‘American Horror Story: Coven’ Finale Recap: And The Next Supreme Is…

Wed, January 29, 2014 11:11pm EST by 43 Comments
American Horror Story Coven Finale
Courtesy of FX

Shell

Posted at 3:48 PM on January 31, 2014

While the ending certainly didnt surprise me, I was awestruck at some of the outfits! Someone please tell me the name of the designer Sarah Paulson was wearing. The long dress in the final scenes of Seven Wonders was beeeeeutiful!!! I’m dying to know!!!!

Christina

Posted at 3:20 PM on January 31, 2014

What happended to the baby? and to Madam Levoue? Too many gaps… but I did like the ending

katie

Posted at 3:59 PM on January 31, 2014

i believe the the butler kept the baby & madam levoue went to hell

Kitty

Posted at 11:33 PM on January 30, 2014

I kept waiting for a bomb to go off in the house at the end. What better time for the witch hunters to attack when all new witches throughout the country are located in one spot? Hank’s dad did tell Fiona that there were more witch hunters to take his place after she killed him. Idk if I was disappointed it didn’t happen or happy!

Nice Guy

Posted at 5:12 PM on January 30, 2014

I loved this season (coven) over season 2 (asylum). The plot line was much more clear; however, I wish like season 1 (Horror House) there would be an lingering unhappy ending like the birth of the anti-Christ. I felt the very ending of this season was a cop-out… Cordelia ended up fine, she was relieved from all the torture, and I do not understand how a news crew published the story so quickly and they would allow all these random witches… No warlocks either?

Borquita

Posted at 11:04 AM on January 30, 2014

I was satisfied at the ending. I don’t think it’s that everybody was heartless about Misty dying. It was understood that performing the 7 wonders is dangerous, even deadly. Misty always doubted herself even when she did the simple task of telekinesis. She was in her hell, freaked out, and couldn’t keep her wits to get back to the land of the living. As for Fiona, I was watching her like a hawk. She had that same blade she slashed throats with close to hand, but she realized the game was up, which surprised me.

Cactus

Posted at 9:25 AM on January 30, 2014

Balenciaga is a refrence to Brigitte Hoss daughter of Auschwitz commandantes …she was hIs model daughte or reportidly modeled for Balenciaga in the 50’s? …I think we will see Jessica Lange play her in LAnges reported last season. I think Balenciaga was hinting to next seasons story line

mezberz

Posted at 9:12 AM on January 30, 2014

seven days to watch 2 of a lot but failed..
just need another breaking bad

Katie

Posted at 7:54 AM on January 30, 2014

Honestly this was my favorite season by far! I too am a little disappointed by the rushed finale. BUT I honestly didn’t think it was as bad as some people are saying. The intro with Stevie Nicks was great and gave me goose bumps. I was sad Misty and Myrtle died (I guess there has to be some good character deaths) and Misty particularly was pretty powerful so it seemed like such a waste. I think we can all agree Madison needed to go. I actually predicted Cordelia for Supreme so I was very happy with that and I mean come on, she is perfect! I love Zoey and Queenie being on her council too. I feel like Zoey who showed some serious power in past episodes didn’t really get her chance to shine, though. And the whole season they were worried about the coven shrinking and now it looks like they will have a full house(s). Overall I was pretty happy with the outcome, but would love to have some of the loose ends tied up, as well. But maybe that is the idea, he leaves it up to our imaginations to decide. All I know is I feel so sad and bummed that it is over. I want another season of this!

Luna

Posted at 5:41 AM on January 30, 2014

Yes the finale was too rushed and incomplete, way to many plot holes and alot of it seemed like just a slap in the face. I expected so much more for this season and honestly was very disappointed. This season had such great potential and it was a great season but i feel they could have done so much better

jonathan

Posted at 4:42 AM on January 30, 2014

I have a huge question, how did Cordelia go from waking up from hell to becoming the next supreme. She wakes up and then we are in a spinning room with flowers and she has her eyesight. I feel like i missed about 10 minutes of the show or something.

nomsdeplume

Posted at 2:29 PM on January 30, 2014

Apparently, you did. You completely missed the divination scene (where Madison fails and proves she is not the Supreme) and the resurrection scene (where Cordelia completes the last wonder and cements her role as the Supreme). Not to mention Madison’s death scene.

Anna

Posted at 4:10 AM on January 30, 2014

I really enjoyed many of the directions this show went in, but the last episode didn’t do it for me, I have so many questions. I really just want more, this is an all time worse tv cliff hanger because it just drops you and then nothing! I still like the show but damn.

OC

Posted at 2:26 AM on January 30, 2014

I absolutely lived this season. Jessica Lange and the rest of the cast was awesome. I am really sad its over. I am sad for Misty. What happened to the baby in the attic?

