‘Frozen’ Oscar Performance: Idina Menzel Stuns Crowd With ‘Let It Go’

Sun, March 2, 2014 11:20pm EDT by 119 Comments
Frozen Oscar Performance
Kevin Winter/Entertainment/Getty Images

presage

Posted at 8:26 PM on June 9, 2014

A little late commenting,but …..am I the only one that notices her diction is HORRIBLE?!? YIKES!! Nice voice, intolerable diction problems, Especially being she is pretending to be royalty. Now the girl that plays ‘Anna’ understand what “diction” is,.and I can listen to her all day.

Richard Keech

Posted at 8:55 AM on August 16, 2014

A comment worthy of Spider Rico

theblamee

Posted at 10:55 PM on June 3, 2014

Can you say lip-synced. That’s the only explanation for the orchestra “rushing” her performance.

Anne

Posted at 12:54 PM on May 31, 2014

Are you kidding me she was awful! You are lying to yourself if you don’t think she horrendously missed the last note, her voice even cracked

Mickey

Posted at 3:25 AM on May 30, 2014

The note was not an E, it was a Eb. And it’s the same note she hit like four times in the choruses…. But it’s obviously harder to belt it out… She belted out the C# from earlier in the song quite well, which is only a step lower…

Idon

Posted at 4:56 PM on May 6, 2014

Her singing in oscars was poor. She was completely out of tune and musical timing and she couldnt get the final notes. For sure not an oscar appearance!

Niki Fair

Posted at 12:46 PM on April 20, 2014

She was terrible at the Oscars? Is this article a joke? I have heard her live and she is an amazing singer but her Oscar performance was horrific.

kelen

Posted at 6:49 AM on August 24, 2014

listen again, without auto-tune she is awful..

Frozen sucks snowballs

Posted at 7:36 PM on April 14, 2014

Hahaha after hearing everyone rave about how great of a singer she is, I decided to tune into the Oscars to see if she lived up to the hype. Believe me, I was “stunned” by her performance and definitely not in a good way. Oh, and I can’t forget all the Idina Menzel fans who rushed to defend her: “She was sick! Give her a break”, “She was nervous performing at the Oscars”, and “John Travolta messed up her name so she was ticked off”, and my all-time favorite, “The orchestra was rushing her!”. The orchestra was NOT rushing. Anyone with an ear can tell that she was way ahead of the orchestra and they were rushing to keep up with her.
So disappointed this song and movie won the Oscars. They were both soooo undeserving. I see a decline in the quality of Disney animation/songwriting. Then again, I guess after how overrated Frozen became, there wasn’t much competition.

Pádraig Ó

Posted at 10:12 PM on May 1, 2014

I think when you start your comment with ‘Hahaha’ your mental age and social standing are laid bare.
Admitted, the performance seemed rushed, but did you stop to notice the lack of monitors onstage?? How do you think she heard the backing music? Most likely in-ear monitors, which are dodgy to say the least solely reliant on the man at the desk (and they are always awesome at live TV shows, right?).
Watch more closely, Troll, and you will notice at times that she is trying her best to count a beat with her movement as she sings, all the while trying to portray the perfect image of the Oscars.
Should you hopefully someday meet her in the street and, at that moment before she smacks you square in your already trolled schnoze, please ask her how she felt singing that song that night. I guarantee the one-word answer will be ‘nightmare’.
Someone somewhere on the night of the Oscars fecked up somewhere, but it was most certainly not her.
Now, let’s also mention your ‘anyone with an ear’ comment. Seriously? As far as timing goes, if you could take the time and let both your brain cells to knock together in 4/4 throughout the whole song you will see that the music did not AT ALL lose an ounce of a beat, let alone chase her singing.
Finally, you berate the credibility of your entire comment by denouncing any acclaim due the movie Frozen. Obviously one of Disney’s finest musical animations, as noted by possibly the entire world (minus yourself, of course, and the rest of your lot under that bridge – three of you, right??).
Troll somewhere else child.

Warfraze

Posted at 10:25 PM on June 1, 2014

I heard she had an asthma attack before the performance,maybe thats why her voices seems different

Nika

Posted at 2:44 AM on April 2, 2014

I actually thought the timing was way off and she was totally out of sync with the music. She does have a wonderful voice, but this performance was pretty bad. Pink, on the other hand, was really good!

amanda

Posted at 9:41 PM on March 29, 2014

1st of all, an E is not that high people. It’s actually an octave below the highest notes required in some operas. I love Idina Mendel, but she was obviously struggling in this performance, looked pained and I suspected she was ill. It’s hard to make the call not to perform for such an important event, but I guess she fooled most of you or at least the tone deaf Academy… I was personally shocked that she would do that in public. She looked disappointed in the end. The point is, even when you’re sick good technique can back up the voice. She is a Broadway baby with bad Broadway belting technique and I fear that she will not be able to perform live for many more years unless she corrects some very bad habits. This particular performance was like Stevie Nicks after a pack of smokes or as South Park once commented, blurring the thin line between human and goat. A famous singing joke goes like this… the three stages of bad technique in singing: bel canto, can belto, can’t canto. I’m afraid dear Mendina is closing in on can’t canto.

Mickey

Posted at 3:27 AM on May 30, 2014

It was an Eb

Theatrebabe224

Posted at 12:54 AM on March 21, 2014

I don’t know if many of you are actually in the business or know anything about theatre, but from what I heard she was in tech for her new show at the time of the Academy Awards. Now for those of you who don’t know tech is one for the most stressful and taxing weeks on a performer (As well as directors, designers, technicians and stage managers). She sounded sick and exhaust. I have seen her live, so while I was disappointed with this performance, I know she has a killer set of pipes. And for those who just don’t like her style thats fine but, I would like to see you hit some of the notes she does. She made an amazing Elphaba, Elsa and Maureen…just to name a few.