Girl, 6, Loses Jaw & Tongue After Being Mauled By 2 Pit Bulls

Fri, June 6, 2014 4:49pm EST by 45 Comments

A little girl is in a medically induced coma after being brutally attacked by two unsupervised pit bulls. According to reports, one of the dogs ripped off part of the girls jaw during the unprovoked attack. So sad.

The mother of Zainabou Drame, 6, desperately tried to save her little girl from two vicious pit bulls by using a baseball bat. The dogs, reportedly belonging to the girl’s neighbor, were so out of control they would not stop attacking the little girl until the police were forced to shoot them dead.

Little Girl, 6, In A Coma After Vicious Pit Bull Attack

This is just awful.

A little girl was innocently playing outside of her home with her older brother, Moustapha, 9, when two of the neighbor’s dogs attacked her. The dog’s reportedly attacked her shorts and legs until she fell down, which is when they started biting her face. At one point, the dogs grabbed her by her jaw and dragged her body along the sidewalk, reports the Daily Mail.

Horrified, Zainabou’s mother, Tanina, desperately tried to stop the dogs by beating them with a baseball bat, but it was useless. The dogs would not stop viciously ripping at the girl’s face until police arrived and were forced to shoot both of the dogs dead.

Zainabou was rushed to the hospital where she is in serious but stable condition. The little girl reportedly lost part of her jaw and tongue during the attack. Doctors put her into a medically induced coma, and authorities are “cautiously optimistic” that she will recover.

The attacked happened on Wednesday night, June 4, right outside of the Drame’s family home in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Both pit bulls belonged to Zainabou’s neighor, Zontae Irby. He also had a third pit bull which was not involved in the brutal mauling. The third dog is alive and currently in the custody of SPCA of Cincinnati.

Police revealed to WCPO that they were able to distract the dogs before shooting them.

“It’s really indescribable and something no person should ever have to see and something we’ll never forget,” Cincinnati Police Officer Kyle Strunk explained.

“I saw the brown dog, which was the bigger of the two dogs and he had the girl’s head in his mouth. He was slinging it around, thrashing his head back and forth with her in his mouth.”

Truly disturbing to hear.

Our thoughts go out to little Zainabou and her family at this time.

– Lauren Cox

More Related News:

1. Slender Man Creator Speaks Out After Stabbing: ‘I Am Deeply Saddened’
  2. Little Girl, 7, Fighting For Her Life After Brutal Butcher Knife Attack
  3. Toddler, 4, Drowns During Pool Party While Guests Sing ‘Happy Birthday’

Mimi

Posted at 2:55 PM on June 10, 2014

I think they should put that 6 year old gril down! Becouse she too badly bitten any way. If you think I don’t care your wrong. She’s going too suffer. And another thing I will not let her play in the front yard how stupit is that woman in the first place.

Carly Peitel

Posted at 8:25 AM on June 10, 2014

Tammylynne75 is right, as all my pit bulls are ANGELS, too!

Cathy

Posted at 4:24 PM on June 7, 2014

I dont care what anybody says pit bulls should be outlawed. They are the worst breed to own.

Heather Corbin

Posted at 10:18 PM on June 7, 2014

in the news it said that the owner of the pit bulls was a drug/gun dealer and used the dogs to protect his drugs and weapons. The guy doesn’t deserve a dog…period. Especially, a strong dog. I thought they were a bad breed too until I had and have one now. They are good as long as you don’t raise them to be vicious. Ive had mine for 12 years and never once had an issue with him. I have to get on my cats because they terrorize him verses the other way around. Most of the pitbull attacks when I looked for information on the owner I noticed that most of the owners were either felons, drug/weapon dealers, robbers and rapists as well as dog fighters. A dog is made bad by the owner. People who want to own pitbulls or any large breed of dog should go through similar checks as they would to own a gun and only be allowed to own a chihuahua (and thats even pushing it). Banning or outlawing a certain breed will do nothing because the people that are using these dogs will just move onto the next large/strong breed of dog to train to fight, such as a German shepherd, Rottweiler, or Doberman and then people will want to start banning them years down the road.

