‘Heroes Reborn': NBC’s Reboot Needs To Ditch The Cast To Save The Show

Mon, February 24, 2014 10:43am EDT by 18 Comments
Heroes Reborn NBC Reboot
Courtesy of NBC

The world was teleported back to 2006 on Feb. 22, when NBC made the head-scratching announcement that they were bringing back ‘Heroes’ for a 13-episode run. With two full days to think about it, we’ve finally come to the conclusion that this might be a great idea — if they don’t include Hayden PanettierreZachary Quinto, and the rest of the heroes that filled out the original cast.

When Hayden Panettierre put on that sexy red uniform and jumped to her “death” during the Heroes pilot back in Sept. 2006, the world was rightfully hooked. Now, nearly eight years and three unfortunately crappy seasons later, the show will make its triumphant return as a miniseries —  but in order to be successful, Heroes Reborn will need to ditch its cheerleader in order to save the show.

‘Heroes Reborn’ Reboot — Ditch The Cast; Save The Show

Season 1 of Heroes was about as exciting as TV got back in 2006 — minus Lost, of course.

And much of this had to do with Hayden, Zachary QuintoJack ColemanMilo Ventimiglia, and the other colorful stars who populated the show’s wacky universe. But as time went on, many of their plotlines grew tedious, and fans began to wonder why the show didn’t go with its original idea of introducing a new cast of “heroes” each season. I mean, remember when Nathan Petrelli died? And then came back to life? And then died — again? And then… well, you get it. Point it, the writers lost track of where they were going, and by the end of days, fans had grown tired of the original heroes of Heroes.

Then, shockingly, the show ended on a pretty damn impressive note — Claire (Hayden) outed herself as a hero, letting the entire world know that heroes (and villains!) were among us. It was cool! It was exciting! It was a world we never got to explore, because the show was abruptly canceled following her reveal.

Now, I’m totally down with a Heroes universe in which the entire population knows that these people are out there. It could make for some serious, X-Men style drama; dealing with the implications of “coming out” to a world that’s probably not quite ready for super-humans. I just don’t want Claire, Sylar, or any goddamned member of the Petrelli family to be there when this exciting new universe is revealed. These characters’ stories have been told — and, admittedly, not very well — so giving the show a fresh start with new personalities to work with (and of course, a set end date to prevent the writing from flying off the rails) could be just what Heroes needs to save its tarnished legacy.

‘Heroes Reborn’ Reboot — There’s Always A ‘But’

Of course, there is one giant exception to this “ditch the cast, save the show” rule — Heroes wouldn’t be Heroes without its main hero, Hiro (Masi Oka). Getting fans of the original franchise to tune in will obviously be a key component to Reborn‘s success, and fans are going to want at least one old character to serve as the anchor between the old universe and the new. Hiro is undoubtedly the show’s most iconic character (next to Claire, but she doesn’t have a sword), and his presence is just so damn delightful that they’d be crazy not to invite him back. (Though, to be fair, I wouldn’t mind a well-placed HRG cameo, either.)

What do you think, Heroes fans? Are you excited for Heroes Reborn, or should the show have stayed dead? Do you agree that the reboot should ditch the original cast? Are there certain cast members you’re dying to see? Let me know in the comments!

– Shaunna Murphy

More TV News:

1. ‘Heroes Reborn’: NBC Show Returning For 13-Episode Event
  2. ‘About A Boy’ Star Previews Tonight’s ‘Heartfelt’ Premiere Event
  3. ‘True Detective,’ ‘House Of Cards,’ & More — 10 Raciest TV Sex Scenes

Stetson

Posted at 4:14 AM on August 30, 2014

I think you should keep the original cast! I love te cast Heroes wouldn’t be the same without them! Especially without Claire,Peter,Hiro,Sylar and HRG you at least need to keep them!

Sven

Posted at 4:00 AM on May 31, 2014

HEY! Some of us liked some of the old cast members. I didn’t really care much for Claire and I wouldn’t care if she didn’t come back. But I LIKED Sylar…okay so he’s a good guy now, but I Liked his character. The same with Peter. Ditch the rest of his stupid family and give him his original power back. I didn’t like it when they took that away. Yes Hiro is cool. Keep him, Peter and Sylar…and maybe a few others. Ditch the rest of Peter’s family, including Claire, she was annoying. But keep a few of the others. If they don’t have Peter and Sylar in it, I am not watching it.

Alyssa

Posted at 3:17 AM on May 30, 2014

This is messed up.
Heroes didn’t become a crappy show because of the characters. After Season 1 the writers made the show a mess.

I mean honestly, viewers wouldn’t be bored of the characters if they didn’t make the story like that. I mean making Peter lose his powers when he has the coolest powers and he is the strongest, and bam. just killing him off like that, then making him have a power similar to his but completely not awesome. Then Sylar… though he is my favorite next to Hiro, he should have died or at least when he became good, it should have stayed like that and not make him evil then good again or maybe even just keeping him evil since the first season.

