‘Teen Wolf’ Season 4 Spoilers: 5 Things To Know Before The Premiere

Mon, June 23, 2014 3:10pm EDT by 33 Comments 20,085 Article Views

Season 4 of ‘Teen Wolf’ premieres June 23, and a LOT happened in Season 3B. See below for five things to know before we dive in!

Season 4 of Teen Wolf is finally upon us, and after the action and sorrow-packed season that was 3B, we thought you might need a refresher course. For those of you who need to be caught up, or for those who simply can’t wait and need all the Teen Wolf they can get, check out the top five things to know before the premiere, from cold hard facts to our best guesses. Careful – SPOILERS are below!

‘Teen Wolf’ Season 4 Spoilers — New Characters, Kate Argent, The Benefactor & More

Season 4 spoiler roundup below!

1. New Characters Ahoy!

A host of new characters will be joining the cast. Not only have Arden Cho (Kira) and Shelley Hennig (Malia) been upped to season regulars, but Teen Wolf fans will also meet:

1a. Liam (Dylan Sprayberry), a handsome (obviously), cocky transfer student to Beacon Hills High. A freshman — played by an actual 15-year-old — Liam is rumored to be a bit of a troublemaker, who (SPOILER!!) becomes Scott’s first-ever beta. And we thought Derek liked ‘em young.

1b. Mason (Khylin Rambo) brings the representation as a gay athlete who is rumored to be recreating the Danny-and-Jackson friendship from Season 1 and 2 (shut up, you’re crying) and will be besties with Garrett (Mason Dye). He will also be involved with the supernatural element.

1c. Not much is known about Garrett, but we do know that he’s Mason’s best friend, and that he’ll be on the lacrosse team.

1d. The character of Brett (Cody Saintgue) was only announced on June 16, and so not much is known as of yet. All we know so far is that he was Liam’s rival at the school that Liam transferred away from. Looks like Liam and Brett will be rivals again for Rivals 2: The Rivalry! (Not apologizing for that.)

There are a few other characters that have been announced, but we don’t know who’s playing them yet, so, moving on!

2. Kate Argent Is A Werejaguar

Remember Kate Argent (Jill Wagner)? Yeah, she’s a werejaguar, and her machinations have led to Derek being captured and tortured in some mysterious way — again. All Derek does is get captured. We’d applaud Teen Wolf‘s subversion of the damsel in distress trope, but we’re not so sure that’s their goal.

Anyway, we don’t know how Kate being a werejaguar is a thing, but we can probably assume that it won’t be explained other than the fact that she was scratched, not bitten — in our interview with Shelley Hennig, she revealed to HollywoodLife.com that Season 4 won’t delve into the explanation for the fact that she, despite being Peter’s daughter, is a werecoyote.

My proposed tagline for Season 5? Teen Wolf: Not Really Interested In The Finer Details Of Its Own Mythology.

3. Allison Is Dead, JR Bourne Is In Paris, And He Probably Left Isaac There

Not to reopen old wounds or anything, but, Allison (Crystal Reed) is still dead. Whomp. After her death, Chris (JR Bourne) and Isaac (Daniel Sharman) took off to Paris to get rid of the triskelion box which had the evil nogitsune fly (I DON’T KNOW) trapped inside. Daniel Sharman has left Teen Wolf in favor of The CW’s The Originals, and we can only assume that, hilariously, Chris left Isaac in Paris.

JR revealed in an exclusive interview with HollywoodLife.com that Chris will get called back to Beacon Hills after Scott asks for his help in dealing with The Benefactor and other related supernatural mayhem. Allison’s loss will be deeply felt throughout the season, as will the new code — “We protect those who cannot protect themselves.”

