Justin Bieber Apologizes For N-Word Video: ‘I Learned From My Mistakes’

Mon, June 2, 2014 7:34am EDT by 33 Comments

After a shocking video of a 15-year-old Justin telling racist jokes and saying the N-word leaked on June 1, the singer didn’t wait long to own up to his huge mistake. In a long, emotional letter posted to Twitter, Justin apologized for his younger self and explained that he hadn’t grown up yet when the video was recorded. Read his full apology below!

In the midst of what is possibly his most damaging controversy yet, Justin Bieber didn’t waste any time doing some damage control. On June 1, the same day an old video of 15-year-old Justin saying the N-word was released, the singer issued an extensive, personal apology on his Twitter page.

Justin Bieber: ‘I Was A Kid Then’

In the note, Justin initially explains that he was still a kid who didn’t know any better when the incriminating video was filmed. But even so, he takes full responsibility for his former self, and insists strongly that he has grown and matured greatly since then. He finishes by saying that he’s learned his lesson — read the full apology here:

As a kid, I didn’t understand the power of certain words and how they can hurt. I thought it was ok to repeat hurtful words and jokes, but didn’t realize at the time that it wasn’t funny and that in fact my actions were continuing the ignorance. Thanks to friends and family I learned from my mistakes and grew up and apologized for those wrongs. Now that these mistakes from the past have become public I need to apologize again to all those I have offended. I’m very sorry. I take my friendships with people of all cultures very seriously and I apologize for offending or hurting anyone with my childish and inexcusable mistake. I was a kid then and I am a man now who knows my responsibility to the world and not to make that mistake again. Ignorance has no place in our society and I hope the sharing of my faults can prevent others from making the same mistake in the future. I thought long and hard about what i wanted to say but telling the truth it always what’s right. Five years ago I made a reckless and immature mistake and I’m grateful to those close to me who helped me learn those lessons as a young man. Once again…. I’m sorry.

VH1’s The Gossip Table, spoke about the celebs that have defended Justin’s racist joke.

Get More:
The Gossip Table, Celebrity Gossip

Justin Bieber: Still Not Done Apologizing For Racist Video?

The video in question, of course, showed Justin telling friends extremely racist jokes, the worst of which ended with Justin cracking the punchline, “Run n****r, n****r, n****r, n****r!” After all the trouble Justin has gotten into, this leaked video may be the most damaging to his reputation — and the hardest controversy to recover from.

A source told HollywoodLife.com exclusively before Justin released his apology that he would be issuing a statement on Twitter, but the insider also said that the Biebs will be doing far more to ask for forgiveness. “The current plan… is to also appear on different morning shows and late night shows as well if it gets out of hand,” the source said. “They are going to weigh their options once the week begins as more people hear about it. They want to see how the public takes things and work from there on the amount of apologies they will be doing.”

Celebs Defend Justin On Twitter

Several celebrities took to Twitter to defend the pop star for his racist joke.

So what do you think, HollywoodLifers? Is this apology by Justin enough, or is he going to have to do a lot more to earn forgiveness? Let us know.

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More Justin Bieber News:

1. Justin Bieber: Fans Outraged Over Shocking N-Word Video
  2. Justin Bieber Posts Shirtless Dance Video – For Selena Gomez?
  3. Justin Bieber: Convinced Selena Gomez Will Come Back To Him

xia

Posted at 1:28 AM on June 4, 2014

ohhhhhhhh the next racist video may be on the horizon ya’ll…hmmm lets see what happens now :)

john lee

Posted at 2:53 PM on June 3, 2014

I WILL BE WAIT TO READ WHY YOU THINK A CRIMINAL AND LOW LIFE IS YOUR ROLE MODEL RB……………..

Kalani

Posted at 7:13 AM on June 3, 2014

My opinion as a nearly 12 year old teen is that you must go to africa to understand black behaviour.
Killing and raping is a habit for blacks but when they don’t have whites to supervise them it becomes much worse . Africa is rife with bestiality, slavery, genocide, cannibalism, raping of babies etc. Love and kisses kalani
Almost 12. Dying to be 12.

1970susan

Posted at 1:17 PM on June 3, 2014

Shut up…………..your a racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey

Posted at 2:32 PM on June 3, 2014

My dear almost 12 year old child with the sense and maturity the size of a peanut. Please do explain who were the ones who enslaved the black people, barged into their rights and took them away, arrested them for something as simple as not giving a white man a place to sit on a bus? Who are the ones who ignore the crimes of a white man and not let it reach the newspapers, but the world knows in two seconds if a black man did it? They were completely fine until the whites came along.

Better re-read your opinion. And you should actually go to Africa yourself to see how they live. The women are so damn kind and thought the kids there have nothing, they are happy to just run around and chase each other rather than be on the phone all day sending nudes to someone. The men are committed, protective and strong. But the kind of society they are brought to live in has ruined them. So before blaming the blacks look at yourselves.

