Michelle Duggar: ‘Easter Is Not About Bunnies, It Is About Jesus Christ’

Fri, April 18, 2014 2:48pm EDT by 15 Comments

As expected, the Duggar family has some very intense feelings about the Easter holiday. ’19 Kids & Counting’ star Michelle Duggar is sharing some of the annual family traditions, as well as explaining why they call it ‘Resurrection Day’ instead of Easter.

Michelle Duggar, 47, gets to re-live some of her favorite family traditions every year on what she calls “Resurrection Day.” Click inside to watch and find out what they are!

Michelle Duggar — “Easter Is About Christ”

While some families are coloring eggs and putting together baskets filled with chocolates for the Easter Bunny to drop off, Michelle Duggar and her children has other plans.

“We really want to make the focus and emphasis on the fact that it’s the resurrection of Jesus Christ,” Michelle shares in this new behind-the-scenes video. “We sing songs, we draw pictures of the cross, and we make cookies.”

Noticeably missing from Michelle’s description of “Resurrection Day”? Chocolate bunnies, egg hunts, and Easter bunnies. Why is that? Because Michelle makes sure her children are only participating in activities that will help them learn the the beliefs about their religion and Jesus Christ’s resurrection.

Of course it comes as no surprise that Michelle and her brood would want to focus primarily on the religious aspect, considering they all have intense relationships with God.

Who is that thanks to? Mom, of course! But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a little bit of fun involved.

“We have cute little fold-out pictures that we’ve made over the years,” Michelle shared. “We might do it again the next year.”

Awesome!

Tell us, HollywoodLifers — What do you think about the Duggar’s Easter traditions? Let us know your thoughts below!

– Lauren Cox

More ’19 Kids & Counting’ News:

1. ’19 Kids & Counting’ Stars Josh & Anna Duggar Welcome Baby Boy
  2. ’19 Kids & Counting’ Jill Duggar & Derick Dillard Engaged — Congrats
  3. Jill Duggar Wants To ‘Pop Out’ As Many Kids As Possible

Clare

Posted at 10:08 PM on September 13, 2014

So what if they have many kids? At least these kids have a mother and father in the home. How about all the single moms with many kids and don’t know who the dad is? Condemnation of decency is a sad state of affairs. The family looks happy, and God Bless them for their life style. No ones business how many they kids they have. Parents used to have larger families – how about in Ireland where they had many kids? And there are other faiths having many kids. No ones business but their own.

Clare

Posted at 10:05 PM on September 13, 2014

I think the Duggers are okay. I would rather have them as neighbors then some of the neighbors I now have. The have respect and appreciation, love and decency. All this is missing in todays world Easter is in the bible (New Testament) and it is only about Christ and rising from the dead and ascending into heaven. I feel sorry for those who have not awaken to reality. One day they will find out for themselves and it may be too late at that time.

vanillanicole

Posted at 5:17 PM on May 29, 2014

Easter is all about the fertility goddess Oestre. Bunnies, eggs, etc… represent fertility. I don’t know why Christians try to claim this holiday as their own while using the very name of the Pagan goddess. Why not call it something Christian. Even the word estrogen has its roots in her name. It has extremely Pagan roots, just like Christmas. We all know ancient Christians hijacked these holidays to make it easier for Pagans to accept Christianity. I don’t really care either way, but let’s not pretend it’s “all about Jesus”. Everyone can celebrate the goddess and/or their Christian god, with all the bunnies and chocolate they want, regardless of religious beliefs/non-beliefs.

