‘HIMYM': Fan-Made Alternate Ending Will Make You Happy — Watch

Wed, April 2, 2014 11:59am EDT by 20 Comments

Fans of ‘How I Met Your Mother’ — YouTube has got your back. If you want to pretend that the real ending never happened, click through to watch the fan-made alternate ending that toootally ignores the fact that Ted (Josh Radnor) ended up with Robin (Cobie Smulders).

For those still upset over the March 31 series finale of How I Met Your Mother, a fan has re-cut the ending to ignore the one that many felt not only cheapened the relationship between Ted (Josh Radnor) and the mother, Tracy (Cristin Milioti), but also the relationship between Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Cobie Smulders). Even if you’re not angry about the real ending, click through to watch, anyway! Aren’t you kind of missing HIMYM from your lives already?

‘How I Met Your Mother': Fan-Made Alternate Ending Cuts Out Controversial Finale

The fan-made alternate ending shows Ted meeting Tracy on that rainy train platform under the yellow umbrella, saying, “and that, kids, is how I met your mother,” and fading to black. No Robin & Ted, no death of the mother.

‘How I Met Your Mother’: Fans Petition To Change The Ending

Cutting out the final 2-3 minutes totally changes the real ending of How I Met Your Mother, which shocked pretty much the entire fanbase, and angered and alienated many. We weren’t too mad about it over here at HollywoodLife.com, but everyone’s concerns are totally valid.

After all, fans who have been tuning in since the beginning deserve to have an ending they can be happy about, but really, with a fanbase this huge, can creators Carter Bays and Carter Thomas really have made everybody happy?

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Fans: There’s Always Fanon!

We hear you: Barney was kind of dealt a bad hand by having his character regress to his partying ways after his divorce from Robin, and it may have seemed as if the relationship between Tracy and Ted was cheapened by having him end up with Robin. Many are also upset by the fact that such a focus was placed on Barney and Robin’s relationship, only for their marriage — that we’ve spent the whole season watching unfold — crumble.

Would it have been better to watch a whole season of watching them break up? Or a whole season of watching Tracy fade away before her death? There are a million ways that the ending could have been written, and for people who are unhappy with how the official ending turned out? Never forget, TV fans: where canon has failed you, there’s always fanon. (We happen to live in a universe where Crystal Reed‘s character Allison Argent was never killed off of Teen Wolf. And there’s nothing wrong with that.)

What did you think of the alternate ending, HollywoodLifers? Better or worse than the real one? Will you be retreating into fanworks to pretend that the HIMYM finale never happened?

– Amanda Michelle Steiner

More ‘How I Met Your Mother':

1. ‘HIMYM’ Series Finale: Ted Ended Up With The Right Person
  2. ‘HIMYM’ Star David Henrie On The Finale: It Ended How It Should Have
  3. ‘HIMYM’ Series Finale: Does The Mother Die?

SarahSizzle

Posted at 9:18 PM on April 3, 2014

Seriously thought it should have ended this way, but this was just one of the many fatal flaws here – Check out this open letter to the creators! Sums it up in an interesting fashion! https://medium.com/p/61b2431a73ae

D

Posted at 4:12 PM on April 3, 2014

It’s ridiculous I think to want to change the finale. It might not have fitted for everyone, but the show is artistic property of the writers/producers and the fans enjoyed watching it.

And I personally found the ending to be absolutely fitting.

Also (spoiler) just because Ted and Robin are more or less together at the end of the series does not mean that they are married or it stays that way.

It’s simply a metaphor on the strange ways of live.

Everyone who wanted a “happy ending” should have watched another show.
I would have been disappointed if the ending would have been like: “and that’s how I met your mother” *mother walks in* and cakes and apple pie and cliche….

Also, if you look at the comments by the writers that the finale was planned since season 1 and if you look at the hints in the series, evaluate the personalities and their roles, then you end up with the conclusion that one should have seen it coming if you are a fan.

The story is not about the mother after all, neither is it about Robin or even about Ted. It’s about life. And in life everything always works out the way you want it to be.

(and for all saying Ted did not love the mother, he DID, and he and Robin were not having those feelings for almost a DECADE (7 years happy with the mother, 6 years after she died), so “moving on” is not that far of a thought, and Robin as permanent constant in Teds life is not such a surprising choice either.

Ted got what he wanted. He even got more what he wanted. He met the perfect girl, had kids and is together with someone in the end.

