‘Raising Asia’: Is Lifetime’s Asia Monet, 9, The Next Beyonce?

Tue, August 19, 2014 10:00am EST by 24 Comments

Asia and mom Kristie Ray give HollywoodLife.com the scoop on their new show and their big plans for Asia’s career.

After crushing Abby’s Ultimate Dance Competition and dominating Dance Moms, break-out star Asia Monet is finally ready to… well… break out.

Currently starring on her own series, Lifetime’s Raising Asia, she and mom Kristie Ray are inviting fans along for the next chapter of their journey to superstardom — and they insist that what you see is what you get. (Well, most of the time.)

“Some of the episodes make my mom look mean,” Asia tells HollywoodLife.com, clarifying that “she’s a very nice person.”

Explains Kristy, “I get stressed, but I think they over-dramatize the looks I give Asia. Honestly, the messenger’s just trying not to get shot — and that would be me.”

Speaking of stressful situations, Asia says she learned a lot from mentor Abby Lee Miller, who strikes fear into the hearts of most mortals… but not Asia!

“I’m one of Abby’s favorites,” she explains. “She made me a better dancer.”

Asia Monet: ‘Raising Asia’ Star Releases First Solo Album

Oh, and did we mention that Asia just released her self-titled debut R&B/pop album?

“It’s not cute or anything,” Asia insists. “It’s sassy, fierce, diva and funky. It’s like Beyonce and Janet Jackson.”

So what’s next for Asia? Don’t worry, she has a very specific to-do list:

“I want to be in tons of movies, I want to perform at the Staples Center, I want to meet Beyonce and Janet Jackson, I want to go to Paris, and I want to be in a couple fashion shows,” she tells us.

At the rate Asia’s going, she’ll be done by Christmas.

Raising Asia airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on Lifetime. Asia Monet is available on digital shelves and on IAmAsiaMonet.com.

Thamani Akbar

Posted at 5:57 AM on October 10, 2014

One of my big concerns is the lack of emphasis on Education. She is being home schooled and the mother is her teacher. I don’t get a s sense that she is educated herself. Asia needs to go to school with children her age, because right now she is not well rounded. I am also concerned about Anthony Burrell who is pushing her into adulthood. I think he is obsessed with the child. There was a scene where he wasn’t getting his way and he was dancing with Asia and he dropped her. I was looking at his face and I was left with the feeling that he did this on purpose. I don;t think he is a good teacher for her. I think Kristie’s obsession will eventually ruin both daughters. Without Shawn who provides stability I think this little girl is headed for disaster. I can’t watch any more. Someone call Social Services!

Thamani Akbar

Posted at 5:48 AM on October 10, 2014

Danicia

Lynda

Posted at 2:23 AM on September 10, 2014

Whew! The mother is an egomaniac and psycho! Yes, she has done well by getting hjer daughter’ks career off the ground, but her exploding temper and unwarranted diva behavior is shameful. Asia is better behaved than her mother and SHE is the one doing all the performing and rehearsing and multitasking. The mother is a badly behaved, maniacal, angry, ill-mannered, rude, loud mouth. I mean rudely pointing your finger into the camermen’s faces and jabbing her finger towards their eyes. Whew! The producer should pull the plug or ban that crazy woman from being filmed at all. Ungrateful dame.

Valerie

Posted at 10:39 PM on September 9, 2014

OMG Kristy “don’t give them what they want”? Seriously, what do you think you signed up for. Your “fans” can make or break you mad you are not helping her caree when you act the way you do. Your child at 8 has more sense than you do.

Julie

Posted at 11:52 PM on September 2, 2014

Just look what money can buy!!!! Can not sing! Took rapper dancing instead go ballet…wares hair extensions and costumes and other dancers to cover up her inability to dance. Songs are on tape; watch lips not matching songs…I know now they put anybody on TV. I hope they are paying the network!!!!!!

