Robin Williams Admitted He Wanted A ‘Quick’ Death In Rehab — So Sad

Sun, August 17, 2014 2:30pm EDT by 34 Comments 113,835 Article Views

So heartbreaking. Teresa Cohen, 32, who claims she was in rehab with Robin in Minnesota earlier this summer, says he appeared to be filled with ‘deep depression and unhappiness,’ and he confided in her that he was ‘weary to his bones.’

Just two months before he tragically died in an apparent suicide on Aug. 11 at the age of 63, Robin Williams checked into the Hazelden Addiction Treatment Centre near Lindstrom, Minn., to focus on his sobriety, according to his publicist. Now Teresa Cohen, a young mother of two who was reportedly receiving treatment at the center at the same time as Robin, is revealing heartrending new details about his final stint in rehab.

Robin Williams In Rehab: Actor Reportedly Admitted He Wanted A ‘Quick’ Death

Robin tried his best to stay upbeat during his time at Hazelden, but it was clear to Teresa, for one, that there was “something deeper going on inside him.”

“Even though he would goof around from time to time, just like he did on screen, there were many other occasions where his face reflected deep depression and unhappiness,” Teresa told The Sunday Express.

Teresa also claims that the comedian “burst into tears, fearing that he would relapse and return to drink when he left the centre,” according to the Daily Mail, and even confessed to her at one point: “When I go, I want it to be quick and I want to be clean and sober. I don’t want to die the slow agonising death of an addict who makes everyone around him suffer.”

So sad. Robin checked into rehab in the months before his shocking apparent suicide on Aug. 11. His rep said at the time, “After working back-to-back projects, Robin is simply taking the opportunity to fine-tune and focus on his continued commitment, of which he remains extremely proud.”

Robin Williams Memorial Service: Family Gathers For Touching Goodbye

Of course, we knew that Robin was struggling at the time of his death. His rep revealed in a statement on Aug. 11 that the acclaimed actor and comedian had been “battling severe depression as of late,” and his wife, Susan Schneider, 50, also admitted in a statement that Robin was in the early stages of Parkinson’s Disease before his death.

Robin’s family, friends and fans are still grieving his loss, and many of them gathered together for private memorial service in the San Francisco Bay Area on Aug. 16, according to a new report.

The memorial service, which was planned by Robin’s wife, Susan Schneider, 50, was likely a “small” gathering because both Robin and Susan were “very private people,” a source told E! News. The actor’s precious children, Zak, Zelda and Cody, were no doubt on hand for the service.

We continue to send our thoughts and prayers out to Robin’s family and friends during this trying time.

– Tierney McAfee

More Robin Williams News:

1. Robin Williams & Wife Hoped To Have Kids Before His Tragic Suicide
  2. Rush Limbaugh Slammed For Dissing Robin Williams After Suicide
  3. Robin Williams: Last Photos Revealed – A Day Before Suicide

Ame

Posted at 2:07 PM on September 16, 2014

When will we read the full toxicology report to determine which prescribed and DEADLY pharmaceutical drugs were administered to Robin at Hazelden? Don’t believe the hype and spin on depression alone causing suicide.

Laura Azar

Posted at 10:09 AM on August 21, 2014

How sad is it, you poor woman, that you need to say something about this tragedy, when you are suppose to focus on yourself.

Go back to rehab, you are not sober

Ame

Posted at 2:13 PM on September 16, 2014

Exactly!