Hooty

Posted at 10:36 PM on May 6, 2014

We all fight over opinions about holidays. We as Christians are the body of Christ. Yall think we can show the world Christ if we argue over the small things. There is one God so why cant we be one in Christ? Dissension that ought not be.God bless brothers and sisters in Christ may the God of peace be with you. Amen

shestr

Posted at 7:23 PM on April 23, 2014

I don’t know how in the world this woman had 19 kids but I love this family. There couldn’t be any more truth to this. Easter IS about jesus and ONLY jesus ,so yeah! I think this is cool

Deborah Evans

Posted at 10:14 AM on April 22, 2014

I also call Easter resurrection Sunday thanks to our pastor teaching us that Easter was a god of fertility and we should not have no other God but our Lord God almighty as we have learned also our God is a jealous God! He truly is our only Savior and I worship only the Father of Jesus! However, im a 63 yr old greatgrandmother and I havent been able to pursuade my children to follow these ideas. I’m praying.

kristen

Posted at 1:13 AM on April 21, 2014

Both right and wrong. Wrong: Easter absolutely is about bunnies and much more. Right: In celebrating Jesus’s resurrection, it is probably better not to invoke the name of a germanic goddess as a title.

Jinka

Posted at 12:57 AM on April 21, 2014

Hmmm do they eat chocolate other times of the year and are bunnies evil? I am Christian and my boys know what Easter and Christmas mean for us. However; we celebrate with baskets too. They in no way are getting the wrong message about Jesus’gift of salvation by enjoying a peanut butter chocolate egg. The Duggars seem like a nice family and it’s quite amazing that she has homeschooled 19 kids but they give me the creeps.

diana

Posted at 7:33 PM on April 20, 2014

Thats sad i know how important religion is to them but why take the holiday fun away from the kids.

JC Rules

Posted at 10:16 PM on April 19, 2014

Finally someone with the Guts to say it ,and Cut out the Godless B.S regarding Easter..Easter is NOT about Bunnys and Eggs!..It’s the Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ Our Lord and Savior thats ment to be Celebrated this Weekend.. .

Amanda Shuff

Posted at 4:34 PM on April 19, 2014

This is freaking hilarious the intensity of people’s ‘opinions’ in this matter. And let me tell you who claims she should keep her legs shut that you obviously have no understanding of having children. Some want one, and some want a clan. As long as they are providing for the children physically, psychologically, and spiritually, then what is the problem. And I looooove the people who speak of the TV show ‘exploiting’ the children. Ha. If some television exec offered you anything, you would jump. And I think this family is more focused not on fame or being on TV, but in showing people how we NEED to live. If we don’t believe in the religion of it, then just take stock that this woman with 19 children has a person, loving, unique relationship with all of them. Most parents can’t seem to have one with one child. I think a lot of us has a lot to learn from this family.

---

Posted at 2:58 AM on April 19, 2014

Duggars are better than the Palins!

me

Posted at 5:13 PM on April 18, 2014

And I suppose she thinks Jesus would be happy with her polluting the world with her 19 and counting kids?.This lady needs to keep her legs closed and stop preaching to others about Easter.Yes Easter is about Jesus but Jesus wouldn’t mind little kids happiness in candy and finding Easter eggs.

Jamie

Posted at 11:27 AM on April 19, 2014

“Polluting the world with her 19 and counting kids?”…..I wish everyone’s children were as intelligent, well-mannered and kind as the Duggar children. Maybe the world would be a much better place than this one filled with rude, obnoxious, cruel, and self-centered brats who turn into hate-filled adults/jerks like yourself.

Jenny

Posted at 1:26 PM on April 19, 2014

Very well said Jamie!

And to “Me”, I would recommend you read the Bible and get to know Jesus before making assertions regarding what Jesus would find acceptable or not. Here are a few verse I hope will help :

Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

1John 2:15-17 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

James 4:4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Mrs. Duggar is absolutely correct. The resurrection of Jesus Christ is not about eggs, chocolate, bunnies or worldly things. The fact that Jesus has shed His precious blood on the cross for our sins, was buried and resurrected on the third day – defeating death and giving all who believe on Him eternal life is a celebration that cannot be matched! You do an eternal disservice to your children and anyone else by watering down the true message of the resurrection of Christ by adding worldly pagan traditions.