Point is, you’re not very open minded at this age to see how this world is working. Blacks, whites, Asian etc are all people and there’s someone in every category that does the crimes you’ve listed above, not just blacks. We’re all people and are capable of this, and we are capable of goodness, too. So are the blacks.

I’m not saying whites are bad people, I’ve seen many generous, big hearted whites ready to be there for blacks, but there are stupid people among them, and I’m sorry, but you are one of them, whether you’re white, Asian, whatever. I kindly ask you to keep your trap shut about the black people. You weren’t the one taken into slavery and forced to build things for people. The hardships and struggles they had to endure was nothing your ancestors had to go through. You weren’t the one who are kept watch on, ready for them to trip, they were. And yet, most of them still spare the whites and decided to stay and make a future for themselves though it was hell for them.
Kindly, how about you try to think like an adult instead of ‘dying to be 12′, okay?

(I do not mean to offend any whites who read this, neither Kalani, but do think about it. And I understand that ever since blacks were given equal rights, they’ve had a lot more oppurtunities than ever at leading a better life. But people like Kalani, shut up.)

xia

Posted at 1:29 AM on June 4, 2014

beautiful :)

Birk1

Posted at 4:57 AM on June 3, 2014

Get real Hollywood Life! Most people don’t believe for a second that Justin Bieber is racist, considering he has long been criticized for trying to be “black” by some and his love for urban culture and urban music, not to mention all the black friends he has in the music and entertainment industry. He did a stupid thing I agree when he was 15 years old which was 5 years ago and has regretted it every since, not because of the bad publicity it would bring him but because he realized it was hurtful and has since grown and learned from this experience. This is why society gives teenagers slack for making mistakes and owning up to them so they learn from them and later become better people as they grow into adulthood.

Peanut Butter Boo Boo

Posted at 9:16 PM on June 2, 2014

PLUS+, I give props to the countless, countless, countless bla African Americans who get paid to go up on stage or at any club in Hollywood or on Main Street U.S.A. and tell countless racist jokes about white people that originate from PURE HATRED for whites. Yes, we smile, laugh and pat them on the back and we shall continue to do so. Peace my brotha, peace ”°º×»-(¯`v´¯)-» » » » » »

Peanut Butter Boo Boo

Posted at 9:12 PM on June 2, 2014

Any hoo, I have a confession to make.

I too told some inexcusable racist jokes as a care free youngster but didn’t realize at the time that it wasn’t funny but I am a man now who knows my responsibility to the world. Oh, they were so awful, for example º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°º°”°º×»-(¯`’•.¸(¯`’•.¸¸,º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°º°”°º×»-(¯`(¯`’•.¸ (¯`’•.¸¸ (¯`’•.¸ (¯`’•.¸¸ (¯`’•.¸ (¯`’•.¸¸…..

✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒How do you know Adam and Eve weren’t black?
You ever try to take a rib from a “N”? JUST PLAIN CRUEL

✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒What’s the most confusing day in Harlem?
Father’s Day! HURTFUL

✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒What’s the good part of there being no blacks on the Jetsons?
It means the future will be great! IGNORANT

✒✒✒✒✒✒✒Why do decent white folks go to “N’s” yard sales?
To get all their stuff back. RECKLESS

✒✒✒✒How is an “N” like a broken gun?
It doesn’t work and you can’t fire it. OFFENSIVE

>>> I hope the sharing of my faults can prevent others from making the same mistakes. Once again . . . I’m sorry.

Peanut Butter Boo Boo

Posted at 9:24 PM on June 2, 2014

And how we all cheer when Jamie Foxx says on the red carpet “I kill all the white people in the movie. How great is that?” HAHAHA Bravo! And when he declared at the NAACP Awards that “Black people are the most talented people in the world.” Right on man, Right on. And when he said “I’m forced to be white to get work in Hollywood, because when you’re black it’s ALWAYS racial.” YES YES YES Or when he said “I only date white women cause I love to hear them… OK OK OK, I better stop here, I’m getting goose bumps. And I won’t even get into his stand up routine (especially the early ones). LOVE HIM!!! I better stop here, I’m getting goose bumps, I have to go hee hee never mind. I have a poster of him on the wall in front of my bed hee hee sorry hee hee. ♥ ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥ ♥♥♥ ♥♥♥ ♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ P.S. MR. ♥ FOXX ♥ GOT FRONT ♥ ROW SEATS AT ♥ BOTH PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATIONS, WAS ♥ PICTURED DANCING WITH OUR ♥ FIRST LADY ♥ AT THE INAUGURATION BALL ♥ (AS WELL AS AT HER 50TH BIRTHDAY ♥ GALA), WAS ♥ GIVEN AN ACADEMY AWARD BY HOLLYWOOD POWERS THAT BE AND PLAYS GOLF ♥ WITH OUR PRESIDENT. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

miss mar

Posted at 3:08 PM on June 2, 2014

QUESTION OF THE DAY IS: Who was the woman saying he should have said motorcycle as well? She sounds like his mother actually and she was mature then ;) What’s her excuse???