Tammylynn75

Posted at 10:43 PM on June 7, 2014

Well said. I’ve had 12 pits over many years and they were all Angels. And if pits are so evil, why did my 11 year old neighbor almost get killed by 2 black labs? They are supposed to be good dogs for kids. My pits enjoyed playing with children.

Nikita Domino

Posted at 10:35 AM on June 7, 2014

this is why i dont like dogs or any canine… if i want a pet, fish would suffice. This is sad and just heart breaking..

KK

Posted at 3:11 PM on June 8, 2014

Thank goodness someone said it. I can’t abide dogs, either. Unfortunately, people everywhere drag them out into public areas and I’m forced into close proximity with the filthy things. If I say anything, I’m the bad guy!!!

charmas

Posted at 3:13 PM on June 8, 2014

All dogs aren’t filthy. My dog is cleaner than most people.

Nathaniel

Posted at 8:40 PM on July 8, 2014

If neither of you have ever had your heart touched by a dog then I genuinely feel sorry for you. Dogs are the most loving creatures on the face of the earth and, just like humans, you cannot judge the entire race based on the actions of the few. For every violent pit bull there are 10000 loving ones that get no media coverage because they don’t do anything wrong. You are so utterly ignorant to the love of dogs, it’s just sad.

Adele Donahue

Posted at 12:14 PM on August 14, 2014

haha so true. though I have a dog I have to deal with issues I never have to deal with when it comes to my pleasant cats.

charmas

Posted at 10:44 PM on June 6, 2014

At this point it, the breed of the dogs doesn’t matter. What matters is the wellbeing of a little innocent 6 year old baby girl. All of our love and prayers should be with this angel and her family. That’s what the priority is.

Bill

Posted at 5:23 PM on June 7, 2014

The breed matters. And please don’t parrot to us the pro-pit bull talking points — we’ve heard them too many times.

charmas

Posted at 5:28 PM on June 7, 2014

If you would’ve taken the time to read all of my comments, you would’ve seen that I didn’t say that. Get your facts in order before you slam me for something I didn’t say.

charmas

Posted at 5:29 PM on June 7, 2014

I’m NOT pro pitbull

Shelldog2014

Posted at 10:32 AM on June 8, 2014

You are absolutely correct! It is the breed. These dogs were bred for this, its in their DNA…Doesn’t matter how it is raised, there is a chance for it to act out. They were bred to be protective and anyone other than its owner is at risk. They are very territorial animals. Can’t remember the last time a group of golden retrievers attack and mauled a child or anyone for that matter. Yes all dogs can bite, but all dogs do not continue to maul. These dogs, once they bite or attack will not stop until their prey is dead. Most other dogs won’t do this. There is a HUGE difference between a dog biting someone and continuing to attack until death!! I have had and been around pits and they were very sweet, but as smart dog owner, unfortunately this breed calls for the owner to have insurance in most cases, as well as never letting your guard down. The fact is that most of this breeds owners use them for fighting, guard dogs or just show how tough they are, that is why we read so many of these stories!!!!

Lynn

Posted at 10:35 PM on June 6, 2014

You know what none of this would be so in the news if it was another breed of dog. It is wwrong to say the entire breed is mentally ill md people who own them have something wrong with them. Attacks like this with other dogs happen all the time but because this involved two pits it is national news and people are going crazy.I love my pit the neighbors love him their kids love him he has never acted out he has never snapped at anyone,Yes there are pits out there that have done horrible things but you can’t condem an entire breed. That is like saying all humans are crazy killers because some in society are.

Mary Ann Redfern

Posted at 2:29 PM on June 7, 2014

How do you explain Beau Rutledge or Daxton Borchardt or Darla Napora?

