Jennifer Lopez Stuns On ‘American Idol’ With ‘I Luh Ya Papi’ — Watch

Thu, March 20, 2014 11:59pm EDT by 28 Comments

On the March 20 ‘American Idol’ results show, JLo showed the Top 10 how it’s done! Her live performance of ‘I Luh Ya Papi’ totally brought down the house — and she looked gorgeous while doing it, obviously.

In case you forgot that Jennifer Lopez is not just an American Idol judge but a total superstar — if so, how dare you! — JLo reminded the Idol audience on tonight’s March 20 results show that her game is as on point as ever. JLo performed along with former Idol contestants Jessica SanchezAllison Iraheta, and Pia Toscano! And you’ll never believe how Jennifer reached out to the three of them!

Jennifer Lopez Performs ‘I Luh Ya Papi’ On ‘American Idol’

Jennifer opened the performance talking about the Idol guys with her girls on a set of stairs that mimicked those that you’d see leading to a duplex in The Bronx. One of the girls said that Alex Preston was her boyfriend — we don’t think so, girl.

As for her look, Jennifer went with the style of the set and wore big earrings, her hair in a tight bun on the top of her head, and white, high-top, platform sneakers. The gold heel on her kicks were a nice touch — we want a pair! With sparkly tights paired with tiny, denim cut-offs and a hooded, fur-trimmed parka, she looked like an ice dancer from the block. We loved it.

‘American Idol’ Recap: Jennifer Lopez Cries For Eliminated Contestant

French Montana, who guests on the track, also appeared on the Idol stage to sing along with Jennifer. They both put on a fantastic performance, and it was so great to see JLo perform for all of America — and the Idol hopefuls! That’s how you put on a show, guys. On a related note, we’re pretty sure that “I Luh Ya Papi” will be stuck in our heads forever. It is crazy infectious.

Jennifer Lopez Performs With Former ‘Idols’ Jessica SanchezAllison Iraheta & Pia Toscano

When you think about how JLo would reach out to someone, you’d think that she’d speak to her assistant, who would then speak to their assistant, and so on, and so forth, but nope: Jennifer reached out to Jessica via Twitter! Jessica told HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY that JLo followed her on Twitter and then DM’ed her, asking, “Hey, can you send me your number? I want to talk to you about something.” Surprisingly, Jessica didn’t die from a heart attack and so secret plans for the “I Luh Ya Papi” performance were underway! The girls were under strict instructions not to reveal any details — and they didn’t. Because, as Pia put it, “it’s Jennifer, so you don’t want to piss her off, obviously.”

All in all, from reaching out to Jessica via Twitter to the performance on the March 20 episode of Idol, it took two weeks to set everything up. That’s a pretty quick turnaround for such an elaborate, visual performance! But hey — it’s Jennifer. She’s magical.

Jennifer Lopez: ‘I Luh Ya Papi’ Is About ‘Being Who You Are. It’s About Having A Good Time’

In an EXCLUSIVE clip obtained by HollywoodLife.com, Jennifer revealed to NUVOtv that “I Luh Ya Papi” is about “being who you are. It’s having a good time. It’s enjoying life.” This is totally reflected in the music video which is an absolute explosion of color to accompany the upbeat tempo.

‘American Idol’: Harry Connick Jr. Tells MK Nobilette To ‘Never Give Up’

If you haven’t seen the music video yet, check it out here, where we’ve also highlighted one of her amazing looks from the video — her Versace jungle print jumpsuit reminiscent of the green Versace gown she wore to the 2000 Grammy Awards! Yes — that gown. You know the one.

What did you think of Jennifer’s performance, HollywoodLifers?

