‘My Little Pony’ Backpack Banned — School Says Young Boy Will Be Bullied

Tue, March 18, 2014 4:15pm EDT by 27 Comments
My Little Pony Backpack Banned
Courtesy of Facebook

A 9-year-old boy in North Carolina is dealing with bullies over wearing his favorite ‘My Little Pony’ backpack to school. The school officials have since asked the boy, Grayson Bruce, not to wear the backpack anymore so that he is no longer a target for bullying. Should Grayson have to give up his favorite thing or should the school get tough on bullying?

Grayson Bruce, 9, and his mom, Noreen Bruce, are not happy with his elementary school for requesting that he stop wearing his favorite My Little Pony backpack to school in order to avoid bullies.

School Bans ‘My Little Pony’ Backpack

Grayson Bruce, 9, picked out his blue My Little Pony backpack because it is his favorite show. He enjoys the show because it promotes friendship and teamwork, sending a positive message to children like himself everywhere. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been able to spread positivity at his own school in the Buncombe County School District in North Carolina.

After Grayson received verbal and physical bullying from his classmates, school officials encouraged him to stop wearing the blue backpack. Because My Little Pony is primarily for little girls, Grayson was often picked on for having a “girly” backpack even though it was blue.

“They’re taking it a little too far, with punching me and pushing me down,” the little boy explained. “[They're] calling me horrible names. Stuff that really shouldn’t happen.”

The bullying got so bad that one kid told Grayson to kill himself, and Grayson was scared to go back to school. Since the incident, Noreen has taken Grayson out of school and is now homeschooling him.

Grayson’s Mom Disagrees With School Officials

Although school officials are blaming the bullying on Grayson’s backpack of choice, his mom Noreen Bruce is quick to disagree. When Grayson refused to get out of the car one day to avoid bullies, Noreen decided to get a school counselor involved. However, the school counselor didn’t offer Noreen much help, and the school’s principle even called Noreen at home asking her to keep Grayson’s backpack at home.

“One of her suggestions was to hide it,” Noreen explained to USA Today. “She said that if you have something like this you’re asking for trouble.”

Noreen tried to explain to the school officials that they were basically saying it was okay for kids to bully her son, and it was not okay for him to be interested in My Little Pony.

Tell us, HollyMoms — Would you let your child’s school ban their backpack? Was the school just being protective? Let us know your thoughts below.

– Lauren Cox

More Related News:

1. Kids Who Breastfed For Over 2 Years Have Higher Risk Of Tooth Decay — New Study
  2. Young Mom, 26, Fights Deadly Cancer Caused By Pregnancy With Twin Girls
  3. Murderous Mom of Three Tries To Kill Unborn Child By Beating Stomach

Ciel Phantom

Posted at 4:10 AM on March 30, 2014

No I wouldn’t. If my son wants a Rainbow Dash or a Fluttershy backpack to use as a school backpack then I’m not stopping him. The school shouldn’t target the kids backpack but target the bullies. If a bully told my son to kill himself because he had a MLP backpack first I’d take my son out of school and then sue the school because there are anti-bullying laws now. There is nothing wrong with a 6-12 year old boys liking My Little Pony. No they aren’t gay nor are they sissy and being bullied for liking a show that teaches kids friendship and teamwork. I say its the bullies who need to watch MLP.

Grayson Bruce’s principle was also being a bully by siding with the bullies and telling them to leave the MLP backpack at home.

Shannon

Posted at 11:47 AM on March 28, 2014

Why don’t the schools just require uniforms and black backpacks? It prevents these sort of things from happening because parents think their kid is “Special” and should be allowed to do whatever stupid, weird thing they want.

Bullying for any reason is wrong, but come on, woman. Protect your kid! If parents support every weird impulse their child has instead of teaching them to be normal, it’s no wonder they grow up spoiled and thinking they should always get what they want and everyone should celebrate their “uniqueness”. What’s gonna happen when this kid is 22 and wearing sparkly dresses to job interviews? Should he be given a job because it’s bullying if they don’t? *eye roll*

Teach your kid to be normal. And parents of these bullies, teach your kids to control their unevolved, brutal impulses. It’s just bad parenting all around.

Furious!!

Posted at 8:24 AM on March 21, 2014

The kid should be allowed to own whatever bag he wants. The bullies are the ones in the wrong. If this were my son I would be furious. I would go to the department and demand something be done. It’s things like this that make me upset and angry at society for even suggesting this. Anyone who says that the kid deserves to be bullied or “had it coming to him” should be stopped from reproducing. Nothing justifies a kid being beaten over something like a bag.

Shannon

Posted at 11:48 AM on March 28, 2014

Backpacks don’t have to have characters and stuff on them. Buy the kid a plain backpack and keep the my little pony stuff at home.

My Little Pony is Gay

Posted at 12:25 PM on March 20, 2014

The My Little Pony boy needs to have his an azz kicked for real though!………….my little pony is for girls and fags!….bullying happens, no way around it………….The teachers were trying to prevent little fagboy from getting jacked up…….should have let the bullies beat his faggot azz!

