‘Teen Wolf’ Actress Shelley Hennig: Malia ‘Finds Her Mate’ In Stiles

Sat, June 21, 2014 11:52am EDT by 231 Comments 31,071 Article Views
Shelley Hennig Malia Tate
Courtesy of MTV

Sophia

Posted at 6:56 AM on June 23, 2014

I just feel so bad for Shelley. And I genuinely liked Malia in 3B, she was fierce. But this is just too much. Why can’t she have a proper storyline that is worth more than being someone’s mate? She should be focusing on being human again and finding out about her real father while cherishing her ACTUAL FATHER, but he is being written off the show? (Hello? Mr Tate may not be her blood father, but he raised her with love and thats what counts). Not this. Shelley doesn’t deserve to be put in a position like this because of Jeff’s ego trip ship and warped storylines. Fans will send her all the hate, and that’s just unfair.

Rachel

Posted at 6:52 PM on June 23, 2014

Sadly true, but as an experienced actress she should have had the sense to avoid this rubbish character and storyline like the plague! She sets herself up to be hated using terms like ‘mate’ and inflating the noble nature of coyotes. They do not mate for life, they chosse a new mate every one or two seasons , they encroach on towns and cities, they are a danger to livestock, domestic pets by predation and disease. They’re pests and vermin.

Ranulf

Posted at 12:26 AM on June 23, 2014

Remember when the Sterek fandom talked about mates and Jeff Davis said he doesn’t like the idea, it’s too Twilight for him? Yeah. I guess he changed his mind about that now that he has a hetero ship.

Fucking hypocrite.

easmart

Posted at 11:01 PM on June 22, 2014

the comments on this post make me question if any teen wolf viewers understand how television works??

Ranulf

Posted at 11:58 PM on June 22, 2014

Depends. Some showrunners hear their fans but dont bent over and take it from the ass. They respect them, respect and consider their input and views.

And there is Jeff, who uses his fandom for publicity and after that discards them. And baits them to not lose ratings while ralling the fandom against itself.

There is a difference between caring about ratings, and caring about rating while being an asshole about it.

Ranulf

Posted at 7:01 AM on June 23, 2014

Enrique the Intelligent

Posted at 10:01 PM on June 22, 2014

Does anyone else thing that Jeff Davis is tired of the show (fans) and ready to move on? How can someone invested in the franchise do something so against the majority of the fan base (see the above poll results above if you want to offer resistance) and repeatedly push the character as something we will love. Does anyone else think he’s trying to tank the show so that he can move on to another project?

Ranulf

Posted at 11:54 PM on June 22, 2014

Because he is angry and bitter. Because this isnt the times of Criminal Minds where fandoms weren’t vocal and constantly looking at details and wanting good writing. He doesnt like when people critize him for his inmature, lazy writing. He has proved he can do good episodes, but NOT good seasons or keep good inter-seasons continuity.

He is also bitter because one of the most popular things in fandom is Sterek, something that he didnt come up but ends overshadowing a lot of things he writes. Also because Sterek is this thing he used and tried to discart but Sterek doesnt go away whatever he tries.

Which is why he is making those decisions. He is trying to redefine Teen Wolf’s audience towards 14yrs old teenagers who wont notice bad writing an can swallow something like Echo House Stalia as ”romantic” and proyect on Shelley/Malia to hook-up with Stiles/Dylan. He is also scaring/disgusting away his old most loyals fans, Sterek and Stydia fans, since they ARE the people who say: ”Stop sidelining Scott” ”Please no more Derek torture” ”Single Lydia pls, no Plot device Lydia” ”Echo House was NOT romantic or well written” ”Baiting bi!Stiles was not cool or funny” ”Stop senseless romance” etc etc. And he doesnt like that.

He is petty and bitter to the point he scares away his actors and doesnt hear their inputs like Tyler said. He either wants to tank TW or scare his old fandom away, whichever happens first, and enjoy a show were the whole ”hateful, bitter VOCAL minority” some Jeff/Stalia cultists like to say is actually the truth, and not where 75% of his fandom hates what he writes.

Rachel

Posted at 6:56 PM on June 23, 2014

Excellent observations!!

shelley

Posted at 8:49 PM on June 22, 2014

Malia for the win, this show is getting awesome

Toal

Posted at 9:20 PM on June 22, 2014

…ly bad written, you mean.

I was looking to see how Malia developed, even willingly to give her a chance after the clusterfuck that was Echo House (such ROMANCE /sarcasm).

But now? This is just Malia being mutated into a Mary Sue of epic proportions. Whats next? ”Malia suddendly discovered she was actually a TRUE ALPHA COYOTE!!!1!”. There is so much the ”but its a fiction show” excuse can go. Jeff and Shelley more or less said: ”We lazed and we dont care, but we trust our audience is too stupid and blinded to see the problem with our writing or second guess it” in everyone’s face.

