‘American Idol’ Recap: Jennifer Lopez Kisses Jena Irene After Performance

Wed, May 7, 2014 10:11pm EDT by 22 Comments

On the May 7 episode of ‘American Idol’, the Top 4 performed three songs each for your votes! Only two weeks until the finale, and the competition is getting fierce.

The Top 4 performed three songs each on the May 7 episode of American Idol, and with the theme being “Love: Break-Ups/Make-Ups,” there were a lot of really amazing, heartfelt performances — like Caleb Johnson singing Bon Jovi! Which is something we can all agree is what he was made for. Furthermore, JLo got so worked up over Jena Irene’s performance that she kissed her on the cheek afterward! A step up from “goosies,” we’d say. Read on for our full recap!

‘American Idol’ Recap: Caleb Johnson Kills It Singing Bon Jovi

1a. Caleb Johnson, “You Give Love A Bad Name,” by Bon Jovi
Yo, Caleb was born to sing Bon Jovi. He brought the house down with this one. The judges agreed that it was a great way to open the show.

Jena Irene: Jennifer Lopez ‘Smelled Really Good’ When She Kissed Me

2a. Jessica Meuse, “Since U Been Gone,” by Kelly Clarkson
Woof, this was not good. Jennifer Lopez put it diplomatically by saying that she “felt like [Jessica] felt the song.” That’s “you’re garbage” in JLo-speak. Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. similarly couched their criticism of her performance in a whole lot of praise. Sometimes you just need Simon Cowell.

3a. Alex Preston, “Too Close,” by Alex Clare
I looove Alex, but I wasn’t overwhelmed by this performance, and nor were the judges. Not that it was bad, necessarily, but it was just the usual — nothing incredibly special. He did his thing and his thing is great and he’s a beautiful snowflake — but meh! Maybe I just don’t like the song.

4a. Jena Irene, “Heartbreaker,” by Pat Benatar
First of all, the only thing I can think about when I think about this song is Steinbrenner singing it on Seinfeld. Here you go. Aaanyway, this was definitely a good song for her, but Keith didn’t feel like she fully connected with the song, and that her moves were not borne from the music. Harry said something similar, and Jena said that she couldn’t move around because of the giant heels she was wearing. Aww, now I’m sad for Jena. Stylists, why would you do that to that poor girl?!

Then, Jennifer  showed Jena how to move in heels — ostensibly under protest — because Harry made the band give her a beat. “You know you can’t give me a beat!” Jennifer said, hilariously. I mean really, who can resist a beat?

‘American Idol’ Recap: Jena Irene Sings ‘Bad Romance’ By Lady Gaga

1b. Caleb Johnson, “Travelin’ Band,” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Has anybody ever noticed that Keith knows the words to literally every song? Anyway, Jennifer said it best — this song was totally in Caleb’s wheelhouse, and it will be tough to beat him.

2b. Jessica Meuse, “So What,” by Pink
This was another not-great one for her. Harry told her that he hopes her third song will be better. Keith told her that a song that doesn’t suit her is not reflective of her talent — which is totally true. Why, Jessica, why? Why these choices!

3b. Jena Irene, “Bad Romance,” by Lady Gaga
“You really give Caleb a run for his money when it comes to the big performances,” Jennifer told her.

4b. Alex Preston, “I’m Yours,” by Jason Mraz
Alex Preston — you trying to kill me? He sang this song on a ukelele — a ukelele — and he was in perfect, adorable form. Harry criticized the performance for following the original too closely, however.

‘American Idol’ Recap: Jennifer Lopez Gives Jena Irene A Kiss For Her Performance Of ‘Can’t Help Falling In Love’

1c. Caleb Johnson, “Maybe I’m Amazed,” by Paul McCartney
We have been waiting to see Caleb bring it on a ballad — and this was the one for him, for sure. Jennifer and Keith gave him a standing ovation, while Harry stayed pensively seated — so you could tell he loved it. In fact, he told him it was “absolutely phenomenal!” Wow, who knew that he had it in him?

