The 86th annual Academy Awards was one of the best and most entertaining in recent memory! See below for all of the highlights from the March 2 broadcast!
Ellen Degeneres has got this Oscar hosting thing down! For her second time hosting at the Dolby Theatre, she totally knocked it out of the park. Read on for our countdown of the top 5 most memorable moments of the night — including Jennifer Lawrence‘s little spill and some of the most emotional acceptance speeches of the night — and tell us YOUR favorite!
Oscars 2014 Show Highlights: Jennifer Lawrence’s Fall & Jared Leto’s Best Supporting Actor Acceptance
1. This is the second year in a row that Jennifer Lawrence has fallen at the Oscars and handled it with total grace and charm! Remember when she fell on the steps on her way to the stage to accept Best Supporting Actress for her role in Silver Linings Playbook? This year, she lost her footing on the red carpet, tripping on a cone, and hit the ground in her gorgeous red Dior gown. It was definitely a memorable moment — and it happens to the best of us! (This writer cannot even tell you how many times she’s fallen up stairs.) Can you even imagine the combo of a heavy evening gown and high heels?
2. Jared Leto gave the most beautiful, most open and honest speech we’ve ever seen as he accepted the Best Supporting Actor award for his supporting role in Dallas Buyers Club. Here’s what the 42-year-old actor had to say about his mom:
“In 1971, Bossier City, Louisiana, there was a teenage girl who was pregnant with her second child. She was a high school dropout and a single mom, but somehow she managed to make a better life for herself and her children. She encouraged her kids to be creative, to work hard and to do something special. That girl is my mother and she’s here tonight. And I just want to say, I love you, Mom. Thank you for teaching me to dream. To my brother, Shannon, the best big brother in the world, you’re a true artist. Thank you so much for sharing this insane and amazing adventure that is 30 Seconds to Mars, and for being my best friend. I love you. Thank you.”
Are you kidding us? That is too sweet! Did Jared just become Hollywood’s most eligible bachelor? We think so.
Oscars 2014 Show Highlights: Ellen’s Selfie & Lupita Nyong’o’s Speech
3. In the middle of the show, Ellen took the most star-studded selfie in the history of, well, ever! Here it is from her official Twitter:
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) March 3, 2014
As of this writing, that was retweeted over 2 million times! Not only that, but the mass of people looking for and retweeting it temporarily shut down Twitter! Pretty sure that Ellen just won at social media.
4. Earlier in the show, Ellen walked down the aisles and commented on how everybody must be hungry. Well, it wasn’t an idle comment, because not long after, a pizza delivery boy arrived! She handed pizza out to Hollywood’s biggest celebs and then peer-pressured Harvey Weinstein into giving a huge tip! Ellen helpfully reminded him that there were only 1 billion people watching.
5. Just kidding — Lupita Nyong’o‘s acceptance speech was the most emotional of the night. When her name was announced, Lupita got a hug from everyone in her immediate vicinity — not just co-stars but even Liza Minnelli! Her speech was as gracious as we’ve seen from her this awards season, and her tearfulness was catching here at the HollywoodLife.com offices! Here are some excerpts from her beautiful speech:
“Thank you to the Academy for this incredible recognition. It doesn’t escape me for one moment that so much joy in my life is thanks to so much pain in someone else’s. And so I want to salute the spirit of Patsey for her guidance. And for Solomon, thank you for telling her story and your own.”
“When I look down at this golden statue, may it remind me and every little child that no matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid. Thank you.”
What did YOU think, HollywoodLifers? What was your favorite moment of the night? Did Lupita make you cry just a teensy bit? And are you bummed that Leo didn’t get that golden statue? Be sure to vote and weigh in below!
— Amanda Michelle Steiner