‘American Idol': Harry Connick Jr. Tells MK Nobilette To ‘Never Give Up’

Fri, March 21, 2014 9:36am EST by 12 Comments
Harry Connick Jr. Advice MK Nobilette American Idol
Courtesy of FOX

Lee

Posted at 3:25 AM on March 23, 2014

The judges were unfair from the start, they tried to force MK into acting like an extrovert onstage. But they let anyone else off the hook, like Alex. He always stands still and just sings with his guitar, does nothing else. The judges are fine with that. But they kept saying that MK “wasn’t connecting”. Huge hypocrisy !
Had they just left her alone MK would have warmed up on her own but theymade an big issue of it and they undermined her. It’s OK if Alex or any other singer just stands there and sings and does nothing else, but they wouldn’t let MK just sing. No, they kept bugging her and she ended up taking on too much while trying to sing. Because she’s an introvert it was likely why she flubbed her lines. Nothing wrong with shyness many great singers are shy onstage.

Bob Dylan. Did he ever run around onstage and worry about “connecting” ? No he pretty much ignored the audience. It didn’t hurt his career, Many singers are just introverted.

The current trend in the music industry is unfortunately very phoney and over the top like a circus- like the garbage act that Jennifer Lopez did the same night that MK was booted. Now Lopez was pleased with herself that night on Idol but, ??? I mean that act she did was embarrassing. She actually displayed her crotch to the audience. Yet they couldn’t tolerate a shy singer. I’d take a shy singer any day, over the sleaze of someone like Lopez. Who cares if a singer is shy ? You are listening to them – not rating them on how much hopping around they can do.
I really hope that someone signs MK to a label because I really want to buy her CD’s. She has the voice of an Angel.

Mayor Cadaverville (@Cadaverville)

Posted at 3:11 PM on March 22, 2014

I must say, Harry Connick Jr. is the only thing going for this show. I returned this week to watch this show after skipping a few years. I quit watching as it seemed the talent had eroded in a significant way which I believe to be primarily due to “production” reasons: By this I mean, this show seems more concerned about “stories of the contestants” and filling “quotas to inspire particular demongraphics to tune in”, than on showcasing the best 10 voices in America. (If you want the latter, I would direct you to their competitor show (I don’t need to name it as I’m sure everyone knows what I mean). Watching this weeks episode, it was refreshing to see 1 Judge actually critique the contestants in a fair and factual way based on their performance and not their personality. To be brutally honest, there is only 1 contestant this year worthy of the title “American Idol”. Any reasonable high school chorus has 10 people that could hang with the rest of these folks despite (my personal opinion) they are all very likeable (particularly Majesty).

Cindy Lou

Posted at 7:03 PM on March 21, 2014

I am a middle-aged mom of three and had never really watched American Idol until I caught MK’s first or second performance. I was hooked and watched every episode since. I admire all the contestants but MK stood out to me. Her heartfelt songs, voice, and her individuality were incredible. Her composure last night after being eliminated was inspirational. Her professionalism when speaking about Harry Connick Jr was classy and wise beyond her years. I wish her all the best and hope to see her great success in the future.

Leo

Posted at 3:24 AM on March 23, 2014

Very well said. Connick is total loser ——-

Deborah Newman

Posted at 6:02 PM on March 21, 2014

First of all, MK could have been the next American Idol!!!! I have been watching the show for 14 yes. I could pick out the winners from their auditions. “Harry you maid a bad decision to let her go.” You bring her back!!!

Kristie R

Posted at 7:40 PM on March 21, 2014

She can NOT sing. She needs voice lessons – she has the ability to sing on key which so many do not, but she doesn’t use her diaphragm for support, she doesn’t open her throat, and the result is an odd, limp, thin tone. Some voice lessons and some practice with stage presence and maybe she could win. But squeaking out flat, lifeless tunes that are supposed to be big and energetic (delivered while staring at the floor or wandering around aimlessly, looking uncomfortable) are not the hallmarks of a winning contestant.

BARB

Posted at 3:23 AM on March 23, 2014

I think Harry was jealous of MK. He’s a jerk – he refused to vote to save her. Keith pointed out that she’d just “brought the house down” but Connick had something up his butt. He’s just a Sinatra-Wannabe tribute singer.

vision

Posted at 1:16 PM on March 21, 2014

Listen when all is said and done if Caleb Johnson does not win Idol this year then that program is way of course. Let’s face it that guy can sing like it aint no body’s business. If there is still fan choice this year I would love to hear him sing “SIREN” by Pearl Jam

Janet

Posted at 11:31 AM on March 21, 2014

The wrong contestant went home last night. it wasn’t her best but at least she sang in tune. have you ever known the judges to use their save before the last 7 contestants are left.

lauren

Posted at 9:52 AM on April 12, 2014

I know right! I love mk!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristie R

Posted at 10:34 AM on March 21, 2014

I don’t want to accuse anyone of lying, but when she “came out” on the show and said she was always afraid to tell her family – PLEASE. Afraid to tell her gay moms that she was gay? It was totally contrived so she could use her back story to out stay her talent. And she did – by about a month. Far better singers went home because of her story and that’s wrong. Stop putting that stuff in, AI producers. It should be about the talent, not the story.

sansonsu

Posted at 10:56 AM on March 21, 2014

Afraid to tell her family? She never said anything like that, don’t make stuff up. She never even really talked in depth about coming out. She briefly acknowledged the fact that she was “obviously gay” ONE time and then it was never brought up again. None of the contestants in the top 10 have a strong backstory…people are voting based on the talent. It just so happens to be a really weak group of talent this year.