Bill

Posted at 5:27 PM on June 7, 2014

Actually, attacks like this don’t happen all the time. Yes, other dogs occasionally bit. But they bite and then that’s it. Pitbulls don’t let go, they shake the person, they rip the skin off, they rip off chunks of flesh. They usually have to be shot with a gun to get them off the person. Other breeds aren’t like this.

If you look up the federal government’s statistics on fatalities by dog, pitbulls are at 66. The stats that are published are between the 1970s and the 1990s. The next closes dog is the rotweiler, with something like 33. Then german shepards have about 15. Then the other typical breeds that people own, like lab or golden retriever, aren’t even listed.

So it’s not that the entire breed is bad, because not all pitbulls do this. BUT, the problem is that you can’t predict which dogs will turn. Which is why it’s really a horrible, stupid idea to have them around little children like this.

And please no longer parrot the talking points that pitbull lovers use verbatim. It’s gotten very old.

lb

Posted at 9:39 PM on June 6, 2014

@charmas I disagree. That breed does all of sudden goes crazy because there is something seriously wrong with them, Read other articles where children have been in their home sitting and watching television when out of no where they are attacked and mauled to death. The parents say the dog has never shown any aggression and have been around the child since it was a puppy. I seen countless stories like this and I hope they start charging the parents since no one seems to want to protect the children.

Bill

Posted at 5:57 PM on June 7, 2014

You are absolutely correct. I personally know of some horrific pitbull cases. I know of a little girl who lost her ear to a family pitbull when she was 4; she now has a plastic ear. I know of another family that got their pitbull as a little puppy, just when their son was 6 months old. When the kid was about 10 or 12 the pitbull, who had grown up together with this boy, attacked the boy. Fortunately, the father owned a gun and was able to shoot the dog to death with injury only to the kid’s arm. I know of another woman who is permanently in a wheel chair because a neighbor’s pitbull, which was on a leash, broke away from the owner and attacked her. It mangled her loser leg and foot. And, finally, and most grotesquely, I know of a guy whose pitbull KILLED his own mother. She was in her 70s. It was so horrific that he had to dispose of the carpet and sofas because there was so much blood and flesh in them.

Other breeds occasionally bite, sure. But these dogs are problems, and any reasonable and semi-intelligent person knows this.

lb

Posted at 7:42 PM on June 6, 2014

As long as you have delusional idiots that counter (every time a pit-bull attacks) with ” its the people not the dog”, we will continue to see these stories. Human life has slipped behind the value of a stupid dog! they might as well stop reporting these sad stories because nobody really gives a damn until it happens to them! As you can see the people that defend the dog with excuses never say anything in empathy for the victim because they are too busy with their fanatical quest to defend this mentally- ill breed of dog! It doesn’t matter who owns them, they really should be banned and the owners need therapy because there is something wrong with a society of people that can see a child killed, mauled, dismembered and be so desensitized and silent to human life but so ready to defend a vicious dog!

Mrs. wright

Posted at 7:24 PM on June 6, 2014

Poor baby. How scary for all involved. Any dog, especially large dogs should never be loose and unattended!!! I think pit bulls are more likely to attack because some of their owners intentionally raise them to do just that. I am glad those dogs were killed and can not harm anyone else, now the authorities need to turn their focus onto the owner of the dogs. This child should be paid (a huge sum) restitution for her horrific injuries, and the emotional scars she will have to carry with her for the rest of her life! I hope her and her family can recover from this terrible incident.

lb

Posted at 7:39 PM on June 6, 2014

Finally someone with sympathy for the child and not defending those vicious animals. That poor child suffer horrific injuries that only pit bulls can inflict.

Brenda Grant

Posted at 1:17 PM on June 8, 2014

“I think pit bulls are more likely to attack because some of their owners intentionally raise them to do just that”…the majority of pit bull attacks are by ones raised as family pets, and the majority of the victims are owners family and guests.

lb

Posted at 6:51 PM on June 6, 2014

Those dogs should be banned! Animals capable of that much damage should not be around children and it’s complete BS saying it’s the owners!