4. Stalia Is A Thing — Sorry ‘Bout It

In Season 3B’s “Echo House,” Malia and Stiles (Dylan O’Brien) hooked up in the basement of the psychiatric institution they were both staying in. Not super romantic, not super healthy. But it waaaas sexy. Fight me about it. Dylan revealed at Alpha Con in Vienna that sex between the two was indeed implied, but that he wasn’t really down with filming anything more explicit than what ended up making it to air. That said, many Teen Wolf loyalists are unhappy with how their relationship has developed, and all sides have their very valid points.

However, their relationship continues in Season 4, as Malia considers Stiles to be her “mate,” and both creator Jeff Davis and the cast are enthusiastic about their relationship. Having seen the premiere, I can almost guarantee that even the Stalia haters will be down with Malia and her expanded role for the season, independent from her relationship with Stiles! Or they won’t, and they are free to come after me in the night.

5. The Big Bad For The Season Is The Benefactor

Finally, just to prepare you for the season arc, the Big Bad for Teen Wolf‘s fourth season is The Benefactor. He or she is behind a dead pool of assassins who have been hired to take out the supernatural residents of Beacon Hills. So… everybody, then? Every single person? We see a couple of baddies in the trailer above, including that scary mouthless thing and the floaty zombie thing — are they the supernaturals that are being taken out, or are they The Benefactor’s assassins?

As for The Benefactor, I’m thinking it’s an Argent. Gerard is still alive, after all, and we never saw a body after Chris stabbed Victoria (Eaddy Mays) in Season 2. To refresh your memory, she was bitten by Derek and it was the hunter code at the time to basically euthanize any hunter who had been bitten by an Alpha. However, as Chris’ knife went in, her eyes had turned yellow, and the change had already begun. Who’s to say she didn’t survive? If anybody has a grudge, it’s her. Furthermore, Eaddy is also still a huge part of Teen Wolf, appearing at many fan conventions.

Chris, too, may have gone off the deep end after Allison’s death — in our interview with JR, he mentioned that Chris is feeling very vengeful when he returns to Beacon Hills, and he used the same word to describe The Benefactor’s motivations. Coincidence?!?! Well, OK — very possibly.

So, HollywoodLifers, tell us: what are you most looking forward to this season? If it’s world-building, you might find yourself very disappointed. Do you see yourself sailing any new ships this season? Are you looking forward to Stalia, or will you be retreating into fanworks? Which new character are you most looking forward to meeting? Tell me all your thoughts below!

– Amanda Michelle Steiner

More ‘Teen Wolf’:

1. ‘Teen Wolf’ Actress Shelley Hennig: Malia ‘Finds Her Mate’ In Stiles
  2. ‘Teen Wolf’: JR Bourne On Allison Argent, Season 4, And Chest Hair
  3. ‘Teen Wolf’: Love Triangle For Stiles In Season 4? — Premiere SPOILERS

Betty

Posted at 8:26 PM on July 24, 2014

Honestly I’m loving stiles and malia, it’s about time stiles gets more than a one sided love, always running after Lydia while she’s sleeping and falling inlove with everyone else. She was having sexy all over the school but no one had a problem with that.

Tori

Posted at 11:08 PM on July 17, 2014

Stalia fans need to stop botting the polls holy crap.

simone

Posted at 8:20 AM on July 13, 2014

I was really looking forward to stiles and Lydia, the whole stiles and Malia thing is putting me off, I was hoping it was just a fling and nothing serious between stiles and Malia, and honestly when it gets to the 2 of them I fast forward past it and rather watch how awesome an ALPHA scott is! But more stiles and Lydia will be FANTASTIC!!!!

alex

Posted at 10:45 AM on July 11, 2014

Team stydia!!!

MONICA

Posted at 7:55 AM on June 24, 2014

Can we talk about fetus Derek? WHY ARE WE NOT TALKING ABOUT FETUS DEREK

rebeca

Posted at 8:12 PM on June 23, 2014

also I like this article and all the other one’s you’ve written!& thanks for being real and not forcing us to like her!

rebeca

Posted at 8:10 PM on June 23, 2014

Jeff may like malia but the fandom DOES NOT! like her, all my respect to shelley but the idea f malia is as bad as not having gerard dead already !

