Charlize Theron Compares Press Attention To Being ‘Raped’ — Watch

Fri, May 30, 2014 3:41pm EDT by 10 Comments

In an interview with ‘Sky News’, Charlize Theron compared invasive press attention to being ‘raped’. Not good. Check out her interview and tell us what you think!

Charlize Theron, 38, stars in A Million Ways To Die In The West — which hit theaters today, May 30 — and has been doing a ton of press for the film. However, we’re not so sure Universal Pictures is going to like this particular bit of press. In an interview with Sky News, Charlize likened overly intrusive press attention to rape.

Charlize Theron ‘Raped’ By Press Attention — Doesn’t Google Herself

“I don’t [Google myself], so that’s my saving grace. I think it’s when you start living in that world and doing that, that you start feeling raped.” Is that really accurate?

Sky News also questioned her conviction, and she explained further that, “When it comes to your son and your private life, yeah. Maybe that’s just me. Some people might relish in all of that stuff, but there are certain things in my life that I think of as very sacred.”

Charlize is completely within her rights to dislike attention from the press, particularly overly invasive attention, but it’s awfully poor judgment to compare it to rape — an incredibly violent, agency-destroying, traumatizing act. She gave no thought to any of her fans who may have been sexually assaulted and who had to watch her blithely compare it, basically, to a bikini body write-up.

Charlize Theron Doesn’t Like The Word ‘Feminist’

However, this isn’t the first time that Charlize hasn’t exactly been a hero for women. In an interview with TheVine in 2012, she said that she didn’t like the word “feminist.”

“I feel like it carries a really big weight to it that I think can rub people the wrong way. I think people still have an image in their head of women burning bras and I’m like ‘we have evolved a little bit’ but for some reason that word never evolved.

“I feel like we should let go of all the stigma and just tell good stories and good narrative and just leave it at that. I don’t necessarily want to be part of films that are carrying their politics on their sleeve. I just want to entertain.”

She’s right in that there is a stigma attached to the word “feminist”, but it’s not up to feminists to come up with a new word; it’s up to people who don’t understand that feminism is simply a call for equality of the sexes to change their perception of the word’s true meaning.

What do you think about Charlize’s comments, HollywoodLifers? Was she out of line, or are you willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, that she didn’t mean to misspeak so grievously? Let us know!

– Amanda Michelle Steiner

More Charlize Theron News:

1. ‘A Million Ways To Die In The West’: Zillions Of Reasons You’ll Crack Up
  2. Charlize Theron Hilariously Reveals Son Jackson, 2, Is A Republican
  3. Charlize Theron On Dating Sean Penn: He Makes ‘My Life Better’

ICE

Posted at 8:26 AM on May 31, 2014

She’s an arrogant, useless ass! Quit your job if it’s so hard for you! You will fade away…you’re not a legend! Nobody should get that much money for playing pretend!

Mrs. Right

Posted at 8:39 PM on May 30, 2014

clearly she has never been a victim of sexual assault. her comments are not only insensitive but truly offensive to those who have been sexually assaulted. shame on her!!! there are many other ways for her to compare the intrusion and depiction of her personal life, than associating it to the equivalent of rape.

Bridgette Rodriguez

Posted at 1:37 AM on May 31, 2014

I understood what she meant by using rape in that way and am not offended.

FYI, here are some of the meanings also applied to “rape(d)”:

From http://www.dictionary.com : 4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

Fromt http://www.thefreedictionary.com : 3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice

olivia

Posted at 5:55 PM on May 30, 2014

damn! i agree with you 100%

Bridgette Rodriguez

Posted at 5:36 PM on May 30, 2014

I understood what she meant by using rape in that way and am not offended.

FYI, here are some of the meanings also applied to “rape(d)”:

Damn!

Posted at 6:04 PM on May 30, 2014

Well she needs to clarify what she meant.

Bridgette Rodriguez

Posted at 6:17 PM on May 30, 2014

Sorry, I disagree with you. The meanings that I gave you for rape(d) from online dictionaries exist now and have been around for many years. Now, had the subject been about sexual assault and she said something insensitive and used it improperly or made light of the term, then that would be totally different

Damn!

Posted at 1:46 PM on May 31, 2014

I’m sure none of those defenitions is what she meant though.

Bridgette Rodriguez

Posted at 1:51 PM on May 31, 2014

Understanding those definitions that I gave you, I easily understood the context in which she was using raped n the sentence/topic where she used it. So, I guess we agree to disagree. Have a good weekend.

Damn!

Posted at 4:30 PM on May 30, 2014

She should try getting raped and then compare the two.
There would be no contest.
She would rather invite the paps in to befriend them and give them photos, rather then be raped.
She gave no thought to the answer to this question.
I thinks she needs to go talk to a woman who has been raped and see how she feels after.
She put her foot in her mouth. And she has a child!
I used to think she was smart. Not anymore.
Look at her. “Poor me I feel raped because the paps are following me.”
Really!? Wake up lady, you are seriously out of touch.