Tammy

Posted at 7:24 PM on June 6, 2014

I don’t know everyone’s experience with pit bulls but mine is nothing but wonderful experiences my pits have been angels the most wonderful dogs I’ve eve had in my whole life. Any dog if you treat them bad or teach them to be bad they will be bad.

lb

Posted at 7:35 PM on June 6, 2014

There are tons of stories were those dogs have attacked children and been around kids since puppies. Also, raised in loving homes. The point is would you really want something capable of doing that around your children. It’s like raising a lion and expecting it to not attack.

Mary Ann Redfern

Posted at 2:32 PM on June 7, 2014

Darla Napora? Beau Rutledge? Daxton Borchardt? Those are just a few victims of family pit bull terriers with every advantage a dog should or could have. There are many, many more. How do you explain it?

charmas

Posted at 7:28 PM on June 6, 2014

Those dogs were unsupervised. The owners are responsible for the actions of those dogs. It is the owner’s fault!

lb

Posted at 7:37 PM on June 6, 2014

Even if the owners were sitting right there it wouldn’t have helped that poor little girl so try again. There are multiple stories of the “family” pit attacking children and biting the parents when they try to intervene.

charmas

Posted at 7:44 PM on June 6, 2014

What do you mean by try again? It is the owner’s fault that little girl was mauled. The owner left those dogs unattended. The owner should have made sure the Pitts were secured and he didn’t.

lb

Posted at 8:15 PM on June 6, 2014

@charmas Plenty of dogs get loose and don’t attack and maul children. My next door neighbors dogs get loose all the time and they have never attacked me nor the neighborhood children. So again it’s the breed.

charmas

Posted at 8:25 PM on June 6, 2014

I’ve never said it not because they are pitbulls. I’m totally against that breed of dog. All I was trying to say is wtf is wrong with the owner. These dogs didn’t just all of a sudden go crazy. That owner had to have seen the signs that the dogs were violent. With that being said, why weren’t they secured? I feel so bad for what that baby girl has suffered through and what she will have to go through every day for the rest of her life. My heart goes out to her and her family.

lb

Posted at 9:49 PM on June 6, 2014

Nata

Posted at 10:16 PM on June 6, 2014

You hear about pit bull attacks all the time because they re owned by mostly thugs who don’t train them to be to be god but train them to be awful. I have 2 pitbulls that are trained and he sweetest dogs you’ll ever meet, but a few years ago my husband was bit on the ankle badly by a yorkie so stop blaming the breed.

dunjav2013

Posted at 6:00 PM on June 6, 2014

Reblogged this on dunjav.

jackie jacks

Posted at 5:54 PM on June 6, 2014

Hey Lauren it’s not the breed it’s the owners! Why do you only print bad press when it’s about pit bulls, as we know there are other breeds that attack……….

Kaitlyn

Posted at 5:44 PM on June 6, 2014

Just saying the problem wasn’t the pit bulls, it was the owner not training or caring for them. My heart goes out to the little girl and her family

jackie jacks

Posted at 5:51 PM on June 6, 2014

I Agree!

J

Posted at 5:33 PM on June 6, 2014

The owners are the problem not the breed. Punish the owners not the dog!

Kaitlyn

Posted at 5:44 PM on June 6, 2014

Agreed!

Tammy

Posted at 5:32 PM on June 6, 2014

I’ve owned 12 pitbulls and none of them were ever mean like that. Some people shouldn’t own pits. My prayers are with that poor little girl. And I hope the owner gets what he deserves!

DEANNA

Posted at 5:29 PM on June 6, 2014

my heart goes out to this girl and I pray the best for her and their family, she did not deserve this I pray I pray I pray for her god bless

DD

Posted at 5:02 PM on June 6, 2014

Drugs and probably dog fighting.

lisa

Posted at 9:15 AM on June 7, 2014

That’s what I mean. They shoot them with steroids. You see what it does to humans. They snap. Every time a puppy is born, it has roids in it. The breed needs to be banned. PERIOD!