2c. Jessica Meuse, “Yoü And I,” by Lady Gaga
This was better than her other two, for sure, and while I was still “meh” about it, the judges liked it well enough! What’s to say? I’m sorry, but it looks like Jessica might be hitting the road after this episode.

3c. Jena Irene, “Can’t Help Falling In Love,” by Elvis Presley
Yay! Jena on the piano! This was a perfect performance — she totally killed it. Jennifer went bonkers over this, standing up and clapping only when Jena was about two-thirds through the song. Once Jena finished, Jennifer got up to kiss her on the cheek! She made sure to note that it’s her third year judging on American Idol, and she’s never felt the urge to kiss somebody. Keith called her a “musical platypus” (?!) which was apparently a good thing, because Australia, I dunno.

4c. Alex Preston, “Yellow,” by Coldplay
Alex gets a lot of shade for his low-key acoustic guitar schtick, but he does it well! I mean, “Yellow?” Perfect for him! As usual, he changed the melody slightly and in an interesting way that suited his voice, and I still want him to be my boyfriend, OK? Even though I think Jena or Caleb may beat him to the top prize.

So, what do you think, HollywoodLifers? Who’s got this one in the bag? Who’s getting eliminated on the May 8 episode? Let us know!

– Amanda Michelle Steiner

More ‘American Idol':

1. ‘American Idol’ Contestants On Sam Woolf Elimination — ‘Dude, So Dumb’
  2. ‘American Idol’ Elimination: A Fan Favorite Singer Is Sent Home
  3. Jena Irene: Ariana Grande Told Me I Did A ‘Great Job’ On ‘American Idol’

tinniers

Posted at 1:14 AM on May 23, 2014

YES, I totally agree with everything Kathy said. Jennifer should have been fired that night. I hope she is not a judge any more.
I thought she was very rude and misjudged Jessica Meuse.

Kathy

Posted at 12:49 AM on May 12, 2014

Are you serious, jennifer going on stage hugging & kissing Jena? Jlo should be booted off for good! That was unprofessional & uncalled for. It is so disgusting I don’t want to watch anymore. So totally unfair. I like to kick her out off the public eye for good. I know she influenced voting. Get rid of her PLEASE! Dreamer3240, you are living up in the clouds!

Dreamer3240

Posted at 3:36 AM on May 10, 2014

I guess a final comment I have to all naysayers of American Idol, people unhappy with the judging and feeling that AI producers are pushing who they want to win: If you’re unhappy STOP WATCHING! For goodness sakes, no one is forcing you to watch. STOP POSTING. If you’re that unhappy why waste your time on something you find distasteful. There are plenty of other shows out there to watch. No way would I waste my time watching or talking about something that bothered me so much! Go get a life people!

Ana Costa

Posted at 7:29 PM on May 9, 2014

For me, alex is the best of all competitors. He can not win, but it will be the person who will have more chances of having a music career, because he is not only a good singer, as an excellent songwriter and musician. I think JLO has outdone itself with that hug. It was not professional and was very inconvenient. I had noticed their preferences, but this time she has outdone itself.

cininne

Posted at 3:23 PM on May 9, 2014

There is NOTHING diplomatic about Jennifer Lopez on American Idol. She is as transparent as they come. It is disgusting and she needs to go.

Donna

Posted at 12:57 AM on May 9, 2014

I feel that the last two should be Jessica and Caleb! Jena has the moves but i can’t understand her words..and isn’t that as important as sound and moves?

