Coachella has turned from joyous to tragic overnight. College student Kimchi Truong died from a suspected drug overdose just five days after collapsing at a taxi-stand during the music festival.
Kimchi Truong, 24, was rushed to John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital on April 13 after collapsing at a taxi-stand during the Coachella music festival, according to information from Riverside County Coroner Stanley Sniff.
College Student Dies Just 5 Days After Collapsing At Coachella
The Califorina State — East Bay student was later transferred to Desert Regional Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at around 2.30 p.m. on April 17, reports KTLA.
Police say the Oakland native had sought medical attention around 2 a.m. at the festival’s medical tent. She was helped to the taxi-stand and afterwards she collapsed — unconscious on the ground!
According to the coroner, Kimchi’s death was attributed to a suspected overdose of “illicit drugs or alcohol” in her system.
Coachella has been known as a festival where things can get a little crazy, and where drugs are readily available. Investigators in the case are still waiting to get the toxicology report back before they make a final statement on the official cause of death.
Kimchi Truong Dies After Overdosing At Coachella
Goldenvoice, Coachella’s promoter, issued a statement calling Kimchi’s death “an unfortunate but isolated incident.”
However, police in Indio, Calif. where Coachella is held, said it may not be so isolated. Police spokesman Ben Guitron told The Desert Sun that festival-goers have died in the past after returning to their hotel rooms.
What do you think HollywoodLifers, should Coachella be monitored more closely for drug use? Tell us what you think.
— Bryant Perkins