The ‘American Idol’ stakes are higher than ever now that we’ve hit group auditions! Just as we were getting to know and love these hopefuls, they are starting to drop like flies. See below for most memorable moments — and to read about the group that Jennifer Lopez just HAD to sing along with!
Parting is such sweet sorrow. We’re getting to know our Idol hopefuls better and better — only to see them get cut one by one. It makes for a very dramatic experience in our living rooms. We saw some really great group auditions on this Feb. 6 episode, and some real disasters — including when Alyssa Siebken, one of our favorites from auditions, totally blew it by forgetting lyrics! Such a rookie mistake! Read on to find out whether fan favorites made it through — and to find out which group sounded so great that Jennifer Lopez just had to sing along!
‘American Idol’ Feb. 6 Recap: Most Memorable Group Auditions In Hollywood Week 1
1. “Has there ever been a boy band in country?” Jennifer asked Harry Connick Jr. about the self-proclaimed Backstreet Cowboys. Made up of Casey Thrasher, 22, Ben Briley, 24, and Dexter Roberts, 22, these boys sang a plaid-filled country version of the Backstreet Boys’ “I Made It That Way.” It was a suuuper entertaining performance, and the judges sent them all through right away, but we weren’t so sure that Casey deserved his spot! He’s talented, of course, but Dexter annihilated him as the true standout of the group.
2. A group featuring MK Nobilette, 20, Briana Oakley, 17, and more, just absolutely killed it singing Lorde‘s “Royals.” Jennifer even jumped in when Briana started singing because she was getting so into the melody! That’s a surefire way to know you’ve made it in — and she did, of course. What’s better — singing with Jennifer Lopez or winning American Idol? (Just kidding. It’s clearly winning. But singing with JLo is pretty cool, too.)
3. A group comprised of Caleb Johnson, 22, the ever-charming CJ Harris, 22, Tyler Ahlgren, 20, and Matthew Hamel, 16, sang Alex Clare‘s “Too Close” and sounded pretty great! The judges picked out Caleb as the best in the group and sent home Matthew and Tyler — though we thought that Tyler could have been given another chance! Matthew had an incredibly poor attitude about being cut, so good riddance. Matthew, you’re 16. Some humility wouldn’t hurt you. You’re not untalented, you’re just underdeveloped as a performer!
4. In case you’re curious, HollywoodLifers, we still can’t get enough of a good Lorde cover. Sorry, not sorry. Savion Wright, 21, sang “Royals” with John Fox, 20, and two others. John did not make it through, where Savion and the others did. We found this very confusing, as the song sounded great and we thought that John harmonized beautfully with the rest! But hey, we just write the recaps.
5. Our absolute favorite group of the night sang The Jackson 5‘s “I Want You Back” and wow, they were fantastic. Christina Collins, 17, Olivia Diamond, 22, Queen Bulls, 18, and Malaya Watson, 16, knocked it out of the park. They sang incredibly well, with feeling, and they had real stage presence. It’s not enough to just be a good singer! You have to own the stage, too, and these four girls knew what they were doing.
‘American Idol’ Feb. 6 Recap: Honorable Mentions
Spencer Lloyd, Mr. Bright Eyes himself, was worried about his group forgetting the lyrics — and with good reason, because Alyssa Siebken, 20, totally did, as did Megan Miller, 23. However, Megan skidded by along with Spencer and Alyssa went home. That’s really too bad — we loved her cutesy acoustic cover of Waka Flocka Flame‘s “No Hands!”
We think that 16-year-old Stephanie Hanvey‘s mother would put Kris Jenner to shame in a stage mom contest. After Stephanie was the only one to be sent home out of four girls, her mother blamed the other girls! Yep, totally their fault for being better singers. Sorry, Stephanie! You’re a super sweet girl and talented, to boot, but this just wasn’t your time. Tell your mother to come at me!
Next week will be a biggie: with 77 hopefuls left, they will each be singing solos to try and make it to the next stage of the competition! We hope the judges are ready to break some hearts! (Ours, obviously.)
What did you think of this jam-packed episode, HollywoodLifers? Do you think it’s as insane as we do to forget lyrics, of all things? Should Alyssa have gone home? Was Keith Urban taking a vow of silence for this episode? Tell us all your thoughts, hopes, fears and dreams in the comments below.
— Amanda Michelle Steiner
More ‘American Idol’ News:
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Austin Wolfe Wows The Judges With ‘Radioactive’
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Hollywood Week 1 Begins With Shocking Twist
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Alyssa Siebken Plays Acoustic Waka Flocka Flame