Its hard to defend Shelley when she says “I think it’s one of those TV things that you kind of don’t pay attention to. [Laughs]”.

Enrique the Intelligent

Posted at 10:04 PM on June 22, 2014

I respectfully disagree. I will, however, reserve final judgement until the end of the season. I’ll give TPTB a chance to use Shelley’s talent and see if she can build the character in spite of their disservice to the fandom. I’m glad you are excited. I wish I could be as well.

Brooke

Posted at 7:41 PM on June 22, 2014

I didn’t think I would say it (specially after season 3B, which was the best season of teen wolf so far) but I’m really not looking forward for season 4. All the good development they made looks like is going to be ignored. And I’m saying this because YES, I SHIP STYDIA but more than that I loved all characters. They all had such a great development and awesome chemistry with each other. They all made sense as supernatural beings and teenagers. Stiles’ panic attacks were so clever! But this Malia girl makes no sense. She was a coyote for 8/9 years, she was a child when that happened for god’s sake! She’s not supposed to be mentally well, it doesn’t make sense for her to be in high school (YES, JEFF DAVIS WE NOTICED SHE’S IN HIGH SCHOOL AND YES, WE DO WANT AN EXCEPTIONAL EXPLANATION FOR HOW SHE MANAGED TO GET THERE). Seriously, she’s not only supposed to be wild but her mind shouldn’t be ready to find a mate in a human teenage boy.

Genim

Posted at 8:18 PM on June 22, 2014

They wont give you explanation! They just think we should be stupid sheeps and only praise them and give them MOAR RATING and never second guess them or their lazy writing full of washed, romatized sub/non-con, internalized homophobia and machism.

Malia is just a Mary Sue representing Jeff’s ”MY SHOW, MINE MINE MINE” tantrum and his desire for a sheep audience.

Kael'Thas

Posted at 6:07 PM on June 22, 2014

Aparently, Jeff runned out of ideas and is copy-pasting ideas from Ao3 fanfics, and Sterek fanfics at that (because about the only fandom in TW that used the word ”mates” is Sterek).

I don’t even ship Sterek yet even I know that aparently they are the used-up condom of the show. Jeff used them and discarted them after gaining enough momentum.

Also, didn’t he say that he never, NEVER was going to write the whole mates thing? Wow Jeff, what’s next? Knotting?

”By the magic of my Mary Sue, plot-warping powers, I, Malia shall grant you Stiles, my eternal mate, a knot”.

After this I couldn’t be really surprised.

I didnt want to believe it, but apparently it is exactly like they posted on Tumblr.

”For Jeff, Sterek is fine as long as it’s heterosexual.

Katherine Pierce

Posted at 5:36 PM on June 22, 2014

Her answers expose a lot of the flaws with Teen Wolf’s writers in that they often have no idea what they are doing with the actual characters. They don’t know Derek’s real age, they don’t know how to explain how a girl who lived as a coyote is suddenly an educated high school level human in a romantic relationship when she should mentally be a feral child, they don’t know Stiles’ name.

They are completely out of touch with the fanbase and what is working in the show regards to relationships. Most fans want Stiles to be with Lydia or Derek. The general public would probably want to see Stiles with Lydia. Literally no one cares about Malia. We don’t know her. Yet she is supposed to be dating Stiles, in the pack, and all this stuff after two episodes? It’s ridiculous and it’s cheap writing.

I am not impressed with Malia and I do not look forward to her hogging the other characters’ screen time. The fact that we lost Isaac and Allison but this random girl is now a regular so soon will never not express Jeff Davis’s lack of insight into his audience.

A

Posted at 5:28 PM on June 22, 2014

Guess it’s okay to make a show about a 8 year old and a 17 year old on drugs/mind controlled by an evil spirit who have sex and a ***~~~romantic~~~***<333 relationship because
It
Is
A
TV
Show

K good to know

Hey at least it'll have humor and nice heartfelt moments, we might even forget the age difference (at least) how lovely, perfect, everything I ever wanted! ^ u ^

(That up there is an accurate description of what the fuck is on TW ATM. Fandom what even are u saying? Are we watching the same shit or what, what did u smoke last night, where can I get some cuz I'm gonna need it to get over this season. The only way I accept Malia is if every interview stops revolving around Stiles and starts being about the ladies. Give us girl power, you already killed a lot of them off. Malia is so far from an actual character that I am so hesitant to even recognize her as a main, but maybe the girls can help each other jfc. Stop telling us she's the new favorite, the new humor, the new best, cuz you're only making me dislike her more. Shelley deserves a better character. Look at that poll up there, go look. Writers write the show for themselves, huh? Nice, and who, might I ask, helped in getting the show popular? Not the fans who support it, nah, we're just here for the lovely absolutely-no-sense plot holes. We love it, yay, we don't think, we're just mindless, yay! New character, who are they, we don't care to know, they're pretty to look at AND they'll be kick ass, yay!)

So much no.

