Robin Williams: Did Lifelong Addiction Contribute To His Death?

Tue, August 12, 2014 12:20am EDT by 15 Comments 105,630 Article Views

Oscar-winning actor Robin Williams was found dead on Aug. 11. It’s been reported that suicide may be the cause of his death. Did Robin’s longtime addiction lead to this tragic event?

Robin Williams reportedly struggled with depression and addiction for much of his Hollywood career. The actor tragically died at his home in Tiburon, Calif. at just 63 years old on Aug. 11. While fans of the actor grieve this loss, many wonder what caused the gifted actor’s tragic passing.

Robin Williams’ Death: Did Addiction Contribute To His Tragic Passing?

Robin spoke out publicly about many of his struggles throughout his life and career. The actor was very open and honest about his tough times. Here are some of the candid struggles Robin shared before his death.

Robin Williams’ Deep Dark Depression Revealed: Couldn’t Be Saved

His Struggles With Alcohol

Robin was open that he once abused alcohol, but said he quit before his oldest son was born in 1983. Robin admitted to The Guardian that he fell off the wagon (after 20 years of sobriety) while on a movie set in Alaska in 2003.

Robin Williams’ Kids: Take Comfort In The Outpouring Of Love For Your Dad

“I was in a small town where it’s not the edge of the world, but you can see it from there, and then I thought: drinking. I just thought, hey, maybe drinking will help. Because I felt alone and afraid. It was that thing of working so much, and going f*ck, maybe that will help. And it was the worst thing in the world.” He said that after his first drink, he felt “warm” and wonderful,” but then “the next thing you know, it’s a problem, and you’re isolated,” he told The Guardian.

Robin re-entered rehab for alcoholism in August 2006. He reportedly visited rehab once again in July 2014 to focus on his sobriety.

Robin’s Addiction To Cocaine

Robin Williams Dead At 63: Daughter ‘Absolutely Devastated’ & Inconsolable

Robin was vocal about his addiction to cocaine during the late ’70s and early ’80s. The talented actor credited the death of his friend John Belushi (who reportedly died from cocaine and heroine) and the birth of son with helping him get off the drug. In 1988, Rob opened up to People magazine.

“Cocaine for me was a place to hide. Most people get hyper on coke. It slowed me down,” he admitted. He said he quit cocaine cold turkey after John died. “The Belushi tragedy was frightening. His death scared a whole group of show-business people. It caused a big exodus from drugs. And for me, there was the baby coming. I knew I couldn’t be a father and live that sort of life,” he told People at the time.

His Health Problems

Three years after entering rehab for alcohol addiction, Robin had a major heart health scare. During his Weapons Of Self Destruction tour, Robin was admitted to the hospital and underwent surgery to replace an aortic valve.

Robin told the New York Times he had “a bit of fear” that the surgery would kill him and also told the magazine the health scare changed him forever.

“I think, literally, because you have cracked the chest, you are vulnerable, totally, for the first time since birth. It’s like, oh, don’t get weepy now. My children! My babies,” he told the publication.

His Battle With Depression

After Robin’s death, his publicist Mara Buxbaum issued the following statement, according to our sister site Variety:

“Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

It is so devastating that someone who brought SO much joy and talent to this world also struggled so much in private. The world has lost a comic genius.

Our thoughts are with Robin’s loved ones as they grieve during this very difficult time.

WATCH: Robin Williams Talks About His Struggles With Addiction

– Megan Ross

More Robin Williams News:

1. Robin Williams’ Wife ‘Utterly Heartbroken’ Over Tragic Death — See Statement
  2. Robin Williams Found Dead At 63
  3. Robin Williams, 62, Checks Into Rehab To Maintain His Sobriety

Ashanti Dennery Ashanti

Posted at 12:59 PM on September 6, 2014

R.I.P Robin Williams you are going to be really miss love you!!!!!!

Leande' Klopper

Posted at 3:57 PM on August 14, 2014

I am truly sorry and totally devastated to hear about Robin Williams death. I admired him greatly for bringing so much joy and happiness into the movie business, and merely brightening my day when life seemed tough. In my eyes, he was my hero and I will cherish his memory forever! My condolences to the family as well!

marix Elizondo

Posted at 11:22 PM on August 13, 2014

To all who knew him as a friend father husband etc..you will be greatly missed but remembered though all your movies shows. Voice overs in toons..Mr.Williams you brought so much joy in my home ..it hurt my heart as if i knew you personaly.i cried so hard thn was overjoyed cause i knew you would be making everyone in heaven laugh as you did here in dis life ..may you rest your head in heavens clouds.n in peace. Amen ..much love n prayers sent to his family..

lil hector

Posted at 2:29 PM on August 12, 2014

It pains my heart to hear such terrible news. We all want him hear but we must overlook are selfishness to reason with gods plan for this legendary champion of are hearts. R.I.P Robin Williams and may you dine at gods table.

Keera Somerville

Posted at 2:21 PM on August 12, 2014

Can’t believe he is gone! Mrs Dumpfire, centennial man etc…. My favorite of his many movies that made me laugh, cry, smile,curse lol etc… You surely will be missed but remembered by your TV shows movies kind gesture,bad actions, struggles and pain,love honesty etc….. My condolences to the family and all the people who knew him as a person,actor, and a friend always wanted to meet him and just say thank you for all the positive you brought and the negative you gave as lessons of life! You will always be remembered for the person you are and the wonderful impact you had on the world especially in Belize,Central America and on me growing up wactchin your movies etc.

Douglas j.Nagle

Posted at 12:28 PM on August 12, 2014

To a great comedian ,and one that make me laugh and forget the world for a while .I will always laugh ,thanks for all you have brought to everyone and all the people all over who worked with him .

Glenda

Posted at 12:02 PM on August 12, 2014

Robin…
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die!

gtizwayanb

Posted at 11:42 AM on August 12, 2014

.Are you still single ? You are not alone. Free join~ ♥ M i x e d Luv. Ćom ♥ ~~ Millions of singles have joined it.. This is a Serious interracial dating site for black and white singles seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more. Single black people meeting single white people is why we are here. Hundreds of new interracial singles who same as you join here everyday.bcxbxcb

aly

Posted at 10:35 AM on August 12, 2014

r.i.p robin you made me laugh <3

minea

Posted at 9:36 AM on August 12, 2014

An increadible human,being a legend he made so many kids laugh n he had it so naturally…even his voice was one of a kind n d way he spoke alone u new he was going to make u laugh so effortlessly i love u robin…R.I.P

DD

Posted at 7:43 AM on August 12, 2014

In answer to your question HL: I’d say hell yes.

Christine Miller

Posted at 5:39 AM on August 12, 2014

“Poetry, beauty, romance, love – these are what we stay alive for” was one his best quotes from Dead Poets Society. He was truly a gifted actor and be missed in Hollywood.

fashionaddictedpanda

Posted at 1:39 AM on August 12, 2014

that interview just makes me love him more

Robinfan4eva

Posted at 3:01 PM on August 12, 2014

RIP Robin AKA Cocaine cowboy WILLIAMS!!!!

meglana