Linda

Posted at 3:48 AM on January 30, 2014

Yeah, I am wondering what happened to that poor baby in the attic.

Blanket

Posted at 9:48 PM on January 30, 2014

With the way he switched it out for one of his dolls, I think it’s safe to say he’s playing mommy with it, whether or not he killed it to keep it a baby is the question…

cuppiecake

Posted at 2:24 AM on January 30, 2014

But WHY does myrtle yell Blenciaga? Bc that’s what designer she wears to the stake? Does anyone know?

Baby W

Posted at 2:23 AM on January 30, 2014

So…I thought Fiona didn’t have a soul?

Kelsey S.

Posted at 4:08 PM on January 31, 2014

When Fiona summons Papa Lagba, the deal was to sell him her soul in return for eternal life. He says that she “has no soul to give” because she had subsequently already made a deal with the axe-man to be with him, sitting on a porch and drinking Jim Rickies (for apparently all of eternity, as seen in her version of Hell.) That’s what conclusion I came to after that episode and it was affirmed by the fact that we actually get to see it in the end. So she did have a soul, she had already sold it to the axe-man for a favor.

blondnearby

Posted at 2:12 AM on January 30, 2014

If you paid attention to the credits at the beginning you would have known that Cordelia was going to be the supreme. Behind SP’s name was a picture of the Santa Muerta which translates to “lady of the seven powers.” (Check Wikipedia if you don’t believe me)

Teal

Posted at 1:23 AM on January 30, 2014

You forgot briefly diverting, but ultimately unnecessary plot point. What about when we took that brief turn into “zombie town” towards the beginning of the season? It only lasted from the end of one episode into the beginning of the next, but it still had no bearing on the over-arching story.

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 8:47 AM on January 30, 2014

Totally. Asylum had a lot of random plots too, but they somehow emotionally resonated and had lasting implications for the characters. Here? Not so much.

Sama

Posted at 1:22 AM on January 30, 2014

I am a fan of AHS but honestly this season was a huge disappointment,When resurrection is so common place, death loses its shock value.Every major character died and was brought back to life.So,yeah I didnt shed any tears.And then there was the sub-plot about the original serial killer: Madame Lalaurie. I honestly didnt understand how such rich story material which could have been molded into a masterpiece became a such a foul concoction which literally ended in hell!And the finale..*sigh* started with such great promise and ended up following the same trite storyline..*flush* AHS left a bad taste in my mouth..

Maryll

Posted at 1:08 AM on January 30, 2014

The only thing I hated about watching it was the commercials. Anyone else agree?

mona

Posted at 2:08 AM on January 30, 2014

Agree. Totally

Brittney

Posted at 12:53 AM on January 30, 2014

I was so disappointed. I expected so much more.

omna

Posted at 2:18 AM on January 30, 2014

That is so sad!! Im glad to see you’re in minority and a lot more people enjoyed the briliance of the series. It was awsome. Absolutely the best. The only bad part is that in ended. I cant see how they can top this up next season but I cant wait.

Alexis

Posted at 12:41 PM on January 30, 2014

Actually most people agree this was the worst season so far. It was good, but it was the worst season so far.

T.J. Dotson

Posted at 12:17 AM on January 30, 2014

I was sad to see Myrtle die.. that was the only death in the show that tugged at heart strings. I loved Myrtle and I could see her as a wise member of the new council. I pretty much called the Fiona ‘mind wiping’ the Axeman and faking her death thing. I did find the hell she descended into interesting. Because she wakes up every morning haven forgotten the previous day..so each day the shock of being with the Axeman forever is a new one. But the real question, did anyone find themselves thinking.. what about the baby Spaulding is keeping in the attic?

Paul

Posted at 12:11 AM on January 30, 2014

Hmm, first off, let me say that this season was freakin’ awesome and I think the best one! That being said, this article reminds me of an article I read about Nip/Tuck years ago. It was another show created by Ryan Murphy. It complained that Murphy created long, developed storylines to just cut them off dead. Basically, the same thing this article is accusing him of doing. I didn’t realize that he did do that with AHS too.

Jennifer Nanek

Posted at 12:05 AM on January 30, 2014

Great season. was surprised it was Cordelia. Loved the beginning of the finale w/ the music. Not surprised that Fiona was alive. Was rather disappointed to not see Spock this season.

incaunipocrit

Posted at 11:36 PM on January 29, 2014

Reblogged this on The International Blogspaper.

Brenda

Posted at 11:33 PM on January 29, 2014

I loved it only I hated to see the divine Myrtle go. Cordelia was radiant and wonderful! I even loved Stevie singing in the beginning. Lots of twists and turns but in the end, I was happy to see it was Cordelia. I was beyond ready for Madison to be gone.

LissaCaldina