And yes, Hiro should still be here at least. He’s the character who I didn’t have problems with at all, except for the boring time when he was sent back in the past after Sylar threw him. That was boring… but the Hiro character was nice and his bestfriend Ando was sort of cool.

The whole Tracy thing was so confusing and a bit too… lame? But Noah, they could still use him… I mean his character was adorable and his powers were awesome. The add-on characters from S2-S4, their powers were awesome sure, but what the hell were their use? And the whole company with Petrelli is messed up.

Yes, they can completely ditch Claire even if she played a big role, Matt… it’s a bit okay on both sides whether to bring him back or not. But Peter and Hiro… they can’t be ditched. The rest of them is okay to be ditched though it would be missing something… but it would still be awesome. And if they do completely have a new cast, it would be troublesome since there are no more powers to create(Man they even created a character that grows flowers on where he steps in S4) … and it would be a bit lame if they just have the same powers, so it would be better keeping some of the original cast.

Jedisith1321

Posted at 1:02 AM on April 30, 2014

I honestly think this writer didnt even watch the whole series from start to end. He might have even missed a few episodes. Nathan is dead, they had stated in the last season when Sylar was impersonating Nathan that in the end he was dead and he wont be coming back. Peter even had to deal with the fact that Sylar still had some of Nathans memories from when he was impersonating him. The people with whom I would love to see in the show again with a new cast would be Peter, Sylar, Claire, Hiro, Noah, and Tracy. Hell even a revenge season with Samuel. But a completely new cast would ruin the show of the huge fan base it created during and after. I am looking forward to seeing Reborn very much but if it doesnt have at least some of the original cast then I will tell you that the show make it past the first season. As i see it dont fix what isnt broken.

Jedisith1321

Posted at 1:03 AM on April 30, 2014

Make it past the first season*

mateokarpe@aim.com

Posted at 1:47 PM on April 25, 2014

I think it all depends on the writing staff. I think with a good writing staff, any cast could be put on the show and the show will have potential to be great.

glitter

Posted at 1:18 PM on April 21, 2014

This the dumbest article lol main char and most iconic hiro??? Gimmie a break nobody cares about hiro. Claire was the most iconic.period.

Aidan

Posted at 9:47 PM on June 16, 2014

Claire is freaking annoying. And Hiro is awesome. Why Claire is annoying is because all what she does in the show is go somewhere and break some bones. Girl on the other hand gos back in time, and all that stuff. He has a interesting storyline though too. So again freaking ditch the cheerleader!

Glen

Posted at 2:21 PM on March 5, 2014

I think you got to have some of the originals return if they plan on following up with season 4’s finale with super’s being revealed. I found each season offered up something different, unlike this author saying that seasons 2-4 were crappy. Seldom does a show recreate that allure the first season does. As a hardcore fan of the show, I look forward to seeing where they take the fans next.

Michele

Posted at 3:07 PM on March 3, 2014

I’m not really interested if Nathan isn’t around. I don’t care that he “died”. Several other characters also died more than once and came back-I will never understand why people only pick on Nathan for this. I think Nathan and Peter would be great teachers and mentors for a few new younger hero characters, like Nathan’s two sons. That doesn’t mean Nathan and Peter have to be out of the action, not at all. It just means it can be a multi generational take on the original that lets all generations play a part.
Plus, for new viewers, the Petrellis will be new, and for old viewers, they’ll get to see Nathan’s boys all grown up.
I don’t really care to see Claire, Hiro, Mohinder, or Sylar. The last three have no strong ties to anyone in the original cast, and Claire is annoying.

L

Posted at 7:56 AM on February 27, 2014

I think the show needs to keep both Peter and Sylar for entertainment and drama purposes, Claire and Hiro I’m not so bothered about as they got irritating. Inject a new cast yes, but dont forget about the ones who got heroes where they are today!

cristal

Posted at 7:04 PM on February 26, 2014

YES!!! was bummed when they cancelled it! They should keep some of the old cast and add some new! Totally would watch it!

Anthony Sanchez

Posted at 10:06 AM on February 26, 2014

Wow! Heroes coming back! Hopefully it goes through. I would like to see new cast, however keep the old ones as well. The new cast should be the main ppl but with the help of the old gang leading them. It was a great show that had me hooked. I would love to see whats in store now.

Joel V.

Posted at 3:18 AM on February 25, 2014

I think they should ditch some of the original crew but not all. I’d also love to see some NEW faces in the reboot.

Anna

Posted at 12:58 AM on February 25, 2014

Do you agree that the reboot should ditch the original cast? NO. I felt robbed of a great show because of the writers’ strike and so were the actors.

Michele

Posted at 3:15 PM on March 3, 2014

I want Nathan and Peter back. Nathan’s story is far from finished. I want to see him dealing with his now teenage sons, who are discovering their own powers.

Mister Baja

Posted at 11:00 AM on February 24, 2014

well, where are you waiting for?
…………….AIR CRASHED PEDOPHILES!!

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 11:03 AM on February 24, 2014

Totally agree with you on this one, Baja.