– Reporting by Russ Weakland, Written by Amanda Michelle Steiner

More ‘American Idol':

1. Alex Preston Needs To Be The Next ‘American Idol’
  2. ‘American Idol’ Recap: Alex Preston Wows Judges With ‘Story Of My Life’
  3. Jennifer Lopez’s ‘Blessed’ Shirt In ‘I Luh Ya Papi’ Video: Get It For $68

กระเป๋าเดินทางลายการ

Posted at 12:45 PM on September 26, 2014

In 1989 Bob Plath said that wheels on the luggage would eliminate the need to
lug all those bags and ease the strain on the back. Were you aware that if you don’t want to both with your luggage at all when you travel you can use
a luggage delivery service. Don’t let your holiday travel plans be stopped as a result of your fear of suffering from movement sickness.

Susan Sarel

Posted at 3:50 PM on May 28, 2014

Jennifer Lopez cant sing to save her life. She cant dance well either. She can act a little. What an unfair world that she makes so much money for being less than mediocre. All the talented people in this world who cant even make a living. I will that she has perfected her looks and style but through money. Take away her endless hair extensions, multi millon dollar stage and street wardrobe, and you have someone very ordinary looking with a big a$$.

Olga

Posted at 4:32 PM on May 10, 2014

As a Latina I happy that JLo made it, but let’s face it, she is not a talented singer. She is a talented performer. And this song is just plain stupid. I truly think that the only reason it got any air play because of who she is. Otherwise this song, which is total garbage, would have never made the cut.

Jas

Posted at 4:37 PM on May 25, 2014

well just note that all her garbage “so called” has made her a net worth of 330 million dollars not bad for trash huh? :-)..

Britney

Posted at 7:29 AM on April 30, 2014

I absolutely love that song , Jennifer always look great on her videos and she can definately sing and dance
!

Frank

Posted at 12:22 PM on March 30, 2014

She positively cannot sing. It’s painful to listen to. Great dancer, but should not sing.

Jason

Posted at 8:52 PM on March 26, 2014

That performance was one of the worst in history. She was lip synching most of it and everything about was terrible. She acted like a 15 year old girl and should at least act like an adult. If anyone liked this they should check their hearing because they are tone-deaf! Embarrassing!

sheila

Posted at 5:16 PM on March 23, 2014

JLo is a great performer when she sings, That includes dancing , wardrobe, makeup, hair, stage props, back up dancers and more, So anyone with negative comments, jealous or not your kind of music. Every artist has done some kind of pole dance with a microphone stand or wore daisey duke shorts and many other things. Thats entertainment!!! If your going to be negative keep it to yourself, speak positive or shut up!!!

Nany

Posted at 9:37 PM on March 21, 2014

Not very flattering and immature. I absolutely love my girl, JLo buy I felt embarrased for her. Awful song.

mary gervasini

Posted at 8:00 PM on March 21, 2014

I thought it was completly awful!! She looked pathetic, trying to reach for something that is just not there …..no one cares that your from the bronx….seriously. And your relationship is a joke too. Like that one is gunna last…..lol

Angela

Posted at 7:58 PM on March 21, 2014

I love Jennifer Lopez voice but this song is stupid .

Leyla Atke

Posted at 2:39 PM on March 21, 2014

Amazing!

Susan

Posted at 12:40 PM on March 21, 2014

I have really enjoyed JLO’s & the other judges thoughtful comments and instruction to the Idol contestants this year. JLO is such a super star, I was hoping for a more classy performance last night. The chatting on the steps was muffled then when they turned off the mics for the singing & dancing lip sync there was too much of a change in the sound. It was confusing. I didn’t think the clothing choice was flattering to her. She’s such a beautiful woman, it’s a shame to not do her justice. The way she used the mic stand it reminded me of a pole dance. Come on JLO, leave a little to the imagination, you don’t have to show us all your parts!

Candice

Posted at 12:32 PM on March 21, 2014

I am so disappointed in JLO, come on you are 44 years old, a beautiful woman and a wonderful dancer but come on! This was just getto! Maybe if you were 16 and “a mommy” of a “gansta poppi” we’d have just thought it was normal?? What was that move you did that looked like you were trying to get water out of your ears??? This performance was just DUMB! I don’t think I LUH’D IT AT ALL MOMMY!

