‘American Horror Story: Coven': 5 Ways To Fix The Show Next Season

Thu, January 30, 2014 9:57am EDT by 53 Comments
American Horror Story
Courtesy of FX

Hannah

Posted at 3:02 AM on August 14, 2014

Lose Evan peters you lose this viewer

Mary Winters

Posted at 12:33 PM on August 10, 2014

I thought they would show more of the girls learning to use and control their powers. It is a school, right? All this focus on the next supreme and these witches are almost exactly as they were in the series premiere.

brian duggan

Posted at 11:30 AM on June 13, 2014

He did take most of the year off…he filmed XMEN!!!!

arejay

Posted at 10:12 PM on June 12, 2014

So far, the only good season was the first one. Asylum was a freaking mess with evil Nazi doctors, alien abductions, serial killers, sadistic asylum workers, slutty, drunken nuns, possession, Adam Levine (what the hell was that all about?) and I don’t even remember what the hell else. I did like “The Name Game” scene, though and watch it on YouTube every now and then just for a pick-me-up. Otherwise it was dumb, which is too bad because the acting was so good. Everything above is absolutely right about Coven. What a waste of 13 hours.

Hannah

Posted at 5:39 PM on April 8, 2014

I don’t like that emma Roberts will be on season 4 while taissa will not.

Jem

Posted at 2:20 AM on March 26, 2014

Yes, season 3 was weak compared to the previous seasons! I hope Ryan M. reads this article & takes notes. If not fans will move on to other well written shows like the Walking Dead.

Nic Mc

Posted at 11:22 AM on April 2, 2014

I couldn’t agree with you more Jem. I’ve been an AHS fan since season 1 but season 3 was just downright awful! I love the Walking Dead and I am hopelessly addicted to that show because of character development, which this season of AHS sorely lacked. I’m hoping “Freak Show” will be better, if not, I’m done with AHS!

Holly

Posted at 3:09 PM on March 21, 2014

Is this a joke? None of this makes any sense at all. Without the resurrections there wouldn’t be a plot line. We would have lost half of the characters and then what would we have? Nothing. Misty was the one who had to bring herself back, no one else could. Zoe’s death was different. And why not add other stars to the show, it’s not like Stevie’s character was pointless. They used her directly for Misty to get her to understand she was safe with the coven, her character was not pointless. And Evan Peter’s coming back was pointless? He was the definition of a plot twist this season. Without his character there would be absolutely no conflict between Madison and Zoe, which in turn would cause there to be less conflict between the other witches. Was Cordelia not someone to root for?! Were all of the characters not someone to root for?! That was the best part about the series is the fact that they were all together working for something as a unit. Not one person against the world. We got to root for all of them!

Elizabeth Okley

Posted at 3:21 PM on March 17, 2014

I agree that this season wasn’t up to the standard. I found it so frustrating that all the potential between Cordelia and Misty as well as Delphine and Queenie was forgotten time after time in favour of a tedious love triangle between 3 of the most boring characters on the show. Misty was sweet and energetic and i would have loved to see her have a more integral part, also we know from Asylum that Sarah Paulson is more than capable of pulling of Cordelia’s character but there just wasn’t enough screen time to properly develop her. Also a racist serial killer and a black vodoo witch? There was so much that could have been done with that. Queenie and Nan were frustratingly stuck in the background for half the series and i’m pretty sure Luke was only there for eye-candy as with Kyle. For a season that should have been about empowerment, these witches sure seemed pretty dependent on their guys.

Sarah

Posted at 4:26 AM on March 11, 2014

YES! This season was god awful. I remember when Murder House was playing and I hanging off every word and every exchange and getting so pumped every time there was a new episode. Asylum had the greatest plot twists ever! When I think of Coven… I can’t really think of one positive defining thing. Maybe Madame Delphine LaLaurie. but it was probably just Kathy Bates being amazing. Even her character was inconsistent and confusing.

All the plot lines felt stupid and bendable. I understand that witches can resurrect and such, but the rules of the universe made absolutely no sense whatsoever. How could powerful witch Madison be choked by some hunky frankenboy who literally had no point in this season.

Evan Peters is my favourite and the potential his character had was never ending! The fact that the poor boy making it big in college ends up with the tattoos of his idiot frat brothers was heart breaking. I thought he was going to hate himself and we were going to deal with his resentment towards himself and the witches for being alive. He could have killed himself, he could have killed the witches, Zoe could have made him love again. What does Coven bring us? Tate becomes a hot dildo that Zoe and Madison fight over. He is just a sex toy. He ends up merely being a trophy wife to Zoe. What the heck!!!!!!!!!!!

I was never scared. This is horror, right?

Hopefully next season redeems itself! I need to be scared, entertained, and left wondering. Not bored and confused.

Moises

Posted at 4:47 PM on March 5, 2014

I agree with you 100%

Every week I tried my hardest to like the 3rd season.I couldn’t, it was aweful for all the stated reasons. In addition, a lot of the acting was awful too **cough cough** Queenie *cough*

Thanks for writing this. Some people didn’t see the same fiasco we did. I wanted it to be darker, like THE CRAFT, but it failed. . .

lexa

Posted at 3:06 PM on March 4, 2014

Honestly, I gotta say I disagree. Especially with #5. Death has been a huge part of AHS, that is actually true, but this season is meant to break that “golden rule”. It’s a new season, they’re witches, how the hell you expect them not to resurrect or to do things that are completely outta hand? It’s fun, because they break the boundaries and we’d never be able to do that. It’s a breath of fresh air, and I believe Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk did a great job with this season.

bea

Posted at 12:13 PM on March 4, 2014

unfortunately agree with you 100%. i was so excited for this season, i overlooked all the mistakes in plot as long as i could, thinking it would resolve eventually. but it never did, the writers failed on this one completely. actors were amazing of course, but yeah i need a at least s o m e t i m e s logical plot too.

Jay Stunna

Posted at 5:02 PM on February 20, 2014

Sorry you feel that way but I could not disagree more that 200%. The history they envoked on Coven was fantastic. The acting was superb and in my opinion, Coven was just as great as the 1st season. You obviously weren’t watching the same show.

Nic Mc

Posted at 11:33 AM on April 2, 2014

Just because they had some historical facts in the show does not mean the plot was good. I’m in agreement with this blogger- Coven sucked the big one and it was all because of the writing, not the acting. The story line never made sense. You can’t just throw some gore in every once in awhile and say it’s a horror show. Seasons 1&2 were done beautifully and I actually cared about the characters- unlike this season. They need to bring back Zach Quinto and Dylan McDermott. I think that they were desperately needed to try and save a fiasco like Coven.

rebecca

Posted at 3:17 AM on February 16, 2014

Evan peters is a fantastic actor, and a wonderful addition to this series. I could not see it airing without him, and nor would I watch it.