A

Posted at 5:32 PM on June 22, 2014

Just open your eyes and think for gods sake, that’s all I’m asking, I’ve been here since practically the beginning, I don’t want this to go downhill I’m so mad, TW you had so much potential, so much, why do you keep doing this?

Meg

Posted at 12:44 AM on June 23, 2014

Even then, the girl power was something the fandom created during season 2.
Where everyone compared Allison, Erica and Lydia to the PPG? And wanted them to be friends in the next season. But unfortunally Gage left. But people were ok with Cora and even Kira being friends with Allison and Lydia. Is interesting to see how much fandom material they are reciclyng as they’re own and trying to put Malia in place of old loved characters.

Unfortunally, she’ll never be Erica/Allison/Jackson/Boyd/Isaac/(Hell even)Cora. Because this is what I’m seeing. She’s being molded by charateristics/tropes that were heavely present in them . She’s being made to be the “badass were” that Erica was to the fandom, the “cute and funny with a dark side” that was Allison, the “Peter long lost child” that was Jackson, the one with “the need for a pack, family and friends” that was Boyd, the one “who needs guidance” that was Isaac and the “lost Hale” that was Cora.

All of those are things that the fandom thought about it and put out there. And you can be sure that Jeff knows this from the time when he was in a actual good place with the fandom, and actually interacted with them.

The fact is, there is nothing original about Malia. Be from something that the show already used, be from something that the fandom created. And aperently, we should be dumb enough to not notice this. The fact that there ARE people that don’t notice and choose to live in this denial bubble this really worrys me.

A

Posted at 9:54 AM on June 25, 2014

Holy shit, now that you point it out. You’re right. :/ Just when you think, fine lets give her a chance, you realise the chance was ruined long before haha. How sad.

The denial bubble is true. It’s like people are choosing to ignore everything.

Kellan

Posted at 12:41 PM on June 25, 2014

Wow, when to think about it you’re compeletely right. She’s like a hybrid of all the characters that had something characteristic that the audience loved. I’m done with the show either way, and looking by what a butcher it’s become I’m glad that I stopped watching after season 3, I simply don’t want to remember it worse than I already did, but again. Wow.

Wes

Posted at 1:57 PM on June 22, 2014

Lol are you serious. To say ignore the coyote transition into high school because that’s tv?? You think we’re that stupid? god what is happening to this show. I feel sorry for Stile’s character to be ruined by this mess of a plot device and fast cheap love interest.

Bacon

Posted at 1:46 PM on June 22, 2014

To be completely honest, i really dont like Malia. She has no character development what so ever. Im not excited for season 4 because it seems like stydia or sterek is not happening! Personally i think that Malia is the worst thing that ever happened to teen wolf. (Sorry if i offended anybody) but its true.

Ginebra

Posted at 6:11 PM on June 22, 2014

Dont be offended, as Malia/Stalia fans are prett much either Shelley fans that are biased to this shameful Mary Sue that poor Shelley is going to act as, or brainless, tasteless 14 yrs old teens sheeps that dont see any problem with this… Sterek/Stora mutation.

Riley

Posted at 1:27 PM on June 22, 2014

what? this is a joke right? if this happens and shes accepted into the pack and forgets everything we saw because “it’s a tv thing” her character is already ruined then. a plot device. i love how this is being forced on us it’s laughable.

S.

Posted at 1:07 PM on June 22, 2014

Ok this isn’t even about sterek or stydia or shipping in general anymore. It’s about butchering not only one, but two characters. How are they able to sweep so many things under a rug and hope no one would notice? There are so many things wrong, I don’t even know where to start. You want to introduce a new character to the show? Great, good for you. But to shove her down everyone’s throats and expect us to like her, not to mention putting her with a main character and a fan favorite without any proper legitimate interaction, is down right outrageous. A character is loved and cherished when there are reasons to do so. Why should I like her? She was an animal and now she’s human, oh the pity. Meanwhile Derek has 20 minutes per season. Like no. Fuck you too. I refuse to even consider liking her after all this. Shame on the writers for doing this and for ruining season 4 for so many people.

Rachel

Posted at 7:10 PM on June 23, 2014

Tyler Hoechlin must have felt like an extra in 3b. Davis must hate the character he’s just making him apper weak and pathetic.

trishaboylove

Posted at 12:21 PM on June 22, 2014

Honestly, I’m not sure who I want Stiles to be with. I ship Sterek, so I will always hope he gets with Derek in the end, but honestly? I don’t really see that happening, and I’m okay with that. But I don’t think Stiles and Malia or Stiles and Lydia would work either. *shrug*
I’m really excited for season 4, though. And Stiles is definitely my favorite character. :D

muffin

Posted at 11:43 AM on June 22, 2014

I’m so tired of this bullshit, bye bye teen wolf, i’ll be back when this is over, or when Malia finally dies, since Teen wolf is after the stydia ending

Sawyer

Posted at 1:19 PM on June 22, 2014

Oh Muffin, keep your muffin. If the only reason you are watching this amazing supernatural rollercoaster is for the ships than please go away. AND STAY AWAY. We don’t need fake fans like you. And Malia was only in 1 complete episode and you are already going in drama queen mode. You must be a teenage girl. No other reason to explain you being such a crybaby.