Ciel Phantom

Posted at 4:22 AM on March 30, 2014

Wow firstly that ticks me off. Kicking a boy’s butt because he has a MLP backpack is over the line. Second, the show isn’t just for girls and fags.My Little Pony was created to teach kids the meaning of friendship and teamwork.

Me (a 22 man), my husband and our son watch MLP together as a family. My and my husband want our son to make the right friends as he grows up and MLP helps him by showing what real friends do for each other.

DEADPOOL

Posted at 7:07 PM on April 1, 2014

No it si wrong the boy should get to where what he wants to. ITS CALLED FREEDOM AND THE RIGHTS TO WHERE WHAT YOU WANT TO WHERE AND HE SHOULD NOT GETT PICKED ON FOR THAT SO WHAT HE LIKES MY LITTLE PONEY GET REALL HE IS A CHILD AND 9 YEARS OLD IAM SURE WE ALL WENT THROUGH A SIMILAR THING WHEN WE WERE SAMLL.

Elasmo

Posted at 4:32 AM on April 22, 2014

yes it is freedom to wear what ever you want even a MLP bag. However if a kid calls him a fag for wearing the bag, that would also be considered freedom of expression. I do belief everyone should be allowed to wear what ever they want, but if you wear what ever you want, you must also understand their might be some backlash to making those choices. As some one else said, if you wear a pink panther costume to a job interview dont expect to get hired. Doesnt matter if you really really like the costume, you wont get hired. unless of course you are requiered to wear the costume in the first place.

jen

Posted at 8:53 AM on March 20, 2014

This is disgraceful. Bullying should be punished, no matter what. Making that boy give up his backpack is just telling everyone it’s acceptable to be bullied. Aren’t we always telling kids not to give into peer pressure? I’s this not teaching the exact opposite? What’s next? If someone is openly gay in their school & gets bullied for it (which lets face it, happens everyday), should the school tell them they need to be straight? What about getting bullied for hair color? Should the school start enforcing a rule that nobody can dye their hair an “unacceptable” color so as not to get bullied? What about clothes? Shoes? My daughter & most of her friends like to wear boys Converse sneakers. Should they accept getting bullied for wearing boys shoes? I would sure this school faster then they could say the word “bully”. With the message they are sending, they may as well just turn over the keys to the school to the bullies…sounds like they are the ones in charge.

MK2000

Posted at 7:25 PM on March 19, 2014

This has to be some sort of joke. At some point or another this child has to realize what is socially acceptable for a young boy and soon to be teen such as myself (17). The schoool staff wasn’t necessarily bullying him, they were trying to protect him from the inevitable, kids make jokes and tease each other, that’s what they do, but only when they do it incessantly can they be considered a bully. They can’t FORCE every child in the school to fully support and like this kid’s choice.I’m completely against bullying, but when

Damn!

Posted at 8:26 PM on March 19, 2014

@MK2000, they didn’t just tease him though.
They physically put their hands on him!
When that happens all bets are off in my book.
Someone even told him to kill himself.
These kids have serious problems that need to be dealt with.
It no longer matters if he brought the backpack to school or not.
THEY KNOW HE HAS IT!
And who are you or anyone else to tell someone what is socially acceptable for a person of any age?
I don’t think the staff is bullying him either, but I do think they would rather not get involved and feel the way to do that is to take the backpack out of the equation.
It doesn’t matter though, if it had not been the backpack it would have been something else.
Those bullies need to be taken down a peg.
I hope they’ve been disciplined.
Live & let live, and keep your hands to yourself.
If more people taught their kids this, the world would be a better place.

Michael Hovey

Posted at 5:45 PM on March 19, 2014

A boy who brings a my little pony lunchbox to school should be expected to get bullied. Makes complete sense to me. Kids these days should be smart enough not to bring stuff with them to school that would automatically get them beat up or made fun of. Sure it’s sad he got bullied, but it’s his own dang fault really. Kids just need to wake up and get smarter that’s all.

Shannon

Posted at 11:52 AM on March 28, 2014

It’s not so much the kids, but the parents.

They want to raise boys to be girls and girls to be boys. And then they think they’re god’s gift to the world because they are “accepting and loving”, when really they’re just raising their kids wrong to get attention. It’s sad. These kids don’t deserve it.

These same parents use the TV as a babysitter- hence the obsession with my little pony.

Ciel Phantom

Posted at 4:30 AM on March 30, 2014

Okay lets say it wasn’t a MLP backpack but pink erasers or a light pink shirt and the kid got bullied for those. Is he asking to get beat up then.

