable in this case simply means no danger of death within 3 hours or less since vitals are good enough to keep support going a certain way & she is likely intubated (I added an ed) meaning a tube in her breathing for her.since she is not on her own most likely or is there to be safe if she is.

Induced coma is to help prevent further or any brain damage but they will not know if there is damage until they bring her out of coma usually in 72 hours. It did not say life support which could have meant something worse going on than is that we know of in public.

Either way, best wishes to that family, friends, fans and especially to Joan, Melissa and the grandson. I’m sure he is very upset about grandma so Melisa has to deal with that too but she is a strong woman imo & will get through anything.

I think it terrible how some are saying such cruel things about Joan online. If one doesn’t like her or her brand of humor they don’t have to watch or listen but to wish such horrific things on a person is really terrible. The lady made 150 million doing jokes & other things so she is self made unlike Trump or others. I have read horrific things based just on fact she is Jewish. What is going on in the States with the hate? I’m Irish so am I a drunk? No, I don’t even drink but never had a problem.

Get well soon Joan. Wish I could meet her and her family.

Mark,