Kendrick Lamar & Imagine Dragons Was The Best Grammys Performance

Mon, January 27, 2014 11:56am EDT by 15 Comments

Sure, the Beatles performed, and Beyonce redefined “Bootylicious,” but if you ask me the best performance of the Grammys on Jan. 26 was one of the most unlikely — when Kendrick and Imagine Dragons staged a live mashup of their songs.

As a huge Kendrick Lamar fan (he was robbed last night, even Macklemore knows it), I was a little weary about pairing him up with the alternative, drum-pounding rock band Imagine Dragons at the Grammys on Jan. 26, but it turns out I was stupid to be a Doubting Thomas. Like, really stupid.

Kendrick Lamar & Imagine Dragons Own The Grammys

I guess I was just having trouble understanding how K.Dot and the guys of Imagine Dragons were going to do it. But I should’ve listened to Grammys Rule No. 1: Never Bet Against Kendrick Lamar. Everything the guy touches turns to gold (if you need an example, I have 12 — every song on Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City).

The performance started with Dan Reynolds singing the opening lines of “Radioactive” a cappella. Little did we know Kendrick was lurking on stage in a white hooded bodysuit though, and “Radioactive” abruptly transitioned into Kendrick’s fierce “m.A.A.d. city,” with those distinguishing “Yawk Yawk Yawk Yawks!”

Kendrick picked the perfect song to mash with Imagine Dragons’ style — “m.A.A.d. city” is raucous and aggressive, and was only helped by the Dragons’ (somewhat overindulgent?) penchant for drum-bashing.

And after letting Kendrick do his thing on his verses, the band then seamlessly transitioned back into the chorus of “Radioactive,” before a grand finale that included a Kendrick freestyle, an explosion of paint (I think?), and even some drum-banging courtesy of K.Dot.

Kendrick Lamar & Imagine Dragons: The Latest Legendary Grammys Performance

The Grammys can be laborious — last night’s ceremony was way longer than The Wolf of Wall Street – but performances like this one is why they’re worthwhile. The show brings people from different corners of the music universe — like Eminem and Elton John in 2001, or Lauryn Hill and Carlos Santana in 1999 — and creates aural concoctions that you’d never dream of.

Kendrick and Imagine Dragon’s performance at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards was one of those moments that came out of nowhere, and it’ll transcend the night and be remembered for years to come.

The only thing left to say is YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK!

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More Grammys News:

1. Beyoncé Slammed By Parents For Raunchy ‘Drunk In Love’ Performance
  2. Taylor Swift Hilariously Thought She Won The Album Of The Year Grammy
  3. Pharrell Williams’ Massive Grammys Hat Spawns Hilarious Internet Memes

Rolly Fogo

Posted at 9:51 PM on January 29, 2014

Whew! I thought I was alone on an island…. thank goodness you said it. I think I broke my couch about 2/3 of the way through it. It was infectious!!! So refreshing to finally see a truly amazing performance on the stage after the sheep in the audience were done bowing down to (in my opinion) a lacklustre performance by the (perceived) royalty (ahem, B & JZ)… jus sayin… sorry, I saw nothing nor heard anything special there. Signed… not a H8R…. just a realist!

Tony Karais

Posted at 8:38 PM on January 29, 2014

How did the lead singer of ID not miss a beat after taking a blast in the face from that powder explosion. Seriously, I rewound that six times to watch.

Other than that, yes, best performance of the night!

Rolly Fogo

Posted at 9:56 PM on January 29, 2014

Okay, now I’m curious why I didn’t see that. I’m going to rewatch and rewind.

Sofia

Posted at 8:44 AM on September 26, 2014

He said he threw up after when he got off stage because of it!

Francesca

Posted at 7:56 PM on January 28, 2014

Hans down the best! I agree .. Some of The others were kind of expected.. But this one caught everyone by surprise .. So real so genuine so damn awesome.. Truly brought the house down.. Loved it!

frankthaywood (@frankthaywood)

Posted at 12:58 PM on January 28, 2014

my neighbor’s step-sister makes $86/hr on the computer. She has been out of a job for 8 months but last month her check was $15202 just working on the computer for a few hours. view it now……………….
WWW.D­u­b­3­0.C­­O­­M

Rolly Fogo

Posted at 9:53 PM on January 29, 2014

piss off, we know this is crap

Lara Kim

Posted at 11:20 AM on January 28, 2014

my best friend’s ex-wife makes $60 hourly on the computer. She has been out of work for 6 months but last month her check was $18145 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit their website

>>>>>> C­H­E­C­K­4­­4.­­ℭ­­Oℳ

Rolly Fogo

Posted at 9:54 PM on January 29, 2014

piss off, we know this is crap

Fiona Dimple

Posted at 7:43 AM on January 28, 2014

my friend’s half-sister makes $68 hourly on the computer . She has been without work for nine months but last month her pay was $20239 just working on the computer for a few hours. take a look at the site here

>>>>>> BAY91.­­ℭ­­Oℳ

Rolly Fogo

Posted at 9:54 PM on January 29, 2014

piss off, we know this is crap

Elizabeth

Posted at 4:34 AM on January 28, 2014

Prior to Sunday’s Grammys I had never listened to K. Lamar , but that is about to change big time. I was mesmerized and so happy I recorded the entire show….cos i will watch that performance over and over. Best performance of the night.

Chiefboodah (@chiefboodah)

Posted at 9:26 PM on January 27, 2014

I couldn’t agree more. The best Grammy performance of the night, maybe ever?

Big bash

Posted at 3:24 PM on January 27, 2014

Best performance hands down

Vanessa xx

Posted at 1:26 PM on January 27, 2014

Loved this performance Kendrick is too good bit sad for him that he never won any grammys but never the less Kendrick does Kendrick and hes dope