Izanagi

Posted at 6:21 PM on June 22, 2014

Aparently, not liking a horribly written Mary Sue/Scrappy Doo is being a crybaby… Also I actually laughed at calling Mufin a ”teenage girl” when most of this ”Malia fandom” thing are tasteless, 14yrs old teenage girls not better that sheeps being herded by Jeff and his warped concect of ”romance”. Unprotected Sex in a mental institution basement while possesed and doubly drugged, wow how romantic.

Jeff is just channeling all the essence of the typical teenage girl that is obsessed with pretty/young boys like Dylan into Malia/Stalia to gain an actual sheep-like fandom.

Its pathetic.

Rachel

Posted at 7:14 PM on June 23, 2014

You’ll worry when fans like Muffin desert this debacle in their thousands and the show is cancelled. Hell, no-one above the age of 12 watches this show for sensible plot lines with no holes, amazing continuity, consistantly good writing or well developed characters!

Bella

Posted at 9:56 AM on June 22, 2014

Nooo, I ship stydia all the way they were best friends first and closer before Malia came in. I may like stalia later in the season but right now I hate. Stydia will forever be my otp

Sawyer

Posted at 10:07 AM on June 22, 2014

Don’t worry. When Crystal Reed left Jeff Davis said that his vision for the end of Teen Wolf was Stydia as endgame. But Stiles and Lydia still need more development before that relationship can happen as equals. Stydia is the long year plan and Stalia is the now plan.

I can’t wait to see Malia. I think she’s gonne kick ass :)

Izanagi

Posted at 6:25 PM on June 22, 2014

I could worry because Jeff is constantly puking bullshit out of his mouth. He told Adelaide (Cora) that Cora was there to sex-up Stiles…. at the same time he told Daniel (Isaac) that Isaac was going to end up with Cora.

Also, the only thing that Malia is kicking ass of is that of character developement, actual plots and good writing’s.

Genim

Posted at 8:10 PM on June 22, 2014

Jeff told Adelaide (Cora) that she was going to end up with Stiles (and only that, no developement for Cora aside from that!) at the same time he told Daniel (Isaac) that Isaac was going to end up with Cora.

Now that I remember, he also said that Jackson and Lydia were ”True Love 4ever” and Sterica was endgame… Jeff NEVER had a ”endgame vision of Stydia since S1”. He just makes up thing as he goes along to bait fans into watching TW.

dietragedy

Posted at 9:49 AM on June 22, 2014

Whoops, I didn’t see this comment and I thought it didn’t appear.

dietragedy

Posted at 9:34 AM on June 22, 2014

@Sammy- It’s been said a lot of times that at first it was supposed to be Erica (Derek’s beta) who will hook up with Stiles, but Jeff said he noticed “chemistry” between her and Boyd, so they paired them up. Cora (Derek’s sister) was direct Erica replacement and was basically created as female Derek. Stiles in person points that similarities multiple times and she was therefore prepared to have a relationship with him after a few exchanges? Yeah, I don’t think so. Stiles’s primary romantic moment with Cora? Giving her mouth-to-mouth while she was dying and unconscious. And then we come to Malia (Derek’s cousin) who finally gets to be the love interest who has sex with Stiles after punching him in the face and barely talking to him. And what these three ladies have in common? They are sarcastic and bitchy. And which male character is just like that? *SPOILER ALERT* yes, you’re right. It’s Derek.
I am so fucking pissed off at the show at this point, and just….tired of it. Really exhausted by continuing to care about it and hoping that it can do better. WHY are they trying so desperatly to make Stiles the leading romantic role at this point, which doesn’t even make sense for his character?
And.. I’m sorry, but it physically pains me to say it. MATES? Don’t try and sell a desperate, cheap hook-up between two people who barely even knew who they were at the time, as romance. It’s not. It’s not romance.
And I’m fucking pissed off at Jeff Davis too. Even Tyler and Dylan said that they miss working together, because it was so much fun and Dylan was against whole sex scene with Malia, HE said it was inappropriate, that should mean somethin.
Well.. It doesn’t. So yeah. It’s time to say bye, too bad this show’s shitty at character development and likes to set up the canonical romances in the most problematic scenarios possible.

Danny

Posted at 1:22 PM on June 22, 2014

Character development have been epic: Have you not seen the journey of Stiles, Lydia, Derek, Scott and Allison. And many other characters. They all had so much development and this show rocks. You only focus on romance and that’s why shippers are the worst.

