‘HIMYM’ Series Finale: Does The Mother Die?

Mon, March 31, 2014 9:42pm EDT by 120 Comments 19,879 Article Views

Ted finally met The Mother in the legen — the wait is over — dary ‘HIMYM’ series finale on March 31. But that’s not all — fans also found out the shocking fate of Ted’s future wife after it was hinted that she may have actually been dead the entire time. Are YOU happy with how the nine-season-long saga ended?

It’s the end of an era. The long-awaited series finale of How I Met Your Mother aired on March 31 and it was filled with laughter, tears and multiple shocking twists! In short, it was everything we dreamed it would be and more. Spoiler alert! If you haven’t seen the final episode of HIMYM, do yourself a favor and stop reading now.

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Finale — Does The Mother Die In Final Episode?

What a season it has been! We’ve watched and waited — sometimes not so patiently — as Marshall (Jason Segel), Lily (Alyson Hannigan), Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Cobie Smulders) (pretty much everyone BUT Ted) met The Mother (Cristin Milioti). But on tonight’s finale, the moment we’ve all been waiting for was finally unveiled. After nine years of bad dates, blue horn red herrings, and left-at-the-alter blues, Ted (Josh Radnor) finally met the woman of his dreams, and it was love at first sight!

‘HIMYM’ Series Finale: Fans React To Shocking Ending On Twitter

It really seemed like every episode of HIMYM‘s nine-season run was leading up to the fated, magical moment when Ted and The Mother finally met under THE yellow umbrella at the train stop after Barney and Robin’s wedding.

Ted later told his children that he had a revelation when he first met their mother: “I have to love this woman as much as I can for as long as I can and I can never stop loving her, not even for a second.” He said he carried that moment with him every day — and especially when she got sick.

Yes, we’re sorry to say that the shocking theory that The Mother was actually dead by the time Ted told their kids the story of their first meeting was in fact true. The Mother  — whose name was revealed to be Tracy McConnell — really did get sick and tragically die. We’re still picking up the pieces of our broken hearts here at HollywoodLife.com. But never fear — HIMYM wouldn’t be HIMYM without surprising its loyal fans one last time — or six or seven last times.

‘HIMYM’ Series Finale: Ted Ends Up With [Spoiler]

If the past nine years of Ted’s epic HIMYM story seemed long for us, imagine how his poor kids must have felt. When Ted finally wrapped up his almost decade-long saga with the words, “And that, kids, is how I met your mother,” they were just as suspicious as we were. Why would you have told us about all this other stuff if it was really just the story of how you met our mother, they reasonably asked.

And that’s when the truth hit us like a blue horn to the head. Ted may have loved Tracy deeply but the real love of his life was right under his — and our — nose all along.

‘HIMYM’ Series Finale: Ted Ended Up With The Right Person

“This is a story about how you’re totally in love with Aunt Robin and you want to ask her out,” Ted’s daughter, Penny, exclaimed.

That’s right, HIMYM fans. Ted ends up with Robin. Robin, the one who he loved from day one. Robin, who was happily married to Barney for all of three years before getting divorced (another shocking reveal in the finale).

‘How I Met Your Mother’: Shocking Final Scene Filmed 9 Years Ago

Ted tried to deny it but the kids said they were totally cool with their dad moving on (way cooler than we are right now). “Mom’s been gone for six years now,” Penny revealed. “It’s time.”

While we were busy picking up our jaws off the floor, Ted made his way over to Robin’s apartment, and after nine years of long-winded babbling, he said everything he needed to say without uttering a single syllable. Robin looked out her window, and there was Ted, standing in the street and holding up the blue french horn that he had stolen for her in the very first episode of HIMYM. And that, folks, is how Ted finally got his happy ending.

HollywoodLifers, are YOU happy with the series finale of HIMYM? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

– Tierney McAfee

More ‘How I Met Your Mother’ News:

1. ‘How I Met Your Mother’ Mother May Be Dead — Fans React
  2. ‘HIMYM’: Exes Invade Ted & Robin’s Romantic Trip Down Memory Lane
  3. ‘HIMYM’: The Mother Reveals How She Met Ted On 200th Episode

RM Ro

Posted at 4:00 AM on September 29, 2014

SOOOOO Disappointed! I wish the last season would’ve been about Ted getting to know The Mother and her NOT DYING! Like other’s said, she was forgotten too quickly. Honestly I never liked Robin. I sure would not have encouraged my dad to go after her. RIP sweet The Mother.

