A private company is claiming to have possibly uncovered the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 in the Bay of Bengal, thousands of miles away from the current search area in the Indian Ocean. Could it be that the search for the missing plane is finally over?
An Australian land and sea exploration company called GeoResonance revealed in a statement on April 29 that it had found what it “believed to be the wreckage of a commercial airliner” in the Bay of Bengal. Search officials are skeptical that the debris is from Flight 370, but after they announced on April 28 that they were calling off a fruitless aerial sweep led by seven countries, GeoResonance could be the last hope for the families of the passengers.
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 Found? — Wreckage Located Away From Search Area
GeoResonance said in a statement on April 29: “The company is not declaring this is MH370, however it should be investigated.”
The company’s director, David Pope, said he was reluctant to share its discovery with the public, but felt he was given no other choice.
“We’re a large group of scientists, and we were being ignored, and we thought we had a moral obligation to get our findings to the authorities,” he told CNN’s “New Day” on April 29.
Malaysia flight search leaders at the Joint Agency Coordination Centre have dismissed the company’s claim, saying, “The Australian-led search is relying on information from satellite and other data to determine the missing aircraft’s location. The location specified by the GeoResonance report is not within the search arc derived from this data. The joint international team is satisfied that the final resting place of the missing aircraft is in the southerly portion of the search arc.”
Nevertheless, Malaysia is leaving no stone unturned. The country’s transportation minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, said it “is working with its international partners to assess the credibility of this information,” according to CNN.
Malaysia Flight 370: Aerial Search Ends
Officials announced on April 28 that an aerial search that included 600 military personnel from at least seven countries had been shut down after seven weeks.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott says that it’s “highly unlikely” that any wreckage will be found on the ocean’s surface at this point.
Officials are currently planning to conduct a more thorough underwater search that will employ private contractors and cost at least $56 million. The search could take anywhere between six to eight months.
— Tierney McAfee
More Flight 370 News:
- Malaysia Flight 370: US Pilot Says He’s Found The Missing Plane
- Malaysia Plane: Does Prime Minister Actually Know Where Flight 370 Is?
- Malaysia Flight 370 Landed & Hiding Somewhere – New Investigation