A new mystery has emerged in the bizarre disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight 370. Not only was the plane hundreds of miles off course, but it had also stopped sending ‘identifying transponder codes’ before its disappearance, according to a Malaysian Air Force official.
A new clue has been revealed in the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 — but it only poses more questions about this unprecedented mystery. Why was the flight so far off course? Did a pilot purposely steer the plane away from its final destination of Beijing? Was the flight’s disappearance related to terrorism? Here’s what we know.
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight Off Course By Hundreds Of Miles: New Mystery
Malaysian Flight 370′s last known location was over a small island hundreds of miles away from the flight’s designated route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, a senior Malaysian Air Force official who wishes to remain anonymous tells CNN.
It was previously believed that the plane had lost contact with air traffic control somewhere near Vietnam’s coastline. But if this new information is accurate, it means the plane was flying away from its intended destination — and that someone in the cockpit may have purposely misdirected the plane.
“This kind of deviation in course is simply inexplicable,” says Paul Goelz, the former managing director of the National Transportation Safety Board.
While officials with the international police organization Interpol have said they do not believe the flight’s disappearance to be a terrorist incident, CIA Director John Brennan says he’s “not ruling” the possibility out. “Not at all,” he adds.
Conspiracy Theories Behind Missing Malaysia Flight
There have been many conspiracy theories surrounding the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight 370. Here are two of the more interesting theories, as reported by the Sydney Morning Herald.
1. The Chinese Did It: Authorities have dismissed previous reports stating that the two passengers travelling on stolen passports had links to the Chinese Martyrs’ Brigade, as a hoax. The group had reportedly taken responsibility for the disappearance of the plane in an email to journalists in China on March 9.
2. Freak High Altitude Accident: Speculation that the Malaysia Airlines plane disintegrated in the air was one of the first to come on to the scene after reports filtered in that the plane had mysteriously vanished.
“The fact that we are unable to find any debris so far appears to indicate that the aircraft is likely to have disintegrated at around 35,000 feet (10,600 metres),” said a source involved in the investigations in Malaysia. However, one aviation expert told the South China Morning Post that even if the plane had disintegrated into thin air, signs of the debris would have been detected on radar.
What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Leave us your thoughts in the comments.
– Tierney McAfee
More Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight News:
- Chinese Terrorist Group Takes Credit For Missing Malaysia Flight MH370
- Malaysia Airlines: Oil Slick Suggests Plane Carrying 239 People Crashed
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 May Have Disintegrated At 35,000 Feet