Sure there was pain – rejections, failed relationships, heartbreaks, the death of the mother.
But then again, this is what the series was about. The queer ways of life.

naman

Posted at 7:46 AM on April 3, 2014

the show was the best show i ever saw and i seriously thank carter bays and craig thomas for this ending was just an episode all we should do is cherish the 9 awesome years we had we with them we learned we cried we laughed with them we cant be mad on them they were our imaginary family who we’ll always love
a true fan ♥

Dan (@chickenfried234)

Posted at 11:24 PM on April 2, 2014

Of course they couldn’t please everyone. But they could’ve tried to please most of them.

Olonzo

Posted at 11:08 PM on April 2, 2014

I was a die hard HIMYM fan and the series finale kind of ruined some of the journey of finding the mother for me. But this video made me so happy!

jJTP

Posted at 10:22 PM on April 2, 2014

To the person who made this: Bless you…you are doing the Lord’s work! Lol..,

It wasnt so much that the mother died but how flippant ted and the kids seemed. If we learned she died, and then ended on the cutaway to them together on the train platform, it would have been heartbreaking, but in a more poignant way, i think.

amateurfashiongirl

Posted at 6:04 AM on April 3, 2014

Totally agreed.. They should have ended the episode after the train station meeting right away…I can accept the fact that the mother died eventually, but to tell the story of their mother to the kids just to use it as an excuse to date Robin again was really a cheap trick used by the writers…

D

Posted at 4:16 PM on April 3, 2014

It was no excuse. But I can see why it comes across that way. Let’s say it that way (that is my opinion): I think they should have started the “endgame”, the “final story” about 4 episodes earlier.
That way they would have had enough time to actually make it not feel rushed. We basically went from one moment with the mother and all to the other moment where he stands at Robins door. It was rushed in terms of feeling. The audience did not get any feeling of the TIME that was between those events. I think would they have started earlier and fleshed out the whole year-gaps a little bit more, not jumping so fast between different scenes at different times, then a lot more fans would have liked it.

I myself did like it though.

Shinta Haryani

Posted at 9:52 PM on April 2, 2014

This ending is waaaaaaay better than the real one.. We just dont waste a full season of wedding weekend just to be destroyed in an episode !!!

lulu

Posted at 9:08 PM on April 2, 2014

After watching the 8th season the ending seems fitting. Ted seriously loved Robin to the point that he was going to move to Chicago. You can’t forget that.

joyce

Posted at 7:40 AM on April 6, 2014

Yes lulu. But don’t forget how Ted is usually delulu in most of his love interests, not only Robin.

Alexis

Posted at 8:50 PM on April 2, 2014

I liked the YouTube alternate ending. I felt the real one. sucked

Get over it

Posted at 6:19 PM on April 2, 2014

The finale was fine. We all had to know that there would be a twist, so how else would you have wanted it? Oh right.

Yes, there are issues with the show and its finale, but I think the final minutes are the least of them. If anything, the twist ending may even have been the best part even despite certain implications.

Peter

Posted at 5:01 PM on April 2, 2014

This ending is a mundane ‘happy ever after’ and the epitome of a cliche. I loved the real ending.

CB

Posted at 4:13 PM on April 2, 2014

Also, what no one really mentions, is that we’re supposed to believe that Robin goes and stays single for 14 years? Why does Robin have to wait for her happy ending?

I mean, from a career-oriented female, Robin was the one I most related to, and I feel she kind of just gets screwed in this whole thing.

Jimmy

Posted at 11:22 PM on April 2, 2014

I don’t think we’re suppose to believe that. Whatever happened throughout the years in between is up to you to decide as the writers never explicitly say whether or not she remained single. For me, I think it’s highly likely that Robin dated more men after Barney as she is extremely desirable. Ted also mentions at one point that Robin was never alone. I think that even though she wasn’t with the group in the future, Robin is just the type of person that others around her have a tendency to care deeply for just because of who she is and the kind of girl that guys fall head over heels for. I think maybe when Ted asked her out at the finale, she just happened to be single.
And Robin didn’t have to wait for her happy ending. She got her dream of becoming a big news anchor who travels the world and experiences everything. Ending up with Ted at the end, after achieving everything she ever wanted to, is the cherry on top of her happy ending. I think the timing is appropriate because her career had always been her biggest priority, and she finally got what she wanted after having to climb so far. She couldn’t have done it if she settled down with Ted earlier. This is just what I think though, I could be wrong, but I’d like to think that every character got what they wanted the most, even though it is cliche.

CB

Posted at 5:43 PM on April 3, 2014

I took the ‘she was never alone’ to mean her dogs…

But also, how was she able to keep all her dogs if she was traveling all the time?

Susy

Posted at 3:57 PM on April 2, 2014

This is how it should have ended! HIMYM really dropped the ball on Monday.

Jo

Posted at 1:47 PM on April 2, 2014

That would have been the perfect ending.

Laila Kaasik