Zendaya Will Star As Aaliyah In New Lifetime Biopic

Mon, June 16, 2014 11:37pm EDT by 19 Comments
Zendaya Aaliyah Movie Role
Getty

From the Disney Channel to a major Lifetime original movie! Actress and singer Zendaya will play R&B artist Aaliyah in an upcoming TV movie about the late singer’s life, according to a new report.

Zendaya Coleman, 17, is about to take on a very important role. The Lifetime channel is reportedly making a TV biopic about R&B singer Aaliyah, and they have snagged the former Dancing With The Stars contestant to star in the flick about Aaliyah’s extraordinary life. Read on to learn all of the details about this upcoming movie!

Zendaya: Playing Late Singer Aaliyah In Upcoming Lifetime Original Movie

The upcoming Lifetime channel movie is tentatively titled Aaliyah: Princess of R&B, our sister site Variety reports. The original movie will be based on the bestselling book Aaliyah: More Than A Woman by Christopher Farley, Time magazine’s former music editor. Not only will Zendaya star in the film, but she will also record four songs of Aaliyah’s, the report details.

Zendaya Excited To Honor Aaliyah, But Will The Family Let Her?

We can’t wait to see the former Shake it Up actress play Aaliyah onscreen. We personally think that Zendaya is a perfect fit for this role and we’re beyond excited to see how theTV  movie depicts Aaliyah’s amazing and all-too-short life.

Aaliyah tragically passed away 13 years ago on August 25, 2001, in a plane crash in the Bahamas. She was only 22 years old when she died.

Zendaya Performs ‘Replay’ At Radio Disney Music Awards

Just like Aaliyah, Zendaya is also an actress AND a singer. The sassy star performed her song “Replay” at the Radio Disney Music Awards — and totally nailed her performance! Watch Z rock the stage right here. The song became a hit on the Billboard Top 100 chart. At only 17 years old, Zendaya is so talented!

Do YOU think Zendaya is a good fit to play Aaliyah in this Lifetime original movie, HollywoodLifers? Let us know who you think would be perfect in the role in the comments below!

– Megan Ross

More Zendaya News:

1. Zendaya’s Statement Necklace: Get It Here For $30
  2. Zendaya’s Bold Red Lips: Get Her Look For Prom
  3. Zendaya’s Frizz-Free Hair & Glowing Makeup At Millions Of Milkshakes

Directors

Posted at 4:50 AM on September 2, 2014

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s
posts daily along with a cup of coffee.

Sarriya

Posted at 6:51 PM on August 18, 2014

Zendaya looks nothing like my cousin Aaliyah and I
Really think that they should pick someone else like
Keisha chante should play in the role sorry Zendaya I love u but I really do think that Keisha chante should do the role but R.I.P Aaliyah my cousin I love
You:)

Princess

Posted at 7:29 PM on June 27, 2014

,first of all Zendaya is black, and perfect for the role. She is very pretty and has the same frame as aaliyah. And not to mention aaliyah started at the age of 14 and died at 22 so y would u guys suggest someone in their mid 20’S or close to 30 play her? And seveyn streeter? Really? Tell me where they are similar? Is she an actress? She is no where near pretty enough.. zendaya is perfect for this role. Some folks are just natural born haters and will find anything to complain about..smh

Ashton

Posted at 1:58 PM on June 22, 2014

Now this is ridiculous first thing I’ve been waiting for such a amazing project to come about but I agree the family this girl deserves her story to be on the big silver screen and as far as who they picked for the choice you guys can’t be serious for heavens sakes she’s not even black the only thing they have in common is they’re both skinny there is a Aaliyah look alike who acts go find her and let zendaya finish high school

anime figures

Posted at 10:15 AM on June 22, 2014

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and
found that it is truly informative. I’m going to watch out for
brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future.

Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

aj

Posted at 7:05 PM on June 20, 2014

i personally think Zendaya would be good for this role because she is a gifted,young woman who looks up to Aaliyah and would make a comback for her. Looks do not matter to me because this is not an Aaliyah look alike contest.

DanniGee

Posted at 2:54 AM on June 18, 2014

Ya noooooo she looks absolutely nothing like Aaliyah for real at all it’ll confuse people more than anything when it comes to biopics they needa cast someone who has similar features or identical because it’ll seem like we’re actually watching Aaliyah and zendaya is definitely not a good fit..

riri

Posted at 2:03 PM on June 17, 2014

actually years ago the current host of b.e.t.’s 106 and park, keyshia, was supposed to play the role. I love zendaya but not for this role.

Michelle

Posted at 11:08 AM on June 17, 2014

She’s a cutie and all but if you aren’t looking at Keke Palmer for the role or even a fresh face unknown then there is no point. Aliyah is a very special subject and to do her story and life justice folks need to get it right. Just like the TLC biopic which Lifetime did very well in casting.

irtvinrocxbxcb

Posted at 10:58 AM on June 17, 2014

Unbelievable…… My friend Lucy has just married to a handsome black man.
They met through ~~ ♥M i x e d L u v. Ćom ♥~~Here is the best, largest and most successful Interracial online dating site for black and white singles share your life and love with friends online. it is a nice dạting service for Interracial singles to find their romantic soul mate.. You can meet (lawyers,busy professionals, CEO,benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….). If you are single ,have a try. nnnnnnnnnxcbxcb

Tiera

Posted at 10:39 AM on June 17, 2014

I highly disagree! I do not think that she should play her.

Brittney

Posted at 10:04 AM on June 17, 2014

I don’t think they should make the movie until Aaliyah’s mom and brother says so. Its highly disrespectful of her uncle to do this. And fans already started a petition on stopping the movie.

ShazzItUp

Posted at 10:00 AM on June 17, 2014

She’ll do good but I think Sevyn Streeter would have done it

Shaunice

Posted at 9:36 AM on June 17, 2014

Honestly no. Ciara maybe but zendaya not at all

Brooklyn

Posted at 7:28 AM on June 17, 2014

I really like Zendaya, but I think her voice doesn’t fit in Aaliyah’s.

Tiera

Posted at 10:39 AM on June 17, 2014

I agree

coupon for bed bath and beyond

Posted at 5:45 AM on June 17, 2014

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my web site so i came
to return the desire?.I am trying to find things
to enhance my web site!I guess its good enough to use a few of your concepts!!

web-dork seo: dorks guide for buiness

Posted at 2:56 AM on June 17, 2014

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter
stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness
over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same
nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

Losione

Posted at 2:08 AM on June 17, 2014

**************************************************************
my neighbor’s ex-wife makes $88 /hour on the laptop . She has been out of work for 8 months but last month her income was $14278 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read Full Article

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, B­­­­­­A­­­­­­y­­­9­­­5.C­­­O­­­M­­­