Craig Ashford

Posted at 4:09 PM on September 19, 2014

I think that ted is a git he told that stupid blue french hone to his friends x-wife he shouldn’t have listened to his kids and left robin to herself to should herself out

Audrey Jones

Posted at 6:44 PM on July 17, 2014

The poor mother. Even the kids seem to have forgotten her already, ” she is barely in your story! And she’s gone 6 years ago, it’s time!” Awful, tasteless and cruel. All this hard work to make us think that everything happens for a reason, that it will all come into place and booom! Nonsense! So somewhere deep inside Ted was still into Robin all these years, sorry but it feels wrong and terribly sad for The Mother. She was so sweet, so trustful, not even jealous of Robin. Not sure she loves watching this from heaven… Nothing came into place. They should have called it How I lost my time with your mother. Ggrrrrrrr

Brett

Posted at 11:57 PM on May 11, 2014

A great ending that many fans since day one are happy with I did think it was rushed but I always liked ted and robin together and didn’t really find the actual mother that great- plus ted was able to have kids ( robin couldn’t get pregnant ) I miss how I met your mother and still enjoy watching the old episodes on netflix

Grebi

Posted at 9:14 AM on April 12, 2014

Is it 100% certain that the mother is dead?

“Mom’s been gone for six years now,” This can also mean that she only left them (divorced Ted)…what if there is an open ending?

wow

Posted at 7:26 AM on September 3, 2014

Dude she was suffering from a illness.

Scott

Posted at 10:37 PM on April 9, 2014

I hated it the first time I watched it. I just watched it again and I loved it. Does that make sense?

pena

Posted at 9:29 AM on April 7, 2014

its very simple: all the romantic people like me, loved the finale…the other ones dont

JasonG

Posted at 8:05 PM on April 7, 2014

10/10. Would tell at parties if I went to them.

thomas

Posted at 7:54 PM on May 9, 2014

I preferred the mother than robin in the end :P

Jan Perry

Posted at 8:30 PM on April 5, 2014

No. It left questions. Barney and Robin had more chemistry then Ted and Robin. The scene filmed 9 years ago was a cop out to the relationship that was focused on. Both Ted and Barney’s. It was kind of gross. All the women Barney slept with, then slept with Robin, now Ted’s happy ending is sleeping with Barney’s group of women by proxy? Not the fairy tale ending had in mind. The mother meant nothing, wasn’t the search for the woman to share life and have kids with the plan? Guess not. Don’t I feel the fool. If you had to kill her, was there no one else to put him with? Robin became selfish and shallow as she punished Lilly for her feelings that come and go for Ted. Ted turned out to be a jerk, so I guess the ending is correct, they deserve each other. Eh, it’s only a show and nothing can change the status of crappiest ending ever. It’s more the fans that get ticked off at other fans for displaying their feelings about the show while they spew their opinion that bothers me. I respect everyone’s opinion and have the power to not give a crap when people say things about my opinion. So much that I don’t respond or care about bashing. There’s 2 opinions to this ending, like, hate. 3 if you include I don’t care. It’s not worth arguing. Certainly doesn’t change anyone’s life, I hope not. But it has caused fights anyway. If it changes how you feel about the series, ignore the umpteen times it is aired on syndication and act like ‘Ted and Robin who?’ It’s like every other series that ended. 10 or so years from now, some will watch for nostalgia and get upset all over again. Lol present company included. Ted was ruined for me in mere minutes. I disliked Robin years ago except when she brought out the good in Barney.

