Boy, 3, & Pet Dog Die Trapped In Hot Car While Mom Napped

Mon, July 7, 2014 6:07pm EDT by 7 Comments 12,035 Article Views
Boy Dog Die Hot Car
Courtesy of Facebook

Tragic news. Logan Cox, 3, died on July 6 — four days after he and his dog were accidentally trapped in the family car on the hottest day of the year. How awful.

Logan Cox, 3, had been missing for less than an hour before he was found locked inside a parked car in front of the family’s home on July 2 in South Carolina. He was airlifted to a hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina where he died four days later due to heatstroke on July 6, according to the Carolinas Medical Center. Somehow, the toddler wandered out of the family home and became trapped inside the vehicle with his pet dog while his mom was sleeping on the couch.

Boy, 3, & Dog Die After Being Accidentally Trapped In Hot Car While Mom Slept

This is a truly unfortunate accident.

Logan Cox and his canine companion died after being trapped inside a hot car while they were playing unsupervised. The 3-year-old’s mother was watching television with him, but accidentally fell asleep.

This is when Logan slipped out the front door of the house with the dog and somehow ended up inside the car.

Investigators with the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office say the toddler left the home without his mother knowing it, got into the car with the family’s dog, and sadly got trapped inside.

“I know it was an accident,” Logan’s grandfather, Jimmy Clevinger, told the press after the little boy’s heartbreaking death. “My daughter was laying on the couch with him watching TV and my wife was in the bedroom.”

Logan’s mother believes she was asleep for about 30 minutes when she woke up and ran outside to find her son. He was slumped over inside the brutally hot car with the doors closed and the windows up. Sadly, the dog was also trapped inside the car and had already died by the time Logan’s mother discovered them.

After he was found, Logan was airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C. where he died four days later. So sad.

2014’s Drastically High Number Of Child Deaths In Hot Cars

Although the summer of 2014 has just started, at least 13 children have died from heat stroke from being left in or climbing in vehicles and getting trapped, according to KidsAndCars.org, a nonprofit child-safety organization that monitors news sites and police reports involving children and vehicle accidents.

Most notably is Cooper Harris, 22 months old, whose father, Justin Ross Harris, 33, has been charged with second-degree child cruelty and felony murder. Justin’s wife Leanna Harris, 30, is also now being investigated in their son’s tragic death.

– Brittany King

More Sad Deaths News:

Robbin

Posted at 2:08 AM on July 15, 2014

I think we need more information before I can form feelings in this situation. Like how hot was the car inside and how would be trapped inside this hot car before having a heat stroke. It says she was only asleep for 30 minutes and it took them some time to find him once she noticed him gone. This could either be a horrific accident that could happen to anyone or it could be parents neglecting the child by letting them roam and do whatever while they sleep. Too many parents these days think it’s ok to sit a child in front of a tv or their rooms and say play and expect them to be ok while they sleep all day. They’re lazy they don’t want to watch and take care of the kids they expect a toddler to take care of themselves. But for this I don’t have the right info to decide which is the case! Prayers to the family and friends regardless!

Dave flora

Posted at 2:36 PM on July 10, 2014

There’s only one person responsible for this debacle. Little Logan and no one else. I’m sure the parents are devastated and I feel very bad for them but I hope they will stop feeling guilty. They are blameless. . It’s Logan’s fault and he killed that poor dog too

Diana Potter

Posted at 1:40 PM on July 8, 2014

It is NOT just a “horrible accident.” The adults KNEW the child could unlock the door, yet they took no responsible action to prevent it. The public’s sympathy for parents whose children die in hot cars seems totally unwarranted to me. It reminds me, in terms of where we are now with the issue, of the way drunk drivers who caused deaths and injuries used to be treated: as if they couldn’t help themselves, poor things, so let’s go easy on them in the courts. No more. I can only hope that public sympathy for people who leave or otherwise allow children to die hideous deaths in hot cars will change in the same way. These people are not taking proper care of their children, period. It’s no different from not feeding them, except it kills them faster.

Mel

Posted at 8:29 AM on July 8, 2014

Well yes I can see how it would happen. I have a 3 yr old little boy and he can be sneaky and so silently climbs benches and tables. I could see him climbing into my car as he does when we go out. Plus our cat follows the kids everywhere.. So it’s not impossible nor that unlikely. Absolutely tragic. I couldn’t imagine the guilt.

vivian

Posted at 9:29 PM on July 7, 2014

Hi there, if you don’t mind, I would like to recommend a bisexual dating site to you. Bisexual women looking for bisexual couples ,if you are looking for that ,here you can find your love and partners
❤Women Looking For Couples. Ćom ❤ the largest place to meet local successful, attractive and available BISEXUAL single and couples !! Hope you will like it.good luck for you . ngfjhgjgjy.

sarah

Posted at 7:29 PM on July 7, 2014

Must have been a pretty smart 3 year old to open a car door get inside…wait for the dog to get inside…then shut the door? hmm…

Anon

Posted at 10:47 PM on July 7, 2014

I agree. This is a most unbelievable story. A 3 year old AND a dog “quietly” get outside AND “quietly” (and seemingly effortlessly) open the car doors (or climb through the windows) AND then BOTH “quietly” sit there as they SLOWLY AND EXCRUCIATINGLY DIE. THIS IS NOT A QUICK AND PAINLESS DEATH BY ANY MEANS. IT TAKES TIME.!!! I’m sorry. I’m not buying the mother’s “nap” story. Sadly there has become so many of these cases in the news lately and I fear it has given the idea to some people that it’s an “excusable mistake.” I hope the DA does all the proper investigating in this case. Two innocent, living beings died a horrid, slow death while the mother allegedly “napped” (most likely in air conditioning, too).