‘My Five Wives’ — Meet The Wives Of TLC’s Latest Hit Polygamy Show

Fri, March 7, 2014 1:32pm EDT by 18 Comments
TLC My Five Wives Premiere
Courtesy of TLC

Lizzie

Posted at 6:23 PM on July 20, 2014

Very concerned about these shows airing polygamy in a positive, feel-good way. Often they show the man comforting the women or children during a dramatic situation, the kind every family has. Other times family members will appear, as do the children, to talk about how people can persecute them for their lifestyle, again good T.V. drama. But this situation isn’t a lifestyle, it’s an illegal act, with reasons for that.
To understand why polygamy is emotionally, psychologically, and sometimes physically abusive, visit polygamy.org to hear the voice of survivors and how they are making efforts to help heal victims who suffer the worst in these situations.
My issue is with the advertising of the shows on TLC’s Bride Day. Bride Day is family-friendly viewing, and then the commercial break shows promotion for this lifestyle and its patriarchs, who use the methods of the abuser to prey on the low self-esteem of the women involved. I get that
Bride Day has lots of viewers so TLC will want to advertise shows that it thinks will be an advertising draw. But I don’t want my children watching that, especially my daughter, and the group of friends and family we watch with have all agreed to just flip the channel during commercial breaks. Hope TLC can rethink its advertising!

loretta

Posted at 4:32 PM on April 24, 2014

It is an interesting show as is Sister Wives. I am not for that kind of lifestyle but then it ‘s God judgement that matters and only his. I was raised in a Mormon family but my Dad never took on other wives. I think Rhonda is so sweet and genuine. I hope she does not have breast cancer. The other ladies are a bit needy I would say and jealous. On Sister Wives I think Jenelle and Christine are good natured and loving. These shows are better than the other crap on tv, It seems that everything is about sex, ( even commercials for heavens sake! ) violence, killings, vampires, anything that is not real , its all garbage to me, just saying….

Shelly

Posted at 11:34 PM on April 20, 2014

Paulie the 1st wife is very extremely needy, jealous, and always intrudes on the other wives time with Brady. Robyn the 2nd wife is a drama queen and always crying about nonsense. Rosemary the 3rd wife is a sweet heart. She is always getting screwed out of time with Brady by Paulie which she does on purpose! Nonie the 4th wife is an opinionated, jealous, drama queen, and fake! The 5th wife Rhonda is a sweet heart, down to earth, and is genuine.

Kitchenaid stand Mixer

Posted at 12:58 AM on April 2, 2014

Greetings I am so hppy I foud your weblog, I really found you by mistake, while I was searching on Aol for something else,
Anyhow I am here now and would jjust like to say many thanks for a marvelous post and a all round
exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have tim to look ove itt all at the moment but I have book-marked it
and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will bee back to read a lot more,Please do keep uup the
awesome job.

Brooke Davis

Posted at 1:00 PM on March 29, 2014

I watch a lot of the shows on TLC, but this is horrible! The husband clearly has and shows who he favors. I think he isn’t nice or fair to all his wives. Clearly it shows, because you can see the jealous between them all. Please take this off the air. Don’t get me wrong I love Sister Wives, but My Five Wives gives polygamy a bad name!

Patricia

Posted at 7:00 PM on March 21, 2014

I just heard a promo for the next show and apparently Rhonda and Brady are going away for their anniversary and Robyn says; ” It kinda feels like he’s someone else s husband”…YEAH he is. I had to LOL on that one.

Dorair Sharppe

Posted at 7:20 PM on March 16, 2014

Did he really say: “Our grocery bill alone is $40,000.00 a month”. WHAT?! For 30 people that’s over $1300.00 per person, per month! THAT IS INSANE! Someone is pocketing big money! I can tell them how to live for less than $300.00 per person, per month. Someone tell me he didn’t say that.

Susan Thorne

Posted at 1:33 PM on March 10, 2014

Do we really need these type of shows on TV? And most importantly who watches them. I mute the TV every time the commercial comes on. I never watch ANY of the reality shows….what a waste of my time! It all comes down to money! I’m really fed up with these cultish religious programs whether the be Morman or Christian! If I never hear…”we are so blessed”, it will be too soon.