Donna Davis

Posted at 6:13 PM on August 19, 2014

Teresa Cohen violated one of the first rules of recovery/rehab: privacy. It was his story to tell, not hers. Shame on you, Teresa! After all he contributed to the world, he and his family deserve better that this drivel. And, to those who blame wives, or others, for his decision: NONE of us know what goes on in the personal lives of others. Save your judgement for yourself

Ame

Posted at 2:13 PM on September 16, 2014

Exactly. Why is this patient making public personal conversations with Robin? Oh, for personal notoriety. Nothing this thoughtless person says could have helped Robin or anyone else.

guest 1

Posted at 8:07 PM on August 18, 2014

@ rebecca Robin Williams was married to his 2nd wife for nearly 20 years. He then had a fling with a younger woman and left his 2nd wife. That didn’t work out, obviously and then he met and married his 3rd wife. I hardly think his 2nd wife married him for his money or she could have divorced him when her kids were still young and gotten child support. Further more he suffered depression and substance abuse before those 2 marriages.

becky

Posted at 12:55 AM on August 20, 2014

the second wife seduced robin when he was still married to his first wife……robin married gold diggers that drove him to depression and suicide….why was the last wife not monitoring robin knowing he was depressed….he will be making over 100m and had done a poor job as a wife

Ame

Posted at 2:16 PM on September 16, 2014

Unbelievable and vitriolic speculation. You need to listen to Robin’s interviews, in which he stated his marriage was already over due to his addiction behaviors.

rebecca

Posted at 7:55 PM on August 18, 2014

his second and last wife drove him to depression and suicide….they married him for his money…..

Donna Davis

Posted at 6:15 PM on August 19, 2014

Disappointing to read such judgement about someone you didn’t know. Save it.

Ame

Posted at 2:17 PM on September 16, 2014

Please don’t project your own potential behaviors onto the innocent.

Fred in AZ

Posted at 1:23 AM on August 18, 2014

I’ve been in off drugs, including alcohol, for 26 years. I’ve heard “I want to die sober(or clean)” more times than I can count. When I was younger there was this elderly and sickly old timer. I will always remember him saying the following: “I hear all these young people talking about how they want to die sober. I’m much closer to death than they are. I’m just concerned about living sober.” I miss that crotchety old fart.

Loopy

Posted at 12:46 AM on August 18, 2014

That b$&@/?! , I mean snitch should be barred from rehab for life. Private is private, she is violating the family and Robin.

Ame

Posted at 2:19 PM on September 16, 2014

She ought to be sued by the William family.

Carolyn

Posted at 12:18 AM on August 18, 2014

Having gone through many years of deep depression where suicide seemed the most logical way out, fighting the urge to kill myself, on a regular basis, I understand the dark night of the soul that Robin went through, of loneliness and hopelessness. RIP Nanno Nanno.

INNOCENT AMAECHI

Posted at 8:03 AM on August 18, 2014

HAVING SEEING WHAT HAPPENS TO ROBIN WILLIAMS, IT REACHES OUT TO MANY INDIVIDUALS WHO HAD A BIG PROBLEM INSIDE AND BE EATING UP WITH A DISEASE NO ONE NO NOTHING ABOUT IS BOUND TO COMMIT SUICIDE JUST ROBIN WILLIAMS. WITH THIS I AM POINTING AT US THAT NEVER SHARE ESSENTIALS PROBLEMS TO SOUL MATE.

Ame

Posted at 2:23 PM on September 16, 2014

Why are you shouting? You are speculating as to what really happened. In fact, Robin was prescribed deadly drugs? Drugs which caused him to sleep 18 – 20 hours after his release from Hazelden, and which has and does cause suicidal and homicidal behaviors along with a myriad of other symptoms including those that mimic Parkinson’s disease?

Cerc

Posted at 10:05 AM on September 30, 2014

Carolyn–couldn’t have said it better, my feelings exactly. RIP Robin. We love you.

Doug V

Posted at 11:15 PM on August 17, 2014

I wonder if Robin Williams was suffering from bipolar disorder. He has been depressed for years. He would come out of it only to go back into depression. 65% of alcoholics also have bipolar disorder. If Robin had bipolar disorder, with his celebrity, and appeal he would not have been shunned like everyday people are. It would have helped the cause to educate America on this debilitating disorder.

