‘American Idol’ Recap: Heartbreaking Elimination For A Favorite To Win

Thu, April 10, 2014 9:43pm EDT by 31 Comments
Malaya Watson Eliminated American Idol
Courtesy of FOX

Ricardo

Posted at 7:11 AM on April 13, 2014

Boring season. Most of the contestants are ordinary. Exception being Jena and Malaya. Caleb is talented but born 20 years too late.

andri iona

Posted at 5:31 AM on April 12, 2014

American Idol? I’ve noticed more livest lovestruck action from a ping pong ball… H -T -M -L @ #for hadst hashtag

Cheng

Posted at 11:40 AM on April 11, 2014

Love Malaya and hate to see her go. But the judges are right america based on the performance a night before. Weve been saying sam doesnt deserve it, the guy proved to us he could. Though he stiil need more connection but the voice, proven he did have god’s given gift. Agree, randy should be changed as mentor! He is useless in there. Jessica is a robot girl as i see it, dexter continues eating his lyrics tho he is a performer. CJ should have gone home but maybe he did ok the night before. But want him off than malaya. Jena’s style isnt new at all. Looking on Caleb’s facial expression, it wasnt that much connected but his performance was full of confidence and had reached that note expected from him. But his likes are many in music industry nowadays. Well, it’s anybody’s game now.

Lula

Posted at 11:08 AM on April 11, 2014

I find Malaya’s vocals hard to listen to. She always sounds like she has a cold in the lower register and often sounds screamy on high notes. Her stage presents is so forced and odd looking…I agree that she is adorable and has a huge amount of natural singing talent, but she needs some time and practice to really shine. CJ should never have made the top 15. His voice is sometimes pleasant to listen to, but more often just jarringly off key. He should have gone home before Malaya. Jena is my pick to win. Alex is awesome also. Caleb sings and performs really well but lacks originality. Sam and Jess are both very talented singers and musicians who lack stage presence–Jess more so than Sam.

Lula

Posted at 11:10 AM on April 11, 2014

I didn’t even mention Dexter. Because blech.

virginia

Posted at 10:50 AM on April 11, 2014

This is the worse American Idol. .ever..no one can really sing…very boring. .no..talent…I blame it all on the judge’s. .and why is Randy. .there..He makes it worse…

Yogi Gupta

Posted at 10:28 AM on April 11, 2014

Malaya has the best personality, a bubbly bundle of joy. She is one of the exceptional faces that looks great in dental braces and glasses. She could do a commercial for some company selling dental products. But, she is NOT a singer. She screams and shouts, and most of the time out-of-tune. I love her, but it was right for her to go. Technically, the best singers are Alex and Sam, they don’t sing out of tunes, great tones, and can evem write the original music. However, they are NOT performers. Caleb is the best performer. Jess has acceptable talent for a country singer, but whoever heard of a ‘Gothic Country’ star. I love Jena, she has a unique voice, she is pretty with a sweet personality. She does not come from a family of musicians, she has the minimum training. I will put her among top 5. Dexter and CJ are just lucky to be there, neither one of them can carry a tune. One of them should go next week.

Lula

Posted at 5:12 PM on April 11, 2014

Caleb is the best karaoke performer. He has a powerful, great voice. Alex, though, pulls everyone in like a magnet to what he’s singing. THAT is great performing.

Tamra R

Posted at 10:05 AM on April 11, 2014

The correct choice was made. Malaya CANNOT sing! It is not so much that she is occasionally off-key, but the fact that she does not sing. She screams through all the high registers.

Dave K

Posted at 8:34 AM on April 11, 2014

I truly hate how year after year this competition turns into a popularity contest and people vote based off of who they “like” best and not who has the most talent.

Malaya consistently provided strong performances that set her apart from most of the contestants, but she was consistently in the bottom 3, what does that tell you?

I had been saying since ever since she followed up that awful Bruno Mars song (sorry Malaya, it was a bad choice!) with that powerhouse gospel sing, which absolutely blew me away, that it was going to come down to her and Caleb…whelp, so much for that, thanks America!

