‘American Idol’ Finale Recap: Season 13 Winner Revealed — Caleb Or Jena?

Wed, May 21, 2014 10:17pm EDT by 27 Comments
American Idol Winner
Getty

Jb dukes

Posted at 11:53 PM on May 27, 2014

jena,multi- talented,should have one.I was sick that Caleb won over Alex.

u2philly

Posted at 10:41 AM on May 22, 2014

oh boy another crazy site. I am on team Caleb and he deserved the freaking win!! The man has been trying for a few years now. All I can say its about time American got it right! Jena is talented and very young. She still has to establish her own sound. Most female teen singers all sound the same.

Chelsea Rojja

Posted at 10:27 AM on May 22, 2014

UMMMMMM now HOW is it possible that Caleb won, when on youtube Jena’s videos have 2 to 1 hits over his, she’s blown up! and he’s just not as much, by half

Word Man

Posted at 9:00 AM on May 22, 2014

Caleb was the right choice. Jena is talented but ruins it by purposely mispronouncing the words. Harry once thought it was a speech defect – which would be easier to take than screwing up words on purpose!

marilynmendoza

Posted at 3:41 AM on May 22, 2014

I’ve been for Jena since the beginning. I am sad she didn’t win and I hope she won’t melt into obscurity like the guy who was second to Kelly Clarkson. I liked him and now I can’t even remember his name. I was so shocked I dropped my champagne glass to toast Jena. I’m taking this way too hard. Aloha

Chelsea Rojja

Posted at 10:30 AM on May 22, 2014

I hope she realizes that whether you win first or not on Idol, you have to fight to be your own artist and successful …. she seems too laid back and not realize how she was manipulated – stupid flash in pan pop songs will never win over classic rock standards

marilynmendoza

Posted at 6:11 PM on May 22, 2014

I was rock before rock started 1950’s and was a big Janis Joplin fan so I’m not against rock or for pop. My opinion is that rehashing of a good rock song without originality or putting your own stamp on it is not better than a songwriter with a powerful voice who can be a star with the right direction. I also loved Stevie Nicks who is a poet as well as a rock goddess and Pat Benatar who blew the house down. Jena is 17 and has a better chance of growing into an icon in my humble opinion.

Popcorn Whiskey

Posted at 3:28 AM on May 22, 2014

Very disappointed in America for voting Caleb American Idol. Jena was better every week and is radio ready. Check out our take on Caleb http://popcornwhiskey.com/2014/05/22/why-america-got-it-wrong/

Chelsea Rojja

Posted at 10:36 AM on May 22, 2014

But Jena is going to have to grow up very quickly and learn that whether you win idol or not, you HAVE to fight to be successful in the biz, she’s going to have to fight to be the artist she is and fight to be a success …. Kelly had to, Daughtry did, Carrie even fought for her first single to be “Jesus, take the wheel”, Hudson went after and fought for that role – winning doesn’t matter, it is about fighting to move on and be a sucess

Popcorn Whiskey

Posted at 1:50 PM on May 22, 2014

No winning is not the only way to be successful after Idol, but Jena deserved the title. Hopefully she can fight her way to the charts, she did fight her way on Idol, being the wildcard.

K Peters

Posted at 1:23 AM on May 22, 2014

Where was MK tonight???

marilynmendoza

Posted at 3:37 AM on May 22, 2014

I heard she was too ill to attend

Vesna

Posted at 12:59 AM on May 22, 2014

I am so excited that CALEB won! That young man has persistence, stamina, sweet personality, enormous talent and the best voice I have heard in a long time. May ALL doors open for you, Caleb! I became your true fan (like your mum!)

Jan Fredericks

Posted at 12:46 AM on May 22, 2014

‘The Man’ song was Horrible!! Yikes!!

Embarrassing

Posted at 12:10 AM on May 22, 2014

Wow Caleb was embarrassingly bad. Jena, Sam,Jessica and Malaya were great though. Liked the judges too. Not unusual Idol has picked the wrong person pretty much for the past eight years, aside from Candace. Most of those who don’t win end up doing better, so I guess it doesn’t matter. It’s still cool to just see new talent. The voice seems to have the same problem.

wrong again

Posted at 11:57 PM on May 21, 2014

Idol picked the wrong person once again. Well I guess the little kids go with Jennifer and Keith. They were pushing for Caleb all season. Man he and KISS really sounded horrible. Jena and Paramour ironically really rocked it. Loved seeing Sam, Jessica, etc. The judges did a nice job too. Definitely a better finale than The Voice.

Jan Fredericks

Posted at 12:47 AM on May 22, 2014

I wonder where Caleb got the phrase about breaking necks and cashing checks?

Nancy J

Posted at 2:03 AM on May 22, 2014

No way…they finally got it right…someone besides a pop singer! Caleb has the potential to create a great classic sound as a front man in a rock band…something we have very little of now days. Jena is good, and she will get a recording contract as well, but much more potential for Caleb. Very happy with the result. Caleb didn’t sound like crap…KISS did! Paul Stanley couldn’t hold a candle to Caleb’s voice and would have been better off to just let Caleb sing it, because he brought Caleb’s voice down.

Chelsea Rojja

Posted at 10:33 AM on May 22, 2014

Jena is the greater performer and overall talent, but she was too laid back about it, she didn’t put up a fight the way you have to to not only win but make it in the bs biz she’s going to be in – Kelly, Daughtry, Hudson, even Carrie all had to fight to get where they got after the show – Jena needs to wake up and get rid of the “its about having fun” bs

andrenesmith

Posted at 12:04 AM on May 23, 2014

Idol didn’t pick anyone. Viewer votes picked the winner. And Jennifer was not pushing Caleb – she was stuck so far up Jena’s butt it was ridiculous. (The look of disagreement on JLo’s face when Jena didn’t win proved that). What kind of judge runs up to a contestant and hugs and kisses her during the competition?? A bad one. She needs to be more impartial. The sound during the KISS performance was bad not the singing. And I thought the judges and Randy’s performance was horrible. I just wish Jessica Meuse had more of a stage presence that would have carried her to the finals because her voice was SO much better than Jena’s and whats up with that stupid speech issue she has when she sings?

anon

Posted at 11:11 PM on May 21, 2014

Caleb deserves to win.

anonymosme

Posted at 10:49 PM on May 21, 2014

CONGRATS CALEB!!!!!! ABOUT TIME A TRUE ROCKER MADE IDOL!!!!!! I WISH YOU THE BEST, AMAZING VOICE!!!!!!!!! I HAD WISHED THE SAME FOR JAMES/DURBIN TOO, YOU BOTH REMIND ME OF EACH OTHER, SAME GENRE. THE BEST TO YOU, YOU DESERVE IT CALEB!!!!!!!!

John Christian Ambion

Posted at 10:30 PM on May 21, 2014

America picked the WORNG person…AGAIN!

marilynmendoza

Posted at 3:37 AM on May 22, 2014

I am beyond shocked. I was so sure Jena would win. She deserved to win. Caleb messed up so many times and Jena was consistently wonderful. so sad

glynspsa

Posted at 6:28 AM on May 22, 2014

do you comprehend music at all? As good as Jena is andshe is very very good,Caleb is already a polished gem, and has his style firmly established. He was amazing and saying anything less shows how you do not get rock music.

Shaun

Posted at 10:25 PM on May 21, 2014

Wanted jena to win so bad but oh we’ll no use complaining anymore jena will get signed very soon I love jena

Jan Fredericks

Posted at 12:46 AM on May 22, 2014

agree — she is very talented and humble.