Ame

Posted at 2:25 PM on September 16, 2014

There is no test which proved there is such a disease as bipolar.

katie

Posted at 9:21 PM on August 17, 2014

It is disgraceful that Ms. Cohen broke the trust and anonymity of Robin Williams. Shame on her, guarantee you she is not clean and sober as part of recovery is respecting others. Shame on HL for repeatinh her gossip. Let this man and his family have some peace and respect.

steve

Posted at 9:35 PM on August 18, 2014

You are totally correct Katie! Teresa is a disgrace to recovery!!

L. Kidd

Posted at 8:43 PM on August 17, 2014

I cried when I heard about Robin Williams. I watched him from his Mork and Mindy days. Loved his work and the endless laughs he gave us. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Robin has left his mark in the comedy world and will be desperately missed.
You are forever in my heart.

TwilightDerpy20 (@TwilightDerpy20)

Posted at 8:32 PM on August 17, 2014

It’s certainly tragic that, for a man who had brought many of us in the world, joy and laughter… Could not find laughter or joy for himself.

Andrea Zelones

Posted at 7:48 PM on August 17, 2014

Greatest man to ever walk on this planet. He brought so much joy to all. Wish we could have given back enough joy to him to make him happy and whole…such a loss.

Barbara Sobel

Posted at 4:38 PM on August 17, 2014

Very nice since what is said in rehab is supposed to stay in rehab. This woman ‘claims’ to have been in rehab with Robin. However, due to HIPPA Regulations it can not be confirmed. Consequently, the FACTS can not be verified. Tell you what. Print I was in Rehab with Robin Williams. He hated the food and couldn’t wait to spend time with his daughter. What I said has as much credibility as the source quoted here.

Ame

Posted at 2:26 PM on September 16, 2014

Awesome. She’s a shill anyway.

Eviii

Posted at 4:21 PM on August 17, 2014

Just leave his memory alone already, it’s already bad enough without publicity seeking b#tches like Teresa spilling his utter private moments.
Rehab is supposed to be a safe place where you can empty your emotions without fearing that everyone will find out, what this idiot Teresa is doing is just shameful, I hope karma will hit her bad.

Ame

Posted at 2:27 PM on September 16, 2014

Ditto!

EdieS

Posted at 3:23 PM on August 17, 2014

Wow. This woman’s motives and ethics are questionable. Why would she believe it is appropriate to discuss what went on in rehab? That is scandalous.

My Flower Pros (@myflowerpros)

Posted at 7:54 AM on August 19, 2014

Some people just can’t hold their tongues! Wow. I have 2 children in recovery and they only speak of themselves when talking to me. They never talk about another participant. My daughter told me that she could be thrown out of NA if she discusses anyone’s private business. My son said the same about AA. I have much respect for that as I wouldn’t want my children’s biz spread around. Of course we know it hasn’t been an easy path for any of them, that’s why it’s so important that they trust one another. Teresa makes me sad for any and all involved in NA, AA or rehabs. 🙊 Speak no evil! Gossip sux

Fred in AZ

Posted at 1:20 PM on August 19, 2014

I am not speaking for any 12-Step fellowship. I’ve been in recovery for 26 years. I’m pretty sure you cannot be banned from NA or AA. Individual people may not want anything to do with you, and they may make you feel unwelcome. However, banishing people violates both groups third tradition.

I am more familiar with NA than AA. That’s where I did most of my service. I have been on and even chaired more than a few NA service committees. Thank goodness, we never had a membership committee. Even in recovery, I can be very difficult and most unpleasant, and I am not unique in that manner.

I hope the anonymity breaker actually works steps and makes amends, for her own sake. When we fail to follow our traditions, we suffer from “self-will run riot.” This is a very bad state for any addict; since alcohol is a drug, this includes alcoholics. Part of the decision I made in the third step was to follow the traditions to the best of my ability.

mamareb

Posted at 1:33 PM on August 20, 2014

You can not be “thrown out” of NA or AA. But the word “anonymous” is in there for a reason. One is not to share anything that goes on inside of a group.

Ame

Posted at 2:28 PM on September 16, 2014

Perhaps, a nice sum of cash.