Leave our fanbase, we don’t want you.

dietragedy

Posted at 2:11 PM on June 22, 2014

You can take it for granted. And really? That’s your only argument? I’ve written an essay about my opinion and you only come up with “this show rocks”? And one more thing. You know why I only focus on romance? Because they’re pushing said not necessary romance down our throats. If someone thinks that flashing big fat banner which says that having unprotected sex in a state of mentally unstable is romantic and you agree with them it’s you, who have a problem, buddy, not me.
Unlike most of the viewers, some of them think more deeply about some things, not only “ooh, I ship them because they look so cute together and they’re teenagers, they need some closure.” I agree. They totally do. But not after 10 minute conversation, for fuck’s sake. IF Malia’s character was introduced in 3B and developed in season 4th without unnecessary sex thing, I’d be ok with that. Not overjoyed, but I’d tolerate that relationship. But when they do what they do and persuade me that I will love this character and things like that she spent 8 years in the woods eating raw rabbits and squirrels doesn’t matter and practically tell me that I’m too stupid to notice that.. not cool, man.
And it would be really nice if you’d notice that this season is supposed to be the most romantic one, they emphasize that in every interview. If romance is going to be like 50% of the plot if not more, it’s hard to focus on something else, don’t you think?

Katherine Pierce

Posted at 5:42 PM on June 22, 2014

Character development has been epic only if you are Stiles or Lydia. Scott/Derek/Allison have had no development since season 2. They are all the same characters, which is why Crystal left. She had nothing to do on the show once Allison was just the love interest.

Jeff has no attention span and keeps wasting time on new characters no one cares about instead of developing existing ones.

I’m not even going to start on how much second hand embarrassment you telling another fan to leave “our” fanbase gave me. Is this middle school, just stop.

Izanagi

Posted at 6:41 PM on June 22, 2014

I dont know what show are you watching, but Lydia’s developement was completly and absolutly negative. From a strong, intelligent, full of confidance woman to a screaming woman whose ”arcs” are just there to serve male characters and is constantly clingling at Stiles arm.

Jeff doesnt know how to write non-stereotype queer relation or non-machist hetero ones.

Malia’s introduction was forever ruined by Stalia and practically being introduced to sex-up Stiles. ALL the inteviews are ”Stalia this Stalia that”.

Also, Derek’s developement was both good and bad: Yeah, he cares less about power and accepted tha maybe he and power dont mix, but Jeff put him through such a ”humbling” (losing to everyone and being tortured) to make him look more and more as Scott’s inferior. Even his own mother was like ”lol bare your throat to Werewolf Jesus, son”.

Last thing, are you implying that TW is not composed of romance, deaths and bad action scenes?

Rachel

Posted at 7:20 PM on June 23, 2014

‘Even Tyler and Dylan said that they miss working together, because it was so much fun and Dylan was against whole sex scene with Malia, HE said it was inappropriate, that should mean somethin. Well.. It doesn’t.’

AND this is exacty why actors are leaving the show, because of Davis’s bull shit!

Dawn

Posted at 9:21 AM on June 22, 2014

I can’t wait to discover Malia. This interview was so exciting :)

Season 4 is gonne be EPIC.

Jordan

Posted at 9:05 AM on June 22, 2014

Shipping wars aside, this interview put the nail in the coffin for me. My favorite character is Derek but I’ll have to watch him at another time since dedicating Monday nights to this kind of writing? its just not gonna happen

Jared

Posted at 9:20 AM on June 22, 2014

Huh?! What kind of writing cause Teen Wolf is awesome?! I feel like people are reading a different interview than I am. What’s up with the all those troll haters?

Genim

Posted at 7:12 PM on June 22, 2014

Troll haters? Amazing writing?

What are smoking? Teen Wolf writing has been worse and worse since S3A to he point where the writers are plain out saying to you ”lol we think you are stupid enough to not question the whale-sized plotholes we dont care about, but please, love out Mary Sue! She is hooking up with Stiles!”. Just because a TV show is about supernatural being does it mean the writing can be sloopy, lazy and full of holes, and still be considered ”amazing” by those writers?

Most of the people that are being ”troll haters” like you put it are watching TW since S1 or S2. They are filled with despair and frustration at watching a show they loved, defended and respected go down the drain because the writers thing they cant do no wrong. Jeff specially like to think he can write anything and as long as is hetero ans cliche enough it will sell.

Why do you think actors leave so frecuently? Thats not normal for a show. Colton, Gage, Adelaide and now the Carver twins, Crystal and Daniel? They left for something. Something very wrong to be spooking their actors like this. Most likely the writers. Lucky they left before they could be asociated with the fucked-up state this show is in now.

Tell me, are you the kind of people that finds a dubious consent hook-up as romantic, where Stiles was drugged and possesed by a murderous spirit, while Malia, who should be, fiction or not, a wild child with no social developent and no sex knowledge at all, but the writers are saying you should be stupid and not think about such things. They are saying, stating you should NOT THINK and just let it pass. THEY ARE SAYING YOU ARE STUPID. They are INSULTING you intellect. That you are going to swallow whatever Mary Sue just because they are hooking her up with Stiles/Dylan.