Alexa

Posted at 11:50 AM on March 21, 2014

I was just embarrassed for her. She is too old for this. I thought she had more class than this. The jeans looked like mom jeans. Give it up JLO your time is done.

Angel

Posted at 9:51 AM on March 21, 2014

Its okay if you guys didnt like the song, but telling a person how to act is wayyyy different cause why is important for you to tell a person how to act. Its none of your business. Why are americans like that?!? Why do they always want to control other peoples life. -.- like gay marriage- thats none of your business either.
You act however the fuck you want its your life. Just because shes 44 she doesnt have to act like an old lady. People need to mind their own business. Jeeezzz. The US is not a free country, everyone is always trying to control everyones life. Like mind your own business god dammit.

PPP

Posted at 9:44 AM on March 21, 2014

I thought it was horrible too! I thought she looked ridiculous…she’s not fat but that outfit looked horrible on her. The song is stupid fluff pop and it doesn’t even sound like her voice. My favorite part was seeing the camera pan to Harry and Keith and seeing them trying to act like they were supportive of that crap! It looked under rehearsed and out of sync at times. I love JLo and I think she is a great mentor on the show but this was no good.

darshu1337

Posted at 5:13 AM on March 21, 2014

am i the only one that thought it was horrible ? i have nothing against Jennifer Lopez but that performance was looked like a middle aged woman trying to relive her 20s which is fine if you can still move like one.

Her dancing was slow and lumbering. from the moment she stands up in that old person style as if it took all her will power. it could be she was just tiered but her back round dancers really gave a contrast to their ages. so it just came off really unnatural to me.

Pamela

Posted at 3:42 PM on March 21, 2014

No, you are not the only one who thought this was horrible. This looked like something JLo should’ve done earlier in her career when she was emerging from her Fly Girl days. First, it looked like she was lip-syncing. And the fact that she refers to Casper as her “Papi” is just gross. Maybe if he were closer to her age, as I understand it is a term of endearment (just as “Mami” is — it is not to be confused with “Mommy.”) But JLo is 44. She should get away from the hip-hop imagery and evolve as an entertainer. And she is not a “singer” — she is an entertainer. To pull off a show/concert, she needs the hunky male dancers, the sexy costumes, the glitz and gimmickry to distract from the fact that she can’t sing on her own. Take someone like Mariah Carey — she can stand on a stage for three hours, totally alone and captivate an audience with her beautiful voice. JLo can’t compare. Have you ever seen her perform with only her band and not all the “busyness” behind her?

Jonathan

Posted at 12:56 AM on March 21, 2014

I enjoyed

Jonathan

Posted at 12:53 AM on March 21, 2014

I liked it

Mister Baja

Posted at 12:44 AM on March 21, 2014

so she’s in her second puberty.

Alexa

Posted at 11:51 AM on March 21, 2014

You made me laugh!

Sherry L.

Posted at 12:03 AM on March 21, 2014

I like Jennifer but I heard that she lips sing. If she does she does it well.I think she is very talented and think the other two judges should listen to her she is a good jjudge of character. I don’t like the American Idol like I did last year. Maybe it will get better ttoward the end.

Jeremy Bransford

Posted at 1:12 AM on March 21, 2014

She was most definitely lip syncing. Her mike was turned off shortly after they got off the stairs and just before the end…you can hear the difference in her voice and the audio. Nice Dancing, J-lo…and great example to the contestants!

Angel

Posted at 9:44 AM on March 21, 2014

She wasnt lip syincing dude, clean your ears.

me

Posted at 10:41 PM on March 20, 2014

Jlo Bringing back those daisy dukes and no one whears them like Daisy Duke.

Val

Posted at 8:44 PM on March 23, 2014

IDon’t have nothing against JLo, but girl that was bad,HipHop is not you, in fact your 20 mins ended 2 hours ago. The day’s of getting susess with your booty is long over. Maybe a cruise line awaits!!!!