xia

Posted at 4:27 PM on June 2, 2014

Hmmmmm exactly

Birk1

Posted at 5:00 AM on June 3, 2014

This is not Pattie, it was probably a chaperone since he was only 15 at the time and had to be escorted by adults everywhere he went.

miss mar

Posted at 8:11 AM on June 3, 2014

And you know this howww??

kin

Posted at 2:44 PM on June 2, 2014

whoa whoa wait a minute,justin is an adult now,not a kid,he has grown up and i love his handsome hair

john lee

Posted at 2:40 PM on June 2, 2014

DAY FIVE can a Justin fan tell me why they think this criminal and low life is a good role model for kids……………..

rb

Posted at 2:57 PM on June 2, 2014

@jonh lee: Why do you have to rely on others to be a role model for your own kids? Are they stupid? Are you lacking parenting skills?

1970susan

Posted at 4:28 PM on June 2, 2014

Shut up rb!!!!!!!! Im sure john is a great role modle to his kids, but if his kids wants to sing or act or something. They might like Selena Gomez , Demi Lovato, Zendaya, Or Ross lynch,ect…….But NOT Justin Bieber! Selena, Demi, Zendaya, and Ross does NOT have any arrest records. Plus there great singers/actors…………..

rb

Posted at 5:53 PM on June 2, 2014

@1970susan: That’s BS Susan; by your comment your role model didn’t teach you sh*t.

1970susan

Posted at 10:15 PM on June 2, 2014

@rb Yes it did dumby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned from them to keep on pursuing your dream, and NOT let haters like you try to tell me what to do! Plus there great role modles because they do NOT do all these “illegal” stuff like Justin does. Instead they help out at charity events……..

john lee

Posted at 2:41 PM on June 3, 2014

hey stupid not my kid she is only two I’m talking about all the kids in the world I’m talking about YOU tell me why a criminal and low life is your role model……………….

Birk1

Posted at 5:07 AM on June 3, 2014

Are you being that deliberately stupid on purpose to suggest that anyone who is merely accused of a crime is a convicted criminal?? I guess no one ever explained to you how the justice system works in the U.S.A. where everyone enjoys the right to be seen as innocent until proven guilty in a court room.. Some role model to your own kids you are if that is the garbage you are feeding them.. What will you say if you someday forget to pay your traffic tickets and the cops pull you over and take you down to the jail house ? Don’t tell me, you don’t drive either right? People get arrested every day, that doesn’t mean they necessarily are guilty, too many police have been caught abusing their powers and taking out their frustrations on innocent people over the years to even make that argument that anyone who is arrested is automatically guilty!

BeeBee

Posted at 12:37 PM on June 2, 2014

Would I want everything I did or said recorded for all to view or hear, absolutely not! Because this is Bieber everything is magnified. He is not a racist he has helped built a school for kids in Mexico, he has given money to hurricane victims in the Philippines, he has best friends that are black I could go on forever. TMZ IS OUT TO DESTROY JUSTIN BIEBER AND this has been going on for years.

BeeBee

Posted at 11:41 PM on June 2, 2014

Bieber has apologized and TMZ needs to apologize to Bieber for trying to ruin him since he was 16 years old. You are a sick short old bully.

BeeBee

Posted at 11:54 PM on June 2, 2014

I can’t tell how many times I have bit my tongue when different nationalities have said horrible comments about white people at places I have worked. Yes I am calling you out!!! Because we have had enough of the bull!!!!!! Can you dig it?

1970susan

Posted at 11:23 AM on June 2, 2014

I Dont think Justin has grown up yet nor does he really feels “sorry” for what he has done. If he really was sorry and was grown up now than He would NOT be calling a women a “bbtch”, He would NOT be doing drugs nor drinking, He would NOT have been arrested several times,ect………..JUSTIN IS NOT SORRY. JUSTIN IS STILL A KID AND A JERK!!!!!!!!!!!

Tito

Posted at 11:03 AM on June 2, 2014

He should have to sell his NBA team…

john lee

Posted at 12:40 AM on June 5, 2014

he did and got two BILLION dollars they really punished him didn’t they lol hahahahahaha all the way to the bank……………….

vibsi (belieber)

Posted at 10:17 AM on June 2, 2014

justin say sorry how more can he do hollywoodlife poeple if selena,naill horan,taylor swift or harry styles have doing that you will says good things about them but when is justin is that good enough carries in it a little off when it come to justin and his mistakes
ps it’s a video five years ago plus it was a joke I joker also with such things but I respect and the other

ELVIS PRESLEY

Posted at 8:44 AM on June 2, 2014

A JOKE? HE STILL HASN’T GROWN UP YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR SHOULD I SAY A JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1970susan

Posted at 11:24 AM on June 2, 2014

Agreed

ivan

Posted at 8:39 AM on June 2, 2014

This was a dumb joke made 5 years ago; the media made a big deal of it; it’s over; let it not be mentioned again!

yonceslay

Posted at 7:44 AM on June 2, 2014

i hope he get it together it was a joke but wrong