Simone

Posted at 1:20 PM on April 2, 2014

I love(d) HIMYM all the past nine years. But these last episodes were such a let down! This show is all about love, and we have waited nine years for Ted to finally find what he’s been looking for. When he met Tracy(the mother) under the umbrella, I started crying, my heart skipped beats, it was so amazing. All that just to kill her off?! That really broke my heart.
And to break up Barney and Robin once again. Why spend s much time getting them together just to let them divorce one episode after they get married. I thought Barney had grown so much the past seasons just to change him back to the man he was in season 1 in a heart beat.
No this is not how it should end! I feel betrayed in some way. Ted were supposed to have found the love of his life for the rest of his life. Robin is not that person. I feel sad, and from now on when I watch the final episode I will end it when Ted and Tracy meet under the yellow umbrella!
I feel that my believe in love has died a little after watching the last episodes… I know it’s harsh, but I was so into this show for so many years!

max

Posted at 5:28 PM on April 2, 2014

but you dont understand they all found love in the end braney had his daughter ted has his children and is with robin and tracy spent the rest of her life with ted where they were happy so in the end everyone was happy. what else do you want?

Stabbed in the chest

Posted at 9:31 AM on April 3, 2014

totally agree! the story of how destiny made that and The mother, together was full small things, the umbrella, the T.S carving , the yellow bus, the lesson he teach, a million things that kept us watching feeling the moment Ted will meet her will be leneg- and we waited for nine years!- dary! it was meant to be legendary! he waited his whole life to meet the one who was a perfect match for him, the one who was truly and deeply right for him. was their marriage just a thing so Ted can put his feeling for Robin on hold because she just got married to a great friend and one heck of a guy? or is Robin a second prize after losing someone so perfect for him that was the love of his life which destiny brought crashing through the door ?

and that heck of a guy mention before? the one who made such a way from being a lose headed guy with no sense of morality nor any faithfulness nay, loyalty! to this should be AWESOME husband ,the guy chasing down his dream in a way non of us would ever do, who confront his on dad about being that” stupid, boring suburban dad ” because he couldn’t be one for him, who gave up a “playbook” which was more than a way life than a book, who vowed not to lie, who became a full grown man in love with a woman he should be with. just to make him go back on his premature way?! and that heart warming speech he gave to his daughter? that one who made us miss the wedding night Barney? well kids that the guy we already got. of course the old Barney could have some random woman (No.31) pregnant and would had change old Barney , but not the guy who brought a ring bear!

And poor Robin, making her suffer for 14 years until she got her should be The One? really they made a whole season of why she and Ted shouldn’t be together and why she really needs to be with Barney and we were all cheering for that, because we got it. really guys??

I get it, when they filmed those kids 6 years (or what ever time ago) for that clip they didn’t know how the show will turn up too, and yes I get that if you made this ending somewhere around the season where Barney and Robin broke up in the first place than sure, that could worked, but not after the last two seasons. not a chance in hell. I feel betrayed!

DWTS

Posted at 12:10 PM on April 2, 2014

Sorry, a let down. It was robin all along. Why have her marry Barney. I liked the character Barney and hoped he found his perfect woman in the end. Not divorce Robin. What a let down. I guessed that the mom was dead in season 1.

JasonG

Posted at 12:51 PM on April 2, 2014

Ummm, Barney DID meet his perfect woman in the end. Ellie.

Raymond Z.

Posted at 3:03 AM on April 2, 2014

Marshall and Lily are happily married, Barney and Robin should have been happily married, Ted and Tracy should have spent the rest of their lives together…. :( :( I’m crying and I don’t know what to believe in anymore. :( :( *sob sob sob*

Sam

Posted at 10:37 AM on April 2, 2014

Believe you should look at yourself in the mirror. These aren’t real people.

Vozd

Posted at 6:51 PM on April 1, 2014

I just got pαid $6784 working off my lαptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $9k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. >>>>jobs29(.com)

ruthmoseley

Posted at 6:36 PM on April 1, 2014

what Connie implied I’m surprised that a stay at home mom can profit $9440 in one month on the computer . blog here

>>>>>>>> WWW.B­­A­­­Y­­­­9­­­­­1.C­O­M

max

Posted at 5:38 PM on April 1, 2014

STOP BEING OVER DRAMATIC it was a good ending all you people are looking for is a reason to complain and i think that is pretty sad…

Emin

Posted at 7:45 AM on April 2, 2014

F you we are not looking for reason to complain..

