Plus, Edith arrives at a heartbreaking solution to her growing problem.
Lady Mary… covered in mud… cooking and dining in the servants’ quarters?! I know this sounds like something out of Lord Grantham’s nightmares, but it actually happened on the Feb. 9 episode of Downton Abbey – and she wasn’t alone! Mary (Michelle Dockery) spent an evening rescuing pigs with Charles Blake (Julian Ovenden), who appears to have changed his mind about her.
But because Mary’s life is more complicated than my emotions during a game of Flappy Bird, her muddy evening with Charles was followed by a visit from her would-be-fiancé Tony Gillingham (Tom Cullens).
Over in London, Edith (Laura Carmichael) finally broke down and confessed her pregnancy to Lady Rosamund, adding that she’s decided to have an abortion. Though Rosamund initially reacted with shock and indignation — as is the default response to most things on this show — she ultimately decided to go with Edith to the abortion clinic. It was actually surprisingly sweet. In fact, I don’t think I hate Rosamund anymore.
Of course, she wasn’t the only person in this situation to have a change of heart. Upon overhearing the weeping of a fellow patient, Edith decided she couldn’t go through with it, and made a hasty exit.
Isobel Crawley, Medicine Woman
Following Robert’s journey to America to help keep Cora’s idiot brother out of jail, the Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith) was stricken with a serious illness. And despite their rocky relationship, Isobel (Penelope Wilton) volunteered to be her full-time nurse, eventually nursing her back to good health.
The sight of those two women enjoying a game of gin — and, arguably, enjoying each other’s company — was probably the strangest of the night, even more so than Mary covered in mud and pig slop. While I’m always amused to see them at odds with one another, I can’t help but wonder what a force they’d be together. Could this be the start of a beautiful friendship?
Odds & Ends
– Green also arrived at Downton, and in the episode’s final moments, he dropped a major hint that revealed his guilt to Bates (Brendan Coyle)!
– Mrs. Hughes (Phyllis Logan) telling off Green was arguably my favorite scene all season. That woman is a badass.
– Alfred had a break from his program, but Carson and the others derailed his visit, avoiding an all-out war between Ivy and Daisy. Unfortunately, Alfred just couldn’t stay away.
– Rose (Lily James) and Jack spent the afternoon on a romantic boat date, though I really feel that people named Jack and Rose should stay away from boats altogether. Seriously, we’ve all seen Titanic.
– Tom (Allen Leech) met a lady friend at a political speech. I had no idea what anyone was talking about, but some bro with a mustache shushed them while they were getting all flirty, so that’s fun.
What did you think of this week’s episode, HollywoodLifers? Do you think Bates will try to kill Green, as Anna fears? Are you glad Edith decided not to have an abortion? And which suitor would you rather see end up with Mary — Charles or Tony? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.
— Andy Swift
More ‘Downton Abbey’:
- ‘Downton Abbey’ Recap: Edith Gets The Surprise Of Her Life
- ‘Downton Abbey’ Recap: Anna’s Painful Secret Is Finally Revealed
- ‘Downton Abbey’ Recap: Mary & Tony’s New Romance Takes Off