Kay

Posted at 7:44 PM on June 23, 2014

Okay. I have had enough of this whole “love Malia” thing.

I can suspend a lot if belief. Hell, this is a show about werewolves. But I have a real hard time believing that a teenage girl that spent 9 years as an animal is not only not feral but able to, among other things, function at a high school level normal for her age and oh, yeah, initiate and consent to sex.

I have a very hard time believing that Stiles Stilinski, a teenage boy who left his childhood friend, who had passionately kissed him and told him she wanted him to take her virginity, alone in a basent while he went off in search of a condom, was okay with bumping uglies with a girl he had hardly interacted with and who had PUNCHED HIM IN THE FACE only hours before in the basement of a mental institution without protection. That doesn’t even take into account that he was suffering from hallucinations, nightmares, lack of sleep, and had just been drugged by the orderly.

This pairing could not possibly have had a grosser or more inappropriate beginning, and the fact that Jeff Davis is praising it to the heavens and patting himself on the back shows that either he is incredibly out of touch with his fan base, which have pretty much made their feelings known (way to spit in the face of Sterek and Stydia shippers), or she is actually going to be evil and he is trying to distract us with the shiny first so we don’t notice. One thing the show has reiterated multiple times is coyotes are tricksters.

So good luck, Malia. Shelly Hennig really is a doll, but I am not a fan of this role. Sorry. And I doubt I will change my mind.

hipsterioi

Posted at 8:56 PM on June 23, 2014

You make such a good point. She does not know how much hate is in store for her character Malia because I know how crazy fans can get. I feel like Jeff did a really poor job on introducing her to the fandom, she had about …….2…..3 scenes or something before she was making out with a fan favorite that’s involved in 2 of the biggest ships in Teen Wolf. AND she gets a spot in the main titles theme songy thing. All that just makes me ugg…have unexplainable feeling for how this character is going to play in this story. Sorry not sorry.!

Kira

Posted at 1:20 PM on June 24, 2014

I absolutely agree with you. I feel like the plot holes are becoming way too wide in this show and Malias character just makes them even wider. It disturbs me to see how Jeff just brushes off logical questions and tells the fans to basically “not look at them” or “it’s just a show”. NO! That is not how you write a TV series! You make it logical or have a way to explain it! He did not explain why Malia can go to high school, why Malia talks and acts like a teenager, why malia is a coyote instead of werewolf, and to top it off he introduced her in the freakiest way possible. That make out scene WAS NOT SEXY. Stiles was drugged up, under stress, and had THE FREAKING NOGITSUNE IN HIM when it happened. Malia had been a coyote for YEARS. Not to mention the normal reactions of THEY DON’T KNOW EACH OTHER. This is a show for teens and Jeff is basically showing us that it’s okay to bang someone who you’ve barely said 10 words to and have zero emotional attachment to. No, just no.

No Stalia

Posted at 7:02 PM on June 23, 2014

Not really looking forward to stalia, or malia. The way they threw her charactor in here made no sense, and stiles already has had alot of love intrest, how does he go one minitue too being in love with lydia, and then malia calling him his mate. :( No

Morgan Dee

Posted at 6:56 PM on June 23, 2014

Judging by the current poll results, you’re seriously out of sync with the TW fanbase. Almost as badly as the show itself.

...

Posted at 5:21 PM on June 23, 2014

I’m sorry but having unsafe sex with a stranger in the basement of an asylum is not exactly the definition of “sexy”. The way they’re promoting S4 is like we “must” like Malia, but guess what? It’s just making us even more resentful towards this character. The more they push, the more we’ll push back. I don’t think I will change my mind. I just find the relationship with her and Stiles something wtih no logic, no developement. It literally came out of nowhere, It started in an awful way, so it will always have that stigma, doesn’t matter what kind of “strategy” they are using or will use to promote Malia or “Stalia”

Maggie

Posted at 5:18 PM on June 23, 2014

Why are they throwing all the new characters in there? What’s wrong with the ones we’ve already got? I’d love to see more of them…parents included.

