‘The Walking Dead’ Recap: Carl, Rick, & Michonne Learn What Comes After

Sun, February 9, 2014 10:00pm EDT by 14 Comments
Walking Dead After Recap
Courtesy of AMC

Stacy Beam

Posted at 12:00 AM on February 12, 2014

Michonne was not having “flashbacks” but rather dream sequences and that might seem like a distinction without much meaning, but I think it’s really important in understanding a) why we didn’t get as much info on her backstory as we may have wanted and b) that the fact that she was even having the dreams, which were obviously based, at least in part, on what really did happen to her regarding her baby, her “lover” and his friend was essential to her beginning to confront it all and I think it played a role in her decision to go on living, as symbolized by her slaughtering not only her doppelganger, but all her new “pets.” We still don’t know how her partner and his friend, who clearly were michonne’s first two zombie “pets” ended up that way- we still don’t know the full story about how they became zombies, but we got a lot of overt hints (suicide?). I think we’ll learn more about michonne as the season progresses.

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 10:13 AM on February 12, 2014

I hope we learn more! Good point about her slaughtering her pets, and how that signified that she was doing better this second time around.

Ryan

Posted at 12:35 PM on February 10, 2014

This has become one of my favorite episodes. I’m not only looking for the zombie action and like getting to know the characters. I thought Michonne had the more interesting story and the actress that plays her was fantastic. She stole the show for me. Carl was pretty bratty and it was Carl that I felt I didn’t connect with as a character.

VICTORIA MADRIGAL

Posted at 9:22 AM on February 10, 2014

I have to say after waiting for so long to see what comes next I was a little disappointed. I get what the episode was about but still for me Rick and Carl are not the main ones for me. I’ve always thought Lori was a bad mother and Rick I think he doesn’t know how to be a good father but at least tries.Macone loved the insight on her past at least now she just isn’t this crazy sword wheeling nut case that we have all come to love :) can’t say at first I was a big fan but have found myself waiting for Sunday nights to come around just hope it won’t start being like the beginning of a book and have to re amp on all the caricature s again..but EXCELLENT SHOW I’m a total dead head …

Kat

Posted at 8:29 AM on February 10, 2014

It was a good episode. I was on the edge of my seat, thinking Rick was dead, and was shocked to think that he was a walker and Carl was going g to shoot him!!

Steve

Posted at 8:28 AM on February 10, 2014

Tonight’s season premier of Walking Dead was like amateur hour when compared to tonight’s episode of True Detective. Granted, True Detective is in a league of it’s own when it comes to the writing and acting but tonight it even elevated that status with one of the best episodes of any TV show that I’ve ever seen. After 3 episodes of ‘tense’ situations, this 4th episode switched over to the ‘intense’ side of the house.

They finished the show with an amazing unedited (one-take) scene that lasted around 6 minutes.
It was the most incredible single take scenes that I have ever seen in my life and will probably go down as one of the best ever!. The choreography for that final scene was pure genius. The planning, the coordination, the timing and the execution of this single, 6 minute, unedited scene will go down as one of the greatest achievements in filmmaking history.

So if you haven’t seen True Detective, go watch it.

BRinMilwaukee

Posted at 4:45 AM on February 10, 2014

Great recap! I’m gonna follow your recaps for the rest of the season. It was a very satisfying opener, hey. Best line: “It’s for you.”

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 8:56 AM on February 10, 2014

Thank you! That’s the line that made me cry. This show NEVER makes me cry. Great moment.

Mister Baja

Posted at 1:02 AM on February 10, 2014

well, these people can indeed use some Tequila!!

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 1:43 PM on February 10, 2014

Mom, is that you?

Mark

Posted at 12:26 AM on February 10, 2014

Worst episode ever!

larrykelly

Posted at 12:16 AM on February 10, 2014

Top notch review. I felt every emotion you described.

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 8:57 AM on February 10, 2014

Thank you, Larry!

Mero

Posted at 11:39 AM on February 24, 2014

Anyone else find it stupid that all michonne had to do was tie a rope to a couple of armless and jawless zombies and then none of them attack her anymore? She discovered a way to travel anywhere without being attacked! That seems like useful information that everyone should have and be using….oh wait it was just lazy stupid writing in this show that continually pisses me off.