Malia could have been so MUCH better, have an actual developent, but they decided the audience was stupid enough and thus decided to slap in a Mary Sue. Because that’s the truth, Malia was converted into a Mary Sue, into Jeff’s way to say ”This IS MY SHOW, you are here ONLY to give us ratings NOTHING MORE, YOU DONT HAVE RIGHTS TO CRITIC ME”.

Tell me, are you going to be a sheep, herded into ignorance and oblivion? Or are you going to form your own opinion? To tell them NO, MALIA was SUPPOSED to be BETTER, NOT THIS SCRAPPY DOO we are SUPPOSED to love, stop deciding for US?

Brooke

Posted at 7:53 PM on June 22, 2014

Yeah, I guess you read a different interview. Shipping aside, this season, from these interviews , looks like it’s going to suck.

Rachel

Posted at 7:21 PM on June 23, 2014

Tyler H is the only reason to watch!

Chris

Posted at 8:48 AM on June 22, 2014

wow i ship practically everyone and this is STILL OFFENSIVE. AS if the audience are idiots. When you see things like “it’s a TV thing” it’s insulting to everyone. All this is, is a lazy excuse to make a story work. I am so disappointed. Goodbye season 4 :(

Sarah

Posted at 9:19 AM on June 22, 2014

OMG, what are you ranting on about?! Please explain. I have no idea why you are being so dramatic over Malia?! And what is offensive?

And are you telling me you only watch Teen Wolf for who will hook up with Stiles?! In that case just GO AWAY you looney tune. This show has the best mytholgy, every arc is a rollercoaster of emotions, perfect balance between horror and comedy and the best kind of characters. If you can’t see that because you are blinded by … whatever this is … than please, stop watching.

Sam

Posted at 1:18 PM on June 22, 2014

They are, hence the goodbye season four. Sorry, but some people actually want a cohesive storyline that makes sense for a character. It’s offensive because the implication of “it’s a tv thing” is that the viewers are stupid sheep too moronic to understand. But we understand. The writers are too lazy to write a cohesive storyline that makes sense. But really, they count on viewers who don’t care and will lap up any crap they fling at them.

You think this show has the “best mythology”? The best characters? You really need to read more. Hell, even watch some better shows.

And, btw, you can be critical of content in a show and still like it overall (or like past seasons without wanting to watch the current. And you might try making your argument without resorting to name calling. It makes you look like a five-year-old child.

Are you going to tell everyone critical not to watch? Then you might end up with a canceled show. Just saying.

Lea

Posted at 8:25 AM on June 22, 2014

Ok, so apparently my first comment does not appear… Nevermind, I’ll write it all again. I wanted to say that I absolutely loved Shelley’s acting from the moment she appeared on Teen Wolf. Plus, I think that she does have a great chemistry with Dylan and well, overall I actually like her. But really, what we are told in this article is complete bullshit. It actually confirms what more and more people in the fandom start to think; that is to say that Jeff and/or the writers think that we will just accept whatever shitty idea they come up with and that no one will notice the numerous plot holes, the non-existent character background as well as the ever present lack of consistency. Indeed I completely disagree with Shelley when she says: “I think it’s one of those TV things that you kind of don’t pay attention to”. Well, maybe you don’t, but I do and lots of people do. And I never considered myself to be really demanding as a fan, or a person who analyzed things a lot, so I think the fact that someone like me notices those things tells a lot on the way the show is written. Also, if Jeff wanted us to like Malia and Stiles together, I would have handled their relationship completely differently. I mean, people don’t have to prefer slow builds -Scallison never did it for me by the way since it was really rushed, and let’s just say that I couldn’t care less about Dethan- but I don’t even know how to describe this relationship. Like, they talk 3 or 4 times, they have sex (no matter what Dylan said, Jeff really wanted them to sleep with each other) and now we learn that Stiles is Malia’s soulmate. It sounds like a joke. I mean, I do read fanfictions with soulmates and everything, but I mean, it is kind of weird. The writers are just downright lazy, I mean I can easily imagine what’s going to happen; Malia will have trouble behaving properly in society, she won’t know how to eat like a human or stuffs like that and we’ll be supposed to find it funny and endearing and it will probably be, but even a person with no imagination whatsoever like me could have come up with this. Of course, we will just have to forget the ridiculous scene in the basement, etc… And I mean, how can she even remember how to talk?? But anyway, the thing is that even if Malia’s character turns out to be well-written (we never know!!), I will like her obviously, but I think that they should focus on developing characters that have been on the show since the beginning, and answer questions that actually matter (to me anyway) instead of shoving pointless relationships down our throats (because from what we are told, Malia’s whole purpose will be to be Stiles’ love interest). Like, when will we know what really happened to the Hales? How could Cora survive without Derek knowing it? What really was the nature of Kate and Derek’s relationship? What happened to Derek and Laura after that? How did Stiles’ mother die? How did Stiles and the sheriff managed to cope? How was Peter before the fire? I mean they have so much storylines with an actual potential but no, they choose to ignore them, and like, they would have to think and try to be consistent and they seem to find it exhausting. And Danny? What is his point? I do like Danny, I love his (very rare) interactions with the others but at this point, his character is so under-developed (don’t know if the word exists) that I don’t think I would miss him if he happened to die. And this is such a shame that some fans end up thinking all those things about the show. I mean I absolutely loved the first two seasons, 3A was quite good as well (except for the relationship between Derek and Jennifer that did not make sense at all-I could write a book about this) but this is slowly becoming bad. So really, at this point, I keep watching for the actors (I love every single one of them) and for some characters such as Stiles and Derek (there are others), who are the most interesting to me (I also loved Allison but she died and I enjoyed Isaac but he’s gone) as well as for interactions between certain characters that I like.