Apparently America would rather have an idol that marches in place with high water pants or an emotionless stick figure that just slugs around the stage…fair enough ‘Murica!!! I’m truly sad to see her go, but with a voice and personality like that, I’m certain we’ll be seeing her again!!!

da

Posted at 7:51 AM on April 11, 2014

irene and alex for the finale

Blu gram

Posted at 7:05 AM on April 11, 2014

Please send Randy home1

Cheng

Posted at 11:41 AM on April 11, 2014

Hahaha! Exactly!

mike mccracken

Posted at 6:04 AM on April 11, 2014

Caleb killed it and malaya should not of goten the boot

Sara evans

Posted at 2:26 AM on April 11, 2014

I think Harry should be mentoring…I never cared for Randy as a judge and care even less for him as a mentor..I think Harry is very passionate about music and could have made a huge difference to these kids had he been mentoring them.. None of them have impressed me that much this season. Anyone of them could have gone home. I am hard pressed to think of anyone of them ending up with the title):…. I predict idol is headed for the graveyard.

Yogi Gupta

Posted at 10:36 AM on April 11, 2014

I agree Randy should be out, he was not a good judge and he is not a good mentor. I think the judges should also serve as mentors on a rotational basis. Every week, one judge should mentor all the contestants and sit out as a judge.

Shellie Robertson

Posted at 1:51 AM on April 11, 2014

This is the worst American Idol season….Nobody is up to the level of being the next American Idol…c’mon people… compare!!!! It is so sad that this season shows…lack of luster to give us something to hope for… a new talent a new generation…..huh… I feel cheated in watching the show….where’s Simon now??? Have you ever look back on those starting days of AI?….

nosforatu

Posted at 1:13 AM on April 11, 2014

Maylaya is wack no stage pressence

Carrie Sharp

Posted at 12:25 AM on April 11, 2014

I feel American got it right. As far as the talent goes this year it should be an all male finale. Caleb is by far the most talented vocally and in stage presence.

TBoo

Posted at 12:19 AM on April 11, 2014

I’ve always like Malaya personally, but did anyone not hear the inconsistencies in her vocals last night? The studio version of the song she sang last night is great, but her live performance was not her best. She was off key quite a bit. She has a wonderful personality and she is a good singer, but I think she needs more time and more practice before she can WIN American Idol. I don’t think she would have won this season anyway; not with Caleb killing it week after week. I did see the look on JLo’s face, but c’mon she’s JLo…surely she has many connections and hopefully she can mentor Malaya and possibly get her a record deal. I think Malaya will be successful despite leaving Idol tonight.

campbell19

Posted at 12:01 AM on April 11, 2014

I personally thought she should be the next to go. Or one of them. She definitely wasn’t going to win. She has a beautiful voice, but 8th ain’t bad!!!! What a cutie!

Haley

Posted at 11:52 PM on April 10, 2014

Damn phone… Malaya* 10000x* & pissed*

Haley

Posted at 11:49 PM on April 10, 2014

Malaga could Sing, but I never cared for the Sound of her voice… but she was 100 00 better than Sam!!!! I’m so passed they used the dawn save on him. American Idol needs better judges. As much as I love JLo, they’re just way too stupid to be judging. -.-

Mister Baja

Posted at 11:28 PM on April 10, 2014

so she will quit anyway!!

CB

Posted at 11:16 PM on April 10, 2014

I agree with you, Malaya is a true American Idol, a rare gem.

Mar

Posted at 10:53 PM on April 10, 2014

Think about what American Idol is. No one with any verve or taste takes it seriously. It’s American commercial schlock. Malaya is an unpolished gem. I think Harry Connick, Jr. would sponsor her talent in a minute. (Unlike the likely winner, Ms. “Irene,” a next -door neighbor, geographically, speaking, who was created to be commercialized.)

campbell19

Posted at 12:05 AM on April 11, 2014

But Ms. Irene has the better voice..bottom line. Malaya will definitely find her fame! Such a cutie.

BAM SHIELDZ

Posted at 9:53 PM on April 10, 2014

COMPLETE JOKE!!!!

It was OBVIOUS from the moment malaya name was called, that the judge’s knew she was going home & REGRETTED the save from last week (UHHHH, WASTE)”the look on Keith & Jennifer faces said it all..

I PROMISE TO GOD!!’ Something told me the judge’s would regret last week save , I some how knew malaya would be eliminated..

Its just BS, there aren’t many, and im so serious..there aren’t many contestants who can keep viewers WATCHING & ANTICIPATING their performance..besides , maybe Caleb..

Im just DONE w/ American Idol

Dr, Ellen

Posted at 10:39 PM on April 10, 2014

Malaya is a doll, but hardly the most talented in the group. Though I appreciate the disappointment from some that Sam got the save last week, he too is very young, and has certainly demonstrated considerably more growth than Malaya. Personally, I don’t know how CJ keeps staying. He shouldn’t have made the top ten.

campbell19

Posted at 12:12 AM on April 11, 2014

Couldn’t have said it better!!! Every word!

bruce