Lynda

Posted at 9:29 AM on September 3, 2014

@ Julie. News for you, hon, no one wants to see boring azz ballet on tv. It does not work for television unless the focus is on the behind the scenes lives. Nowdays if you want to make it in showbiz you’ve got to be dynamic and multitalented. Asia is ALL of that. And what planet have you been on where you didn’t know that ALL celebrities in showbiz wear hair extensions. Even Nefertiti, Betty Davis, Joan Crawford, soap opera stars. You sound soooo jealous. Get over it! Asia has the “it” factor and people want to see it. At least she’s not a pig like M. Cyrus.

Julie

Posted at 1:01 PM on September 10, 2014

Boy! Did I hit a nerve!!!!! I know about everything you wrote, really I am not STUPID!! You have an 8 year telling her parents what to do, you have mother not telling the dad stuff and mother not telling dad!!!!!! HE! Is the one complaining about monies! When Ms. Asia gets 13-16..who is going to say “NO”? You really think she is going in the closet?? Everyone knows she wouldn’t have a prayer if she didn’t have the mother and father’s MONEY!!!!! Yes! Also, you have the other dancers so everyone is watching them — instead of ASIA…huh? To cover up boob boobs (mistakes). Pre-recorded tapes/discs are made and are used while Asia is on stage!!!!!! Who was those two guys that even go an award, was that Millie? Venellie??? Next it’s going to be Asia, Asia, Asia!!!! If Asia didn’t have money, tapes/discs, dancers, lights, etc…there would not be a Ms. Asia!!!! Let’s put her against Carrie Underwood —- no band, no dancers, no tapes, lights…yea they would say she’s only 8 !!!!!!!!

Telly

Posted at 5:40 AM on August 27, 2014

Was just watching the episode with Anthony trying to explain to the parents that the song and choreography by Billy is outdated. Agreed!! Wow, her parents are acting like they are 70 year Olds with their taste in music. Ugh! That song is awful. Sorry Asia! Asia is super talented and her hot headed no talent boooooring father is getting in her way because he thinks he knows what he is doingand hedoesn’t. Her parents have no taste at all. A mess.

Maggie Lewis

Posted at 12:46 AM on August 27, 2014

I can’t stand her father. I hope someone is watching Asia’s money. He claims he pays the bills, yeah, with her money. You can’t tell me she didn’t get paid for being on Abbey’s show, and she gets paid for her own show, and she gets paid for her singing and dancing gigs. When do you ever see him going to work. I can’t stand his attitude like he knows anything about what he is talking about. Kristie, don’t let him push you and Anthony out. I hope she divorces him and he is left to fend for himself. I can see it now. He is going to have all of Asia’s money spent before she is old enough to enjoy any of it herself. Get him off the show. I can’t stand that man. He, the father, Shawn is the one who is causing the drama. Kristie has it covered. Stay out of her way. She’s been doing great without you up to this point. Stop causing all the drama. Reminds me that he acts like a girl… girl Shawn. Shawn get a job and earn your own money.

Pamela

Posted at 3:02 AM on August 27, 2014

Are you kidding me? Her father is the only stability she has in her life (along with her Aunt and Grandmother). It kills me when Kristie snaps at Asia about her mouth. Seriously? Where does Kristie think Asia learned it from? That little girl needs to learn respect. As it now stands, they’ve turned her into a megalomaniac. A narcissist. As far as the father getting her money, don’t forget they have to give a percentage to Billie, Anthony and God knows how many other coaches. The Dad is the one who’s been working to pay for all the lessons this CHILD has had. Who do you think pays for Kristie’s expensive wardrobe, professionally decorated house, Louis Vuitton Bags?

Kristie is a monster, and she’s turning her daughter into a miniature of herself. If I’ve ever seen a case of a mother living vicariously through her daughter, this is it. Look at the photo of Asia on this page. She looks like she’s ready for the stripper pole! And who the heck wants to pay money in Las Vegas to see an 8-year old Beyoncé wannabe? That child carries a purse that costs enough money it could feed a small village in Africa for a year. This child is headed on a one-way road to burn out. And perhaps what she needs to learn most is discipline and respect for other people. I feel so sorry for her little sister. Kristie admittedly gives the majority of her attention to Asia which is shameful. And if looks could kill, Kristie could take someone out with that squinty glare she shoots people. SMH.

