Maria Sharapova: Tennis Pro Wins French Open

Sat, June 7, 2014 1:24pm EDT by 10 Comments
Maria Sharapova Wins French Open
Getty

Tennis star Maria Sharapova won her second French Open title on June 7! Congrats to Maria!

Maria Sharapova just secured another French Open title. The tennis star took the top prize in her third-straight French Open final. She battled against Russia’s Simona Halep, but emerged a champion.

Maria Sharapova Wins French Open

The 27-year-old Russian player can add another French Open title to her resume! The 6’2″ tennis extraordinaire became the champion of the French Open on June 7, after a three-set match. She swung against Simona Halep and came away with a win.

This French Open win makes this her fifth Grand Championship overall and it was the first three-set women’s final at the Open since 2001.

“I can’t believe it,” she said after the win, according to USA Today. “I never thought 7-8 years ago that I would win more Roland Garroses when I was 27 than any other Grand Slam ….To think that I won it two times – I’m so emotional I can’t even talk.”

Maria also revealed that this was one tough competition. “This is the toughest Grand Slam final I’ve ever played,” Maria said after the win. “All respect to Simona. I thought she played an unbelievable match today.”

We’re so happy for Maria! We can’t wait to see what she brings to the court for Wimbledon!

HollywoodLifers, how do you feel about Maria’s French Open win? Who were you rooting for? Let us know!

– Avery Thompson

More Sports News:

1. Serena Williams Upset By Sloane Stephens, 19, At Australian Open
  2. Venus Williams Quits U.S. Open After Serious Illness Diagnosis!
  3. Serena Williams Wins Wimbledon For A Fifth Time

Larisa

Posted at 10:05 AM on June 9, 2014

Simona is from Romania!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexa

Posted at 3:00 PM on June 8, 2014

Simona Halep is from Romania! Get yourself very informed and then write. At least correct that mistake.

Adina

Posted at 9:36 AM on June 8, 2014

Simona is from Romania!!!

jamiensigmund (@jamiensigmund)

Posted at 6:42 PM on June 7, 2014

Start making cash right now… Get more time with your family by doing jobs that only require for you to have a computer and an internet access and you can have that at your home. Start bringing up to $8012 a mo­­­­­­­­­­­nth. I’ve started this job and I’ve never been happier and now I am sharing it with you, so you can try it too. You can check it out here…
W­­­­­W­­­­W­­­­.­W­­­­­­­­­­­­­O­­­­­­­­ℛ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­K­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­T­­­­­­­­­­I­­­­­­­N­­­­­.C­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­O­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­M­­­­

Cris

Posted at 4:32 PM on June 7, 2014

Simona Halep is roumanian and not russian…..and is a big difference!!!!!!!!!a very Big one

lauragrand

Posted at 3:30 PM on June 7, 2014

SIMONA HALEP IS ROMANIAN IDIOTS ❗️❗️

Андрей Миньков (@AndreyMinkov)

Posted at 3:13 PM on June 7, 2014

Very congrats!!!

QUEEN BEE

Posted at 2:25 PM on June 7, 2014

Simona Halep is Romanjan! Get your facts right!

Adriana

Posted at 1:32 PM on June 7, 2014

I’m from Roumania And i’m so Proud of Simona! She’s only 23 years old … #RoumanianGalRunDaWorld

paula