(Sorry for the eventual grammar faults, English is not my native language)

Bella

Posted at 10:12 AM on June 22, 2014

I completely agree with you! They also build up relationships like Stiles and Lydia. They have been building it for 3 season and Jeff Davis knows how much the fans love Stydia (Stiles and Lydia’s ship name) yet the bring in another character to sleep with the Stiles and be with her. It’s as if there teasing us. Cora ‘a character was actually supposed to be with Stiles but she had to leave to be on a different show. But she may come back. So Jeff wanted anybody BUT Lydia to be with Stiles. Why build there relationship so much? Why give us that kiss in season 3A ? It is just confusing I feel as if they are making fun of us.

Genim

Posted at 7:28 PM on June 22, 2014

^this

COME ON. WHEN EVEN STEREK HAS MORE DEVELOPENT THAT STALIA, YOU KNOW THAT THIS ”MATES” THINGS IS PURE BULLSHIT (Stiles and Derek actually care about each other, they regret being such assholes to each other and have come great lenghts since S1 ”barely tolerated allies”).

Stydia is cool in its own way, but has this whole ”nice guy ™ must ALWAYS get the girl” machist cliche and the fact Lydia has gone backwards with character developement… from a intelligent, strong woman to a screaming damsel that clings to Stiles EVERY SCENE.

Malia is a living plot-hole, and the writers just go with it because they think their audience is stupid.

mina

Posted at 8:53 PM on June 23, 2014

I completely agree with @genim in regards to sterek and the “nice guy gets the girl”
it’s just so frustrating. i WANT to like this show. but the plot holes are getting fucking ridiculous. i know it’s nice to assume your whole fan base is 13 and a half and doesnt know anything about writing, but the reality is a lot of the fans arent 13. theyre older and smart enough to realize lazy writing when they see it. i cant tell if he’s trying to anger the fans so they stop watching and he’s off the hook, or if he’s just as emotionally constipated as 1/2 his characters are. it’s like he thinks he’s too cool for his 13 year old fans who can watch teen wolf because they’re now teenagers and it makes them feel mature.. i’m just sick of the writers not giving a shit about what the fans think.

serena

Posted at 6:43 AM on June 22, 2014

i feel so sorry for shelley , shes stuck playing such a poorly written character , created as a replacement for others , and designed to squash sterek .

Isa

Posted at 7:47 AM on June 22, 2014

Exactly! Poor girl but I already can’t stand Malia. Her whole storyline is just forced and poorly written. Knowing that she is the replacement for Cora who was supposed to be a love interest for Stiles, while Adelaide was a replacement for Erica who was supposed to be Stiles love interest before that…it’s just sad to see that Jeff Davis just desperately tries to create a female Derek.

Sammy

Posted at 7:52 AM on June 22, 2014

Oh, girl, stop making stuff up. Jeff Davis wrote a love story for Erica and Boyd, but with Gage leaving that couldn’t happen. Not for Stiles. And where did you read about Stiles and Cora, that was never said in any interview so again, you make stuff up. And even if that was true, it’s not Jeff his fault that Adelaide left to go play in a CW show.

Malia is nothing like Derek. You are just using this as an excuse to hate on her character. Malia is very primal because of her backstory – not because she is a female version of Derek. I really don’t see how you can judgje a character who we didn’t even see much about.

This is the season where we will discover Malia. This hate parade based on nothing or just stuff you make up in your head is insane.

Bellaaa

Posted at 12:12 PM on June 22, 2014

@Sammy first of f @isa is right. Adelaide confirmed at the eye con 2014 that her character Cora was supposed to be Stile’s love interest but had to leave for her own show. How dare you accuse her for making stuff up when @isa is right you can’t just face that facts. So please @ Sammy, if you no nothing at all don’t speak.

serena

Posted at 10:50 PM on June 22, 2014

amen !

Liam

Posted at 7:47 AM on June 22, 2014

Poorly written? Are you kidding me?! We only got Shelly in 1 complete episode, beside that it was just a short introduction at the end of ep2 and her at the end of the season.