As for Malia–ugh. I hope she turns out to be a bad guy, because her character makes absolutely no sense. If she’s got some glamor hanging over her, warping everyone’s perception of who she is, I could accept that. Eventually.

Still…really looking forward to seeing what Stiles and Scott, Derek, Lydia, Kira, and Chris Argent, the Sheriff and Melissa are all up to!

cas

Posted at 5:14 PM on June 23, 2014

lmao what im excited for? NOT STALIA. does jeff have any idea what hes doing anymore

Jacob

Posted at 4:28 PM on June 23, 2014

Stalia was just sloppy writing, thrown together just so Malia would have better relevance and Stiles would be more of a “hotty”. He didn’t even need it, his first time deserved more than that jesus. Still looking forward to season 4 though! Kate looks awesome, as usual

neuro

Posted at 4:25 PM on June 23, 2014

I’m strictly determined to not like Malia on the grounds that everyone keeps telling me to and I have authority issues (though I definitely do have my reasons for disliking her in the first place), but I love this article. The cynicism gives me life. I won’t be joining in this season for many reasons, but I will be keeping some tabs on the show’s progression through some friends so that I can continue to fanboy over Derek Hale from afar.

Maggie

Posted at 5:19 PM on June 23, 2014

LOL! I’m with you on the bucking authority thing!

neuro

Posted at 10:17 PM on June 23, 2014

row row fight the power

sarah

Posted at 4:01 PM on June 23, 2014

Awwww yeah, I’m excited.

Fangirl

Posted at 3:53 PM on June 23, 2014

i’d like to thank dylan for refusing a full on sex scene. i’m still pissed that they removed the claudia/stiles scenes, which dylan got upset about. the stilinski family feels are my favorite, okay. the writers should focus on parent/child relationships more because they do it best, not the fcked up romance.

Blatothebla

Posted at 6:53 PM on June 25, 2014

the writers should focus on parent/child relationships more because they do it best, not the fcked up romance. <<<< YEEES!!!! A 100 TIMES YES!!

kaede.75

Posted at 3:50 PM on June 23, 2014

“even the Stalia haters will be down with Malia”. Again? Can we not, pretty please?
- Oh look! She’s a fighter! She’s snarky! She always says the wrong thing! She doesn’t know how to operate a phone! How funny! I love her! –
Because we all know that that’s how this whole thing will be managed, right?
Doesn’t matter if the character doesn’t make sense. Because we are brainless.

kaede.75

Posted at 3:59 PM on June 23, 2014

But if you don’t mind I’m going to use your tag for real, because it’s gold.

ellemisha

Posted at 4:32 PM on June 23, 2014

I coulden’t agree with you more!

Fangirl

Posted at 3:43 PM on June 23, 2014

fanfics and fanarts any day! the show will end but the fandom will live longer than that! sterek forever! woohoo!

angie

Posted at 3:36 PM on June 23, 2014

Amazing article as always. Loved it! Please keep up with the sass during the season!

Macy

Posted at 3:31 PM on June 23, 2014

Yeah, I’m super stoked for all of this. I think this season could be the best yet. And I’m ALSO looking forward to your continued coverage! I’m ready to love Malia! Let’s do this!

Emma

Posted at 3:26 PM on June 23, 2014

Nothing was sexy about that scene. I’ll fight you.

kaede.75

Posted at 3:40 PM on June 23, 2014

Bless you.

ellemisha

Posted at 4:35 PM on June 23, 2014

exactly! I’m with you in the fight if you need a partner!

Anna

Posted at 3:21 PM on June 23, 2014

Pretty much a big no thank you and please quit your day job Teen Wolf writers & Jeff, so maybe we can have a good show once again.

betsy

Posted at 3:20 PM on June 23, 2014

I’m looking forward to season 4 a lot. And to your continuing coverage of it. :)