Were you sad to see Jay’s final episode last night? Drop a comment with your thoughts on his departure.
Jay Leno hosted his final episode of The Tonight Show on Feb. 6, and even though it’s only been a few hours since the farewell aired, we miss him already. We’re eager to see what Jimmy Fallon will bring to the table, but for now, let’s reflect on all the reasons we’ve loved Jay since he first took over for Johnny Carson in 1992.
Jay Leno: 5 Reasons We’ll Miss The ‘Tonight Show’ Host
1. He’s the king of “Headlines”: I’m not saying Jay Leno is the original BuzzFeed, but the late-night host was known for bringing hilarious oddities to light way before the birth of the web’s most addictive time-sucker. And as a news people ourselves, we always laughed at the ridiculous headlines Jay’s team managed to find on a weekly basis. Hey, they happen to the best of us. The segment began in 1987, back when Jay was merely a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
2. He’s got R-E-S-P-E-C-T: While some late-night hosts were quick to goof on their less ‘high-brow’ guests — David Letterman straight-up mocking Paris Hilton comes to mind – Jay always treated his interview subjects with the utmost respect. He’s a class act, through and through.
3. He’s genuine: Real men cry, and Jay showed us all how real he can be Feb. 6 when he shed tears during his final Tonight Show episode. Despite all the drama surrounding his recent years on the show, Jay was genuinely sad to be saying goodbye.
4. He’s self-deprecating: Jay can take it just as well as he can dish it out. I mean, when it comes to jabs at his expense, he really knows how to take it on the chin. No, but seriously, he’s a good sport about that enormous mountain of a chin on his face — so much so that he titled his 1997 autobiography, Leading With My Chin.
5. He probably smells great: This one might be a stretch, but you know how some people just seem like they smell good? Like, the way Ryan Gosling probably smells like sunshine and angel farts? That’s how I feel about Jay. Mind you, I’ve never actually gotten a whiff of Jay, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.
Why will YOU miss Jay, HollywoodLifers? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.
— Andy Swift
More Leno Coverage:
- Kim Kardashian Sings Silly Song For Jay Leno & Flaunts Curves
- ‘The Tonight Show’: Jay Leno Says Goodbye In ‘Heartfelt’ Final Episode
- Conan O’Brien Fans Diss Jay Leno Before His Last ‘Tonight Show’