What do you do when you significant other says ‘I Love You’ and you shamelessly respond by busting out your finest finger guns? Enlist Prince’s help, of course! Here are the five ‘New Girl’ moments that made us (and the doves) cry with laughter.
Prince dropped by for the post-Super Bowl episode of New Girl on Feb. 2, in a magical installment that found Nick (Jake Johnson) and Jess (Zooey Deschanel) desperately needing some sage love advice from the artist formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known As.
Prince Visits ‘New Girl’: The 5 Best Moments From ‘Party Time’
1. Finger Guns. Jess responding to Nick’s impromptu “I Love You” with these bad boys was funny enough, but Prince’s disinterested revelation that he was “not familiar” with finger guns was priceless. (Pretty decent comic timing, no?)
2. Nick’s Scream. Nick shrieked like a howler monkey when Prince graciously gave Nick and Jess time to properly freak out. It was adorable, and more than made up for the fact that Prince is terrible at frisbee.
3. The Makeover Montage. Everyone who has seen Prince twice (not-so humble brag) knows that he loves to bring a CeCe (Hannah Simone) type woman (or two) onstage to dance around, so of course his Purpleness made sure that Jess had a slammin’ hippie outfit to wear onstage for his show. Also, you can’t say “I Love You” unless your outfit is pre-approved by Prince. It’s sort of an unwritten rule. Bonus points that Jess’ hilarious garb was comfortable enough to eat a stack of pancakes (Prince’s orders) and play ping-pong in.
4. The Monarch Butterfly. Like, of course Prince has a cosmic connection with a magical monarch butterfly who follows his every move. Why wouldn’t he?
5. The “I Love You.” Jess may have blown it the first time around, but her “I LOVE YOU, NICK MILLER!” declaration in the middle of Prince’s party performance more than made up for it. Finally!
Bonus: Coach’s Understandable Disbelief. Of course this was the kind of episode that could only happen on a sitcom, and Coach’s (Damon Wayans, Jr.) meta acknowledgment of the absurdity of the situation was refreshing. How did Jess already know the words? It was a brand new song!
What did you think of the episode, New Girl fans?
— Shaunna Murphy