Robin Williams’ Depression Battle — How He Hid Suicidal Thoughts

Tue, August 12, 2014 11:31am EDT by 14 Comments 18,639 Article Views
Robin Williams Depression Suicide
Courtesy of Twitter

LK

Posted at 8:32 AM on August 15, 2014

Maybe depression is a reaction to the upside down techno/profit driven cold, shallow world we live in. If people truly cared for each other for who they are and not their intellectual and financial achievements, there would be more harmony and happiness in the world

cielomydream

Posted at 8:04 AM on August 13, 2014

What people forget about depression is that unless it’s reactive depression (a chemical change in the brain affecting your emotions in response to some traumatic or grief invoking event such as death), it’s a completely physical. It’s easy to say there are options and there are ways out, but unless you’ve had it, you can’t possibly understand it. It’s strange to me that the stigma around depression and other mental illnesses like bipolar still exist. Depression revolves around brain chemistry. Statistically, those that are found to be depressed are also found to carry it in their genes. It’s the same way as heart disease can run in genes. Studies have shown that those prone to depression don’t have the receptor blockers that would ordinarily block it in the brain. It’s all to do with brain chemistry. Having depression is as physical as having a lung or heart condition. I understand Robin has battled this particular illness his entire life and unfortunately the disease won in the end. More awareness is needed.

Kalani

Posted at 10:19 PM on August 12, 2014

Life has no meaning so who cares. Recreational and prescription drugs are the main cause of depression.

Mo

Posted at 10:16 PM on August 12, 2014

Those of you that have never dealt with such a tragic and conflicting death of a loved one, you are fortunate. I lost my best friend when I was 15 to suicide and my sister when I was 25. Still devastated over it. I wish I could have been more encouraging, helpful etc…but they made up there mind and in an instant..done. I miss them much!

Mae

Posted at 10:11 PM on August 12, 2014

I understand how he felt. I tried suicide when I was a teenager. It was such a dark place in my mind that I couldn’t see beyond the moment. No thoughts of the finality of it or of those I would leave behind. Just the dark dark place I was in. Please don’t judge people until you walk a mile in their shoes!!! My heart breaks for the loss

Been There and It was Horrifying

Posted at 6:06 PM on August 12, 2014

I’ve had severe depression. I had to not only have my med dosages tweaked constantly, but get rid of the allergens that weren’t making the SSRIs work. It was a battle, but I had no choice except to take charge and read up on the meds (with their adjuncts) themselves. Now I am 100% free, but the battle was 5 years long and horribly brutal. If I left it to the docs I wouldn’t be writing this. All of them were horrible. The depression started when my periods came back after decades of absence.

Flynn

Posted at 6:58 PM on August 14, 2014

We, are all mourning the loss of an comic genius! Your contribution was all about you!!! Get out more!,

truthman30

Posted at 5:27 PM on August 12, 2014

Often the anti-depressants can exacerbate depression, and cause a state of akathisia which leads to suicide… the pills can often be the problem..

kk

Posted at 2:33 PM on August 12, 2014

“Sucide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.” RIP Robin Williams, I grew up watching your films and you were one of my favourite actors. :'(

nat

Posted at 1:17 PM on August 12, 2014

It has always been hard for me understand why people commit suicide when there is so much help out there, especially if you are rich enough to afford it. It’s hard to believe that you would not think of the hurt you are leaving behind through your children and people that care about you. Is suicide only thinking of yourself and not how devastated your family will be without you? It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around someone who had so much but felt it wasn’t enough.

Shelly

Posted at 5:16 PM on August 12, 2014

I don’t think suicide is a selfish decision. After all, you should be the only one who owns your own life. If someone thinks about ending his life, he’ll not believe he can be helped. Yes, ofcourse there are plenty of things he could have tried. But when you’re at a point of thinking that you’re not worth living.. And when it feels like life is no more than a burden, he must have thought it was the only way “out” of his problems. It isn’t just a realisation that you’re not doing well and you need to fix it.. It’s believing there is no possible help and nothing to work for.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m really shocked about the news and I really wish something had been done to help him. But I can’t blame him for this choice.

Been There and It was Horrifying

Posted at 6:08 PM on August 12, 2014

You’ve never had it that severely. Williams was seeking relief.

pamelagh

Posted at 7:58 PM on August 12, 2014

In that moment he likely thought he was helping his family and friends. He probably thought they would be better off without him around. That’s not selfish, that’s having your mind so twisted with depression that you think the only option to save yourself and your family is to end it all. It could also be that his illness tricked him in to thinking no one loved him.

gtizwayanb

Posted at 11:45 AM on August 12, 2014

.Are you still single ? You are not alone. Free join~ ♥ M i x e d Luv. Ćom ♥ ~~ Millions of singles have joined it.. This is a Serious interracial dating site for black and white singles seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more. Single black people meeting single white people is why we are here. Hundreds of new interracial singles who same as you join here everyday.xcbxcb