‘The Good Wife': Shocking Death & Why The Actor Chose To Leave

Mon, March 24, 2014 11:32am EST by 81 Comments
Will Gardner Shot Dead The Good Wife
Courtesy of CBS

mato

Posted at 6:00 AM on October 20, 2014

I think was good, it was shocking, I believe he wanted to move immediately there was no time to do the similar thing like Anthony Edwards did in ER.

Vilma

Posted at 2:12 PM on September 1, 2014

yo pense lo mismo, me quiero moriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir
si que sea nada mas que una pesadilla

mairia

Posted at 1:55 AM on July 25, 2014

I thought it was supposed to be a nightmare Alicia had, I’m still in shock!!

golf swing tips

Posted at 3:54 PM on May 16, 2014

Howdy,
Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to look it over.
I’m loving the information! Great blog

BRIDGET edwards

Posted at 11:33 AM on May 12, 2014

The chemistry between Will and Alicia is what kept me watching ,so so disappointed he is no longer there.Watch the ratings people!!!!!

CONNIE BORELLI

Posted at 10:32 AM on April 23, 2014

WE NOW HAVE ACCEPTED THE DEATH NOW HOW LONG WILL WE HAVE TO ENDURE THE DEPRESSED ALICIA THIS SHOW HAS BECOME A LITTLE BORING AS FAR AS MOVING ON TO A UPDATED SERIES THE HUSBAND AND KIDS NEED TO BE A MORE PREDOMINATE PART AND GIVE A LITTLE MORE REALISTIC SHOW <3

Oblomov (@Deafbutnotdumb)

Posted at 11:24 AM on April 19, 2014

Creative writing, brilliant.. the man wants out, so out he goes… chance of a return, Zilch.. Gives the writers greater scope to create another character, who will Diane’s partner be now?
Within the evolution of the series it allows a much greater development of the story line, the characters… if the whole series is considered, the characters have evolved, matured, and changed from the very beginning…. the long term plans, the constant movement is part of the series attraction.

key element can be recalled and developed, greater freedom with movement of characters… have greater trust in the writers, they have dona a fabulous job so far, let’s not the attraction of the series.

bella

Posted at 9:38 PM on April 13, 2014

I dont think that he wanted to leave the show because it is doing real good , unless he was offered a better job this we will see. Maybe its personal or he asked for more money and they just wouldnt give it to him what I do know is that to executives actors are like tissue paper they are used then thrown away. I will miss seeing Will and my heart still aches if I could, Id give him a hug and tell him that he will be greatly missed.

Georgia Kelley

Posted at 4:02 PM on April 3, 2014

Good Grief, they could have just let Will Gardner leave and perhaps return at a later date.

Deb

Posted at 9:57 PM on April 1, 2014

Still in shock over Will’s murder. I never saw it coming. Terrible ending for one of the most important characters on this show. If this was NOT Josh’s own decision to leave, then shame on the writers, directors & producers who decided to knock him off and write him out. I don’t think any of the actors or actresses are strong enough to be able to pull this off without him. I am so upset by this & no more interest in watching the show anymore.

sheryl

Posted at 8:15 AM on April 2, 2014

It was his decision to leave because he wanted more money :( and they wouldn’t give it to him :(

susan

Posted at 8:47 AM on April 4, 2014

I wonder if some of you people watch other TV or follow any other social media at all. Josh Charles left on his own accord; in fact he wanted last year to be his final season but agreed to be “offed” this year. The best decision, to end his life, was the optimum for the show. If they kept him at another firm, or in a different state, it would have been too convenient to bring him back whenever. Kudos to all involved for having the balls to come to the right decision. All you crybabies need to get over it!!!

mato

Posted at 6:05 AM on October 20, 2014

the only one comment which make sense !

Richard Babigian

Posted at 10:56 AM on March 31, 2014

Should have paid him what he wanted. He was worth it to the show. HE was “the firm”, HE was the human connection to the fans. HE made the Alicia, Diane, Kalinda and all the other significant characters relevant to the story telling and, ultimately; to the fans of the show. I can’t imagine the show ever being as alluring as before. Sorry it had to come to this.

Maria

Posted at 12:31 PM on March 30, 2014

This was a terrible way to have him go. Bad for the show. I can’t imagine the show being any good after this, the tension between will and Alicia and the friendship between Will and Diane were integral to the show. Terrible choice. Makes me not want to watch anymore

JustGone

Posted at 6:39 AM on March 30, 2014

Never saw this coming and as a PTSD survivor it was a real setback. So many other characters in the show come and go… There could have been a thousand other endings. The writers took the easy way out. Shame on them. We won’t be watching this crap anymore.

Carrie Bell

Posted at 5:37 PM on March 28, 2014

I was seriously upset about his dead. I’m worried that his absence will have a terrible effect on the show, even though Michael J. Fox, who I love, is his replacement. We’ll see bit this may have been fatal to the show.

Charlotte M.

Posted at 1:40 AM on March 28, 2014

I loved his character. One of my favorite shows. The chemistry amongst all the actors is powerful. Please, please, please do not let Michael J. Fox become a regular!

Molly

Posted at 10:30 PM on April 13, 2014

I couldn’t agree more. I can’t stand MJ Fox’s character

CONNIE BORELLI

Posted at 10:35 AM on April 23, 2014

I CAN’T HELP BUT AGREE GOTTA COME UP WITH A CHARMER WITH STEEL

cel

Posted at 12:26 AM on March 28, 2014

I’m still crying! So shocking. Wasn’t quite ready for this one. Gosh he will be missed! If you’re gonna go, you may as well go on top! #ravensfansgohard

Linda Frisard

Posted at 11:20 PM on March 26, 2014

Wow! Totally shocked!! Why is killing off characters the only way writers know how to write off our favorites?! They should get more creative. And the way the did it.. Although it was the actor’s decision to leave, it could have been written better. And if you just had to kill him off, should have had a little more closure between him and Alicia first. Truly not sure I “will” continue to watch. He’s the show. This is how it began – it’s Lockhart and Gardner! Gardner is one of the fundamental roles. He introduced us to Alicia. He came first. This is a bad decision.

Also, Josh Charles doesn’t say why he was ready to leave. There’s more to the story. An actor doesn’t just decide to part ways from an extremely hit show, that he is still a major character and only getting better, after only 5 years. This is sad. And I am still in complete shock!

Sheryl

Posted at 8:52 PM on March 26, 2014

I just started watching this show this season and it sucks that Will was shot and killed! I am still in shock and think this sucks, I loved this show and didn’t get to watch the first 3 seasons yet and I feel like I was cheated!!!! Why Josh?? come back!! and I love Michael J Fox, but he has some big shoes to fill in on this show :( Wow that’s all I can say! Poor Julianna/Alicia I can’t imagine how she feels in real life, just pray the show don’t sink now :(

rebecca

Posted at 6:12 PM on March 26, 2014

I cant believe it! I was totally shocked by Wills death. I really looked forward to seeing Will and Alicia get back together. The show will not be the same.

Debby

Posted at 1:49 PM on March 26, 2014

I really enjoyed the chemistry between Will and Alicia, I think it made the show interesting and made you want to return to it the next week. I will miss Will terribly. I hope the writers have a great storyline to fall back on because losing Will could be the beginning of the end. I cried through the ending. I wish the writers had chosen a different way to discontinue his character. I wish Josh Charles all the best in whatever he does. He has the right to move on as he wishes but I think he may have made a collossal mistake! :(