This season is gonne show us more about Malia, already hating on her character are saying it’s a bad written one is just ignorant and honestly, stupid. And don’t make Stalia about Sterek or her replacing others. Malia is her own character who already has an interesting connection to the other characters, especially Peter. She is her own person and I can’t wait to find out more about her.

Bella

Posted at 12:15 PM on June 22, 2014

It was confirmed in a an interview that Malia is replacement for Stiles’s previous love interest which was Cora.

LOL

Posted at 12:59 PM on June 22, 2014

@bella NO IT WASN”T. Sterek shippers claimed that after Adelade said Stora would’ve happened the writers at bitecon said Malia was not a replacement for anyone. The only replacement was Cora for Erica and thats because Gage left before they could figure out another storyline to do in her place.

serena

Posted at 10:46 PM on June 22, 2014

poorly written ? malia lived as a kyotee , punched stiles in the face , and then proceeded to have unprotected sex with him in a basement of a mental hospital . ahaha sounds poorly written to me .

LOL

Posted at 1:18 PM on June 22, 2014

They don’t need to add Shelley on the show to squash Sterek. Canon and the fact that a romantic relationship doesn’t exist between them already does that just fine.

Shelley’s fine, she doesn’t need your faux concern because at the end of the day all this hatred being thrown onto her and her character is only causing more and more people who didn’t even care about her, to write long rants in her defence. And once the season starts, I guarantee the only people still complaining about Malia will be the same close minded childish shippers who can’t seem to focus on anything other than whether their ship will be canon or not.

Genim

Posted at 8:02 PM on June 22, 2014

Right, like Sterek is squished after 2 seasons of the writters being intentionally not giving Sterek (romatic OR platonic) interactions. The fandom is still as strong as ever, and Jeff knows that. They adore Dylan and Hoechlin, and they adore Sterek back.

Can we talk about how Dylan didn’t want Stalia, not now or never? How he was OPPOSED at it from the beginning, until Jeff had to remind him he is in a contract to work for him? That he and Hoechlin LOVE to create headcanons and Sterek (platonic) scenes, and are completly fine with non-platonic Sterek?

The only thing Jeff is doing is ralling every 14yrs old tween with proyection issues into liking Stalia because ”hooked with Stiles/Dylan” and have a sheep audience tha doesnt second guess his inmature, lazy writing.

Syn

Posted at 12:41 AM on June 22, 2014

I am confused, so now stiles and malia are mates???And she says coyotes mate for life so she is basically saying that the stalia ship is end-game. That is really disappointing to read. I am not excited for her character in the next season!!!!!

rebeca

Posted at 1:23 AM on June 22, 2014

totally agree!

Sawyer

Posted at 2:24 AM on June 22, 2014

Yes, Stiles and Malia are friends. You do know there is a bit of a time jump between 3B and season 4 right? So they bounded. And NO, this doesn’t mean that Stalia is endgame. (I really hate shippers to be honest, you people are such obsessive freaks.) Shelly just said that Malia never experienced human emotions, and she is gonne have to deal with that. Is she a coyote now? Nope! She is human and do they mate for life? No.

So again NO: this does not mean they are endgame.

Jeff Davis basically confirmed Stiles and Lydia to be endgame when he talked about his vision of the ending of Teen Wolf when Crystal Reed left. So that will happen, but it’s a long road and both Stiles and Malia bonded because of what happened in the mental institution. They needed a human connection in this dark place and they found each other. That was beautiful.

Now stop being a party pooper. Malia seems to be a great addition to the pack and I can’t wait to discover her character.

Lee

Posted at 4:00 AM on June 22, 2014

Wow. Your response contradicts Shelly’s responses to the questions. Coyote form or human form, Malia is a were -coyote. Not just human. And she said Malia found her mate- mate for life. So is Shelley just unclear of her role? Or did you just misrepresent her words? Personally, I don’t care which ship is canon, but you twisted the entire interview in order to insult people. Ah, first you insulted Jeff Davis, quite smoothly and subtly. Then you insulted shippers, quite rudely and obviously. Apparently this article is not written clear enough if you have to explain it and the explanations make it even more unclear.

disgusting

Posted at 11:28 PM on June 21, 2014

MATES FOR LIFE NAAAAH SON THIS IS SOME STRAIGHT UP BULLSHIT DON’T YOU FUCKING TAKE THAT TROPE AND USE IT FOR THIS IDIOTIC JOKE OF A THING YOU CALL A SHIP

Jensen

Posted at 10:08 AM on June 22, 2014

Oh please, don’t focus on that part. Stydia is endgame, Jeff confirmed this a while back. And don’t use caps it makes you seem like a ranting idiot. You’re welcome.

Katherine Pierce

Posted at 5:45 PM on June 22, 2014

Do not ever trust anything Jeff Davis “confirms” the man can’t remember what he had for breakfast yesterday let alone what he said to suck up to fans.