Ojalatero

Posted at 5:17 PM on April 1, 2014

I loved the final episode! It was always about robin since episode one ! Their paths parted each a brilliant story : her an accomplished journalist anchor traveling the world . Him a father of two gifts given to him by a loving wife – his equal in many ways two romantics deeply on love . Tragedy however struck . ” Its time dad” is proof that Ted and Tracy were great patents . But life goes on and after mourning six years raising his kids alone how better two have two best friends live the rest of their lives together sharing their personal highs and lows

Jeff

Posted at 5:10 PM on April 1, 2014

I cried, but afterwards I thought about and realized the kids were better listeners than I was and they found out that Ted met Robin in the first episode and It did surprise me a lot more with the death of The Mom and Ted going with Robin. Barney finally settled down in the end.

Anna

Posted at 4:16 PM on April 1, 2014

I think It was a perfect ending. I didn’t feel it as soon as I finished watching it but once you take the time and think about it, you start to accept it.
The show has always had its twists and its only logical that the finale also has a major twist. The brilliant writing is what kept me interested in this show to begin with.
I love how they joined the lines at the end.
The mother ended up with her love, Max, in heaven.
Ted and Robin. And Barney finally found the one girl he can say his phrase to and truly mean it.
And Robin and Barney were too similar for their marriage or their relationship to workout. This has been proven in the earlier seasons.
And of course, Lily and Marshall were always perfect.

The one thing I didn’t like was how in the last episode, Ted says the whole thing about how he’ll always love the mother, every second and never stop. That kinda proved to be wrong in the end.

Lou

Posted at 6:58 PM on April 1, 2014

There are many kinds of love other than romantic love…

Roo

Posted at 3:51 PM on April 1, 2014

This made me want to punch Barney in the throat! How annoying was that!

Bru

Posted at 3:07 PM on April 1, 2014

I absolutely hated it! This finale completely ruined the entire show for me. It feels like all this time we were waiting for Ted´s epic love, a woman who was his soulmate in every sense of the word, who would give him his happy ending at last, just to discover at the end she was just a rebound for Robin! Robin, who was completely in love with Barney for at least the last two seasons, marrying the guy in the entire nineth season and in 2 seconds at the last episode everything falls apart without a decent explanation, just so she could end up with Ted. This just diminishes the caracters’ personalities, if they can change their minds so easily like that.

MosbyHimself

Posted at 2:50 PM on April 1, 2014

TM: The Mother, Ted Mosby, Tracy McConnell. TOO MUCH! I love how the show connects literally everything!

I wonder if How I Met Your Dad will be about Barney’s Daughter’s Mother. We never got to see who she was..

Jan Perry

Posted at 8:40 PM on April 5, 2014

The characters for how I met your dad are introduced in the finale. I’m guessing the 4 guys in the booth behind them were the cast. The 1’s Marhall spoke too. I know the mom get’s a divorce, then looks for the dad. Hope they don’t drag her back to the ex at the end and kill the dad off

Amanda

Posted at 12:36 PM on April 1, 2014

Wonderful finale!! The ones who are complaining about the slow buildup and quick twist should look back at what the liked about the series in the first place….The final play? The buildup on that was a long time and the twist very abrupt. That’s how and why this show works! Barney finally found what made him whole. I never felt “settled” about his and Robin’s marriage…I didn’t want it to fail, but I didn’t feel like that was how it should end. They found a way to end the show with closure but without it being cheesy and predictable. We all knew Ted should be with Robin from day 1…that’s why they let her marry Barney. They had to throw us off the trail of hope that she and Ted MAY just end up together after all. I think the writers did a beautiful job!

Bernardo

Posted at 1:04 PM on April 1, 2014

I think there was just one thing missing.
Marshal getting his 5 bucks bet money from Lily
thats my only regret.

Frey

Posted at 3:48 PM on April 1, 2014

That happened at the bar scene in the finale. If you watch, Marshall takes out a folded bill and hands it over to Lilly….

Jan Perry

Posted at 8:45 PM on April 5, 2014

I agree to an extent. Pushing Barney and Robin was rough, Ted and Barney both went back and forth with Robin. The thing being, she didn’t. Want to marry Ted and did with Barney, for an entire season. But it’s a show, it’s over. On to the next series. Anyone like fwbl’s yet?