The small screen remake of ‘About A Boy’ — the 2002 Hugh Grant flick that also launched the career of Nicholas Hoult — finally premiered on Feb. 22, and we’re already completely in love.
Everyone fell in love with Hugh Grant when he developed that touching friendship with the titular boy in About A Boy, but we think that the new David Walton remake gives the flick a run for its money! Below find 5 reasons to tune in on Tuesdays at 9 p.m.
‘About A Boy’ Review — 5 Reasons To Watch
1. Jason Katims Developed The Series. Seriously, does anyone have a better track record in bringing big-screen hits to the small screen? Case 1: Friday Night Lights. Case 2: Parenthood. If we need to say more, then your tear ducts are likely broken and you should immediately consult a medical professional.
2. David Walton Is Hilarious(ly Sexy). Hugh is undeniably the king when it comes to making “man-children” somehow likable (despite being occasionally despicable), but David — who you may remember from New Girl — gives him a run for his money. Sure, it helps that he’s good looking, but his comedic timing is also top-notch… so even when his character Will is doing despicable things like using Marcus (Benjamin Stockham) to bag babes, we still find ourselves somehow rooting for him to grow up and succeed.
3. Benjamin Stockham Is Adorable. The chemistry between Marcus and Will is already endearing, and we can’t wait to see how the two mismatched boys help each other grow. Or regress. Whichever one is funnier.
4. Minnie Driver. Good Will Hunting star Minnie brings some A-List cred to the show, and even though her character Fiona has only been seen as the typical nagging mom so far, we know that the British actress will find her way and make Fiona a compelling part of the series.
5. The Potential For Original Cast Member Cameos. Okay, so this might be a long shot, but if the series gets successful enough there’s at least a small chance that Hugh or Nicholas might show up for a cameo, right?
What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Did you watch the premiere of About A Boy? Will you continue to tune in? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!
— Shaunna Murphy