Brewster

Posted at 3:13 PM on May 8, 2014

We did not like the way Jena trashed that iconic song, it was terrible. JLO was unprofessional going up on stage and kissing her. Jess has improved every week and just needs to lose that guitar. I could see her moving around the stage to the music. If she is booted tonight, it will be because of the constant dissing by the judges

Dreamer3240

Posted at 10:42 AM on May 8, 2014

To expand upon what HCJ was trying to say about Jena’s “Can’t Help Falling in Love” performance: It is very rare that the right moment in time with the right artist, the right song and the right atmosphere all come together to produce a performance a special as what Jena did last night. If she were to sing that song again tonight, it wouldn’t have the same impact.

annewatson65

Posted at 1:52 PM on May 8, 2014

I gotta a nice 6 month old BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe Sedan just by some part-time working online with a pc. check out here
…….J­­O­­B­­S­­6­­1­­.­­C­­O­­M­­

cininne

Posted at 3:25 PM on May 9, 2014

I think Jena ruined that song. Elvis must have been rolling in his grave. She made it sound like she was in a Las Vegas lounge… just off the strip!

oldschool

Posted at 11:56 PM on May 9, 2014

Couldn’t be much worse! Read posts on other sites! Most agree she is the least talented of top 10 and JLO favoring her unprofessionally. Lotta cheating by AI producers trying to save show by molding teeny-bopper votes. This show is doomed. Intelligent viewers are not getting fooled.

sue tiene

Posted at 9:50 AM on May 8, 2014

Jessics has the best voice that i have ever hesrd si ging. That includes the jusges..i would love to buy her records

Dreamer3240

Posted at 10:45 AM on May 8, 2014

If Jessica has the best voice you have ever heard, I’m going to suggest that you are a very very young person who has not been exposed to much music. I think Jessic’s voice is just fine but doesn’t come close to even the top 100 best voices of all time!

Carol

Posted at 6:23 AM on May 8, 2014

Although Caleb and Jena may be the top powerhouse singers this year on idol I don’t think it is right that the judges constantly find fault with Jess every week and every song. Seams like the judges and Randy are pushing the 2 they want in the final. Jess and Alex don’t get much assistance on stage as the other two do. just saying.

Dreamer3240

Posted at 1:13 PM on May 8, 2014

What the judges are finding fault in with Jessica is not her voice, but her stage presence. She has none – zero – zilch. Not everyone who is a good or great singer is a good or great performer. Jessica thinks she’s feeling and showing emotion and variyig sides of herself as she performs but she is not. The only time her voice seems to meld with a song is when she is stoned-face, planted in the middle singing. She’s got absolutely no rhythm which blows my mind. Who can someone be musical and have no rythm? Seems impossible but Jessica proves that it is possible. Again, Jessica has a good voice but that is it.

cininne

Posted at 3:27 PM on May 9, 2014

So what else is new… that is the theme of Idol. They try to force their choice on us. I have nothing against Candice Glover from last year… but really?

salifu

Posted at 9:29 AM on May 10, 2014

I think carol ur right cos alex is very talented n jessica hav the greatest voice in the competition.the judges always speak of nothin but to favor jena n although jena is good but not as alex n jessica n to talk of caleb,he is the best n i hav nothin to say about him

Vickie

Posted at 4:03 AM on May 8, 2014

I liked the performance, but I think that Jennifer really overreacted about it. It was okay. It was not spectacular. Sorry.

Robert

Posted at 1:41 AM on May 8, 2014

Please tell me Jena’s song by Elvis is going to be put up to be purchased. Elvis would have been honored to have known someone could sing such a beautiful rendition of his song with such heart and feeling..

melissa morgan

Posted at 10:44 PM on May 7, 2014

I love Jessica she doesn’t need 2 go that dame alex does I vote every week 4 jess I hav for jena n caleb as well but now tht its down to wire all my votes r for jess

Dreamer3240

Posted at 10:38 AM on May 8, 2014

I agree with all the fans of Jessica about having a good voice. She does. But I have a serious problem with her stage presence. I almost think she’s had botox on her face because her expression does not change whether she’s singing a sad song or a happy song. Jessican will make a great studio artist but as far a live concerts, I don’t see her selling tickets very well.

Dreamer3240

Posted at 1:18 PM on May 8, 2014

My feelings about Alex are that he is probably the most talented musician on the show. But he does the same thing over and over and over. Could you image going to an Alex concert? I’d be bored half way through. Different song, same vibe. I always enjoy his performances and even consider most of his performances great. But when you do the same thing over and over you’re going to be great.