Chery Gilespie

Posted at 8:01 PM on August 24, 2014

I think her AKA name should be “Asia Boo Boo” Another show that exploits young children

Diana park

Posted at 3:41 PM on August 23, 2014

Asia is a lil 8 year old gymnastics dancing girl who should not be sticking out her but like a grown adult stripper. Just as important, if her mother wants to make her a STAR she should be pushing the name “ASIA the new superstar” not asia the “NEW BEYONCE”!! Why do people have to be SOMEONE ELSE! Like do not good enough to be who they are!!(Esp. they’re not even gone yet! so how cathe new one!!) that’s in infeoirerating n her parents should know better than doing that to a child so she has to have it in her head as she’s growing up!! Be the great ASIA!! oh and don’t get me started on lack of a family life/unity!! and she may be mentoring other little children watching her, and in the ending with the hands in the thrown off the skirt come on now!!

gwen

Posted at 2:46 AM on August 21, 2014

as I have thought about it another commenter said it right the show should be called Bella the throw away kid, what a fluff piece. I bet Ricky didn’t even call or pretended he did so se can look like she puts Bella 1st. Asia well good luck to ya. Bella I am sure you and Nori will have a lot of stories to tell each other.

Phyllis

Posted at 11:12 PM on August 20, 2014

Raising Asia is a nice family show, but i am a little tired of these parents not giving the other child Bella any of their time

Shellie

Posted at 11:11 PM on August 20, 2014

I think it is ridiculous she can’t be a child. Everyone skated and she didn’t that is crazy. The mother is one of those overbearing stage moms. She better look at MJ and see how Joe treated them and not having a childhood. People need to let their children be children. You are an adult the rest of your life. Childhood is meant to be fun.

KP

Posted at 9:20 PM on August 20, 2014

I have watched the show and that LITTLE girl will be burned out by the time she is 20

nicki

Posted at 9:02 PM on August 20, 2014

I don’t like the show at all I seen the first show and didn’t like it. Shows to be the mother pay more attention to Asia than the other child which should be treated equally. Doing to much she 8 years old let her be a child instead of trying to grow her up so fast… Smh I don’t like it I wish they would air it off

ketrina birthday

Posted at 3:09 AM on August 20, 2014

I like billy as a manager hes right shes a child not a 25 yr old teenager.

kem

Posted at 9:54 PM on August 20, 2014

i believe Billy is the ex child actor from bay watch who had a history of drug and alcohol .
the way his hands shook in this weeks episode i would bet he is in trouble again.

Melrose

Posted at 1:46 AM on August 30, 2014

Wrong.read imbd.thats a different person.billy huffsey is from Days of our lives and fame.

Cindy

Posted at 12:09 AM on August 20, 2014

Frances, I completely agree with you! I couldn’t have put it better myself. I couldn’t believe tonight’s episode where Kristie was so angry about Asia eating an egg, one piece of wheat toast, and a banana….I think that’s perfectly healthy, especially when Asia burns so many calories everyday with all of her dancing and conditioning. It’s amazing to me how upset she was over those eggs! CRAZY!!

Frances Poole

Posted at 10:31 PM on August 19, 2014

I love Asia and I love watching the show. I just wish her mother would chill out a little and stop giving Asia such a hard time. Every time the camera shows her face, she’s squinting her eyes and looking at Asia with disapproval. I am a 75 year old grandmother, raised 4 daughters, all dancers. I can tell you from experience that they all need encouragement and praise. All Christy does is cut her daughter down and complain. Asia is a phenomenal dancer and I just love her. Just wanted to say my piece. Now I feel better. Thanks for listening.

Chery Gilespie

Posted at 8:04 PM on August 24, 2014

This show is all scripted. The theme is completely fake

Melrose

Posted at 1:48 AM on August 30, 2014

How cool you must be involved writing the scripts since you know so much