A young person

Posted at 12:17 AM on May 15, 2014

Look, I see what you are saying. But the boy isn’t looking for trouble… Has anyone ever gotten beat up for wearing Minecraft shirt? There is n

amy

Posted at 4:24 AM on March 19, 2014

so sad! we wonder why mean and hate crimes are on the rise everyday. with all the tax money they alot for schools, seems they could spend a few dollars to monitor teachers and principles that are not stopping the bullying and give them some kind of penalty and see how they like something being taken away as they took this childs bag away!! i went through some things like this with one of my children (now 33 yrs, old). i got the legal system involved and really shook the school up and got three boys put out of school! maybe that’s what needs to happen here and other parents should do the same. each person one at a time can make a change!! teach your children how to cope with and stand up against what’s wrong and how to go about doing it** good luck to all parents with school children. so glad mine are out of school and finished college and they learned in school they could stand up against bullying!!!! even if you had to get the courts involved! so go talk to a magistrate and see what you can do? we have lots of new laws on bullying,stalking and the likes!! also laws on people who see these offenses and don’t report can be held accountable. the parents of this child may be able to have the school pay for a private school if the one he’s in can’t provide him a safe environment as they alot tax dollars per student.***sincerest wishes to all students and parents!!!!! AND TO ALL THE GOOD TEACHERS STILL OUT THERE; AS THE ONES WHO HELPED ME AND MY CHILD THROUGH THOSE DAYS!!LOOK TO THE GOOD TEACHERS FOR SUPPORT!(AND GET THEM A BONUS)

redbeard

Posted at 11:07 PM on March 18, 2014

This is outrageous, parents r suppose to be able to entrust ther children with these teachers, but how can they when its clear the teachers have no control or care for child safety. Absolutely rude an discriminating to condone bullying in ther school, an to teach them not to except others for how they are. #GET IT TOGETHER!

Kayla

Posted at 9:11 PM on March 18, 2014

An elementary school that allows their young children to punch and harm another student because of a show he likes? Sounds like this school needs a lot of improvement! When you say “you can’t stop bullying”, maybe this is the reason why. Because the teachers and school officials are not punishing the students that need to be, but are simply telling the child being bullied to leave his backpack at home. I am sickened! The people working at that school should be fired and replaced with people that know how to do their damn job!

Posted at 8:44 PM on March 18, 2014

I completely understand where the school is coming from. No matter what you do, YOU CANT STOP BULLYING!!!! Its going to happen no matter how hard the school fights it. When my brother walked into school with me and he had a disney princess bag and the constant bullying over him having a girl backpack still haunts him. There is no win in this situation no matter what the school does.

Joe Flex

Posted at 9:28 PM on March 18, 2014

You may nit be able to prevent bullying, but you sure as hell can punish it. I mean, we can’t stop murder and rape. So we should just not punish people who do that right?

I swear our country is going t crap because of thinking like yours. We are rallying to ban the word “Bossy” used on little girls but we tell a little boy to change to fit in? Okay. Sure. i see no wrong in all this at all.

Millie R

Posted at 8:08 PM on March 18, 2014

That is so wrong! The school needs to cracked down. My son is 13 and is in middle school and Loves My little Pony. Some boy scouts will get together and watch episodes and they are teens. That school needs to get there act together and stop finding excuses to do do something about the bullying.

anna

Posted at 7:08 PM on March 18, 2014

In the school I went to they had a anti bulling policy he should not have to give up his favourite thing because the school want him to I think the school are just too lazy to interjuce a anti bulling policy to the the school

alice wonder

Posted at 7:01 PM on March 18, 2014

what Rebecca responded I am alarmed that anyone able to profit $7517 in four weeks on the computer . browse around this website

>>>>>>>> WWW.B­­A­­­Y­­­­9­­­­­1.C­O­M

Heather

Posted at 6:40 PM on March 18, 2014

NOT only are the kids Bullying this little boy but the SCHOOL STAFF is Bullying him!!! that’s a Damn Disgrace and they should NOT be in this profession if they’re supposed to protect all the kids in the school not cause them more hurt and suffering!!!!

3babydux

Posted at 6:38 PM on March 18, 2014

Not saying that I agree with it but I can understand the school’s “thinking”. The problem is that it’s taking the lazy way out…they see removing the backpack from the situation as a way to diffuse it, when in reality the bully kids will just move on to someone else, or keep picking at Grayson about other stuff. With bullying being such a huge problem these days school’s everywhere need to be doing whatever they can to nip it in the bud as soon as it appears, in every instance.

JoyB

Posted at 6:34 PM on March 18, 2014

I am disgusted with this public school in particular and all public schools in general. Rather then handle the situation by confronting the bullies and punishing them, they would rather punish the child being bullied. So much safer and easier for the school. If you ask me they are as guilty if bullying as the students.

Sue

Posted at 6:17 PM on March 18, 2014

Are you kidding me? So basically they are giving the bullies the message that they are ALLOWED to bully as long as it’s something that’s NOT “Normal”…I guess they may as well get the message early that it’s okay to bully gays, people of different races, poor kids, or I guess even anyone wearing an orange shirt if it’s something they don’t like…