Jessa Duggar’s Boyfriend Ben Seewald Slammed After Anti-Catholic Rant

Fri, July 25, 2014 3:00pm EDT by 60 Comments 33,080 Article Views
Jessa Duggar Boyfriend
Courtesy of Instagram/Facebook

Amber

Posted at 2:15 AM on October 29, 2014

Shut up people he can say what he wants. You all have way to much time on your hands. Get a hobby.

Kevin

Posted at 10:35 PM on October 1, 2014

Stupid literalist Ignorant hateful Christians…they drip Jesus from their lips but act in ways he would absolutely abhor. As far as works are concerned, Catholics are not told to do good works so that they can fill up their ‘heavenly’ scorecard..they do it because it is representative of the actions of Jesus. Its no wonder you are persecuted for your dumb beliefs, you are not worth including in an intellectual discussion.

Kelly

Posted at 1:16 AM on October 1, 2014

He posted a comment on his personal Facebook page, of his personal opinion. Why on earth are people blowing it up, and trying to make out like he hates Catholic people? He has different religious beliefs so of course he’s going to disagree with certain parts of the Catholic church. Big whoop.

Lisa

Posted at 5:54 PM on September 30, 2014

I am Baptist, but have several Catholic friends and family…He should stick to topics he knows something about. The rant makes him look foolish and arrogant.

Faye

Posted at 3:50 AM on September 24, 2014

As a Catholic, I have frequently found myself listening to person or person’s of other faith’s speaking negatively and totally in error regarding our beliefs. In this case, this is a 19 year old young man with much maturing ahead. I’m sure that Ben will be more cautious now that he is “a person of interest” due to the scrutiny placed on those in the media. People much older do not take time to research information before stating it as an actual truth. I love my Catholic’s faith. I do not enter into argument’s nor take offense on any level due to the comment’s being baseless. Jesus loves each…and I strive to as well.

Cathy

Posted at 5:03 PM on September 19, 2014

The best explanation that I have heard on those scriptures came from EWTN today. Ben did not use in his quote the verse that followed Eph. 2:8-9. He left off verse 10 which states For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them.
He completely ignores “so we may do them”. We will be held accountable. The Beatitudes tell us how we are to live. Ben needs to speak to Patrick Madrid or someone who is an expert on the Catholic interpretation of the Bible. I am sure like many Protestants do that he listens to other Protestants on what Catholics believe instead of going to the real source, someone who is a scholar on the Catholic interpretation of the Bible.
We do believe that Mary was without sin, but she was still a human being like the rest of us, in need of salvation. Jesus did not need salvation, but he was still crucified for all of us, was he not? It is a petty argument to bring up in the first place. He became one of us, like us in all things except sin.
The Bible states that we are not to judge others. The measure with which we measure others will be used to measure us. I am sure Ben’s intentions were good. I hope he can get past the remarks he made about his own Christian brothers and sisters. I certainly forgive him. I am not perfect either.
I just wish that before people pick on Catholics or any other religion that they would go to the experts on the subject instead of listening to hearsay.
I believe it was Patrick Madrid addressing this issue this afternoon on the topic of Ben Seewald’s remarks. He is the one I recommend that Ben talk to. I cannot explain it the way he does, but he does an excellent job of it.

Elle

Posted at 3:10 PM on September 18, 2014

sorry, I don’t see what the big deal is – he’s simply stating his own opinions and I’m pretty sure that’s perfectly legal. Then again, I’m not religious, but if people find they get offended at something like this, then I personally think they have other problems.. they should ask themselves: Why do I get so easily offended by such trivial matters?

Sarah

Posted at 11:37 PM on September 13, 2014

Poor Ben definitely has some misinformation on the Catholic Church, as well as some oversimplification of scripture out of context. I know a lot of Catholics enjoy their show because of the great respect for life and children. However, when Catholics are misunderstood and therefore attacked, it hurts quite a bit.

Cathy

Posted at 5:05 PM on September 19, 2014

You are right, Sarah.

Michele

Posted at 2:32 PM on September 13, 2014

I am Catholic and I know many Catholics that watch their show. If they begin to bash other Christian faiths, their show will take a hit. I won’t watch it anymore. I know full well that I don’t agree with many of their beliefs but it’s a good wholesome show that I can watch with my kids. Not many of those these days. If this happens again, we will probably stop watching. And Ben is very much ignoring scripture BTW.

Marilyn

Posted at 3:01 PM on September 11, 2014

Seewald should keep quiet Ben Seewald should keep quiet and respect other people’s religion. What makes him think he is an authority on Catholicism? How would he like it if someone criticized his beliefs. It is disapointing that the Duggars did not come out and say we do not agree with Ben’s remarks and we respect everyone’s religion and beliefs.
Sadly Disappointed With This Situation

renee (@rimccormack)

Posted at 2:46 PM on September 9, 2014

If you look up the scriptures he referenced, in the bible, they support what he is saying. We are saved through grace and not good works.. and yes, I was raised a catholic.
Jessa will back him up because he is scripturally correct.

wur r

Posted at 10:24 PM on September 17, 2014

Read James: Faith without action is dead. The Catholic definition of the word “Faith” is that it is simply intellectually knowing something. Catholics know that just believing that God exists is not enough. For example, we believe that satan exists, yet we surely do not worship him, have any hope in him, or have a loving relationship with him which makes us want to do good. Therefore, Catholics add to Faith the terms Hope and Charity. The Catholic “faith+love+charity” is equal to the Protestant definition of faith. Therefore, there really is no disagreement between Catholics and other Christian as to how we are saved. The disagreement arises when people confuse semantics.

Marie

Posted at 8:12 PM on October 5, 2014

Agreed….he’s proclaiming the truth and expressing his concern for all who look for good works to earn them a right standing with the thrice Holy God….Keep it up, Ben

Ellen

Posted at 6:28 AM on September 9, 2014

If 19 Kids & Counting starts bashing any Religion or Other peoples Faith or if Josh uses the Show to Promote what his Job is in DC I would definitely stop watching their Show or Follow them~it’s a Good wholesome Family Reality Show now but not if they bring in Political or RELIGIOUS beliefs!

t smith

Posted at 2:20 AM on October 29, 2014

Obviously you don’t watch the show. They’re a religious family. They don’t shy away from proclaiming their faith. They’re constantly praying. They share why they choose to dress modestly, live differently, and have many children,due to their faith in God. They believe what they want to believe. I was raised Catholic. I don’t have any hurt feelings over Ben’s statements. Its what he believes. Just because I may not agree with him, doesn’t make me a Protestant basher either. This is just another liberal media attempt to get Jesus loving people against each other and make it sound worse than what it is.

kit

Posted at 10:39 PM on September 8, 2014

I was born and raised Catholic…he is being somewhat ignorant and that comes from not understanding. I don’t understand or agree with his religion, but that is his business. I don’t care what religion you are, but don’t cut down someone else’s beliefs, like you know everything at what “19”? We all come from the same God and we will all have to answer to him in the end.