You ain't nothin' but a ...

Posted at 2:01 PM on March 9, 2014

… hound dog.

Carol Caulfield

Posted at 8:57 AM on March 9, 2014

A woman having 5 husbands–now that would be a interesting show!!!!! Or if one of these “wives” took on another husband!!!! But one guy with 5 women is as old as the bible-yawn.

talonrose

Posted at 6:55 AM on March 9, 2014

Disgusting … and the promo? Ewww… im 50.. old enough to tolerate ALOT.. but this??? Nope. These women are pathetic. There are women kidnapped n FORCE into this male bravado BS. Where r their family? ? Friend?? And who’s paying for this ‘life-style’…

linda*n*heath

Posted at 8:19 PM on March 8, 2014

this is so disgusting what on earth has gotten into ppl?what has this society came to?for 1 tlc and all these other channels has too much freakin time on their hands and prob live a boring life of their own to keep coming up with all of these stupid reality shows… LISTEN UP NOBODY CARES !!! not about any of these idiots problems, i got enough of my own, get a freakin life!! for 2 does anybody not read their bibles are do they even have enough sense to know what the bible is this is ungodly and an abomanation to GOD you know what that means?? it makes GOD sick look it up!!for these children to be raised like this is just wrong on all aspects of life they even got their kids believing that its ok i never seen such distasteful believes in all my life ppl will do anything to be on tv and not only that but other ppl sit and watch it!! I WOULD HATE TO BE THEM OR ACTUALLY ANY WHERE NEAR THEM ON JUDGEMENT DAY!!!!!!!!!! ppl wonder why this world is so messed up because the ppl like the tv producers air and display their immoralities for the whole world to see if they cant find something else to put on tv they need to shut the whole network down at least until they get some ppl in there that knows how to be decent….wheres all the good and decent tv shows that used to come on?? they replaced them with all these disgusting acts that ppl call life…..

tam

Posted at 5:51 PM on March 8, 2014

Really ladies what’s so good about him that you all can’t live without him? Your better than that.

Sharen Skylar

Posted at 2:11 PM on March 8, 2014

I don’t watch all that much TV and this is pretty much the reason why. there are too man stupid shows on and frankly how other people live their lives doesn’t interest me at all. I’m interested in how I live MY life. the phrase ‘get a life’ should apply if you’re going to watch this show. count me out.

jenny

Posted at 11:44 PM on March 7, 2014

This is disgusting. How does he make time for everyone? This is not love.

Lizzie

Posted at 6:35 PM on July 20, 2014

Hi Jenny :-) I agree, it’s not love. However, the wives and children aren’t in worst that these situations can get, excepting the emotional dysfunction. I’ve watched both shows once to get an idea how they portray this lifestyle, because my kids asked questions about it after they saw ads during another show. Let’s hope the off-camera situation is at least as physically safe for the family as on camera. Our community has had experience with a near-by community who practices this situation, and the idea of, and word, “love” was certainly misused and abused there as well. Sigh. We have a counseling community for members recovering. I hope they have resources as well.

Terry

Posted at 8:45 PM on March 7, 2014

I keep seeing this show promo when I am watching other shows on TLC. I am interested in watching the first show just to see. But after reading the article it sounds too crazy. This is a busy man he has lots of kids the same age. Is this legal? But the real thing is are there not enough men to go around that 5 women have to marry only one man. Why would any woman share her man. How does the first wife feel was it ok with her that her husband married someone else while still married to her. Do the wives act like sisters? Weird,

3babydux

Posted at 2:40 PM on March 7, 2014

What a mess. Do we really need another polygamy show?? I think not. I think we’ve all managed to see that polygamy is different & unusual & not normal (to a majority of Americans…no room for being PC in this comment!) so I’m left wondering why there is still a fascination with it? Why is there still enough interest to garner another tv show? Geez America. If you’re so interested in polygamy…why don’t you join up?!