‘Good Luck Charlie’ Introduces Disney Channel’s First Same-Sex Couple

Mon, January 27, 2014 11:14am EDT by 1,381 Comments 11,584 Article Views

Watch ‘Good Luck Charlie’ make television history, introducing the network’s first lesbian couple.

Some sitcoms go out with a whimper, but not Good Luck Charlie! On the Disney Channel comedy’s penultimate episode — the two-part series finale airs Feb. 16 — viewers were introduced to Susan and Cheryl, the first confirmed same-sex couple ever to appear on the kid-oriented network.

“Taylor has two moms!” proclaimed Bob (Eric Allan Kramer), upon meeting the two women, to which sassy wife Amy (Leigh Allyn Baker) responded, “Wow! Nothing gets past you, Bob.”

This is a huge move for Disney Channel, which has never featured an openly gay character, much less a same-sex couple — no matter what everyone may have speculated about High School Musical‘s Ryan Evans.

The icing on the cake for HollywoodLife.com was seeing Awkward star Desi Lydic as one of the moms!

Disney Channel Aims To ‘Reflect Themes Of Diversity And Inclusiveness’

Though the introduction of a lesbian couple is, naturally, being met with some opposition from conservative watch groups, Disney Channel stands by its decision. The characters were meant to reflect today’s world, as many viewers are young children with same-sex parents.

“This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors,” a spokesperson for Disney Channel said when the casting was first announced in June 2013. “Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness.”

HollywoodLifers, are you glad that Disney Channel took this huge step in introducing its first same-sex couple to viewers? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the network’s bold move below.

— Andy Swift

More Disney Channel News:

1. ‘Girl Meets World’ Officially Ordered — First Look At Cory & Topanga
  2. ‘Shake It Up’ Series Finale: CeCe Loses Her Memory On Final Episode
  3. Debby Ryan Opens Up About ‘Jessie’, Her Upcoming Album & Beauty Tips

Mel

Posted at 2:17 PM on October 15, 2014

This gay epidemic is caused by overconsumption of soy products while mom-to-be is pregnant and/or from bottle-feeding soy formula (think 5+ birth control pills per day). The published studies are out there if you don’t believe me.

Mike

Posted at 2:22 PM on October 15, 2014

I don’t believe you, because you’re wrong. Which is evident from your first sentence in which you use the term “gay epidemic”. Kindly make a real argument and don’t make up nonsense or hide behind pseudo-scientific evidence (if there really are even studies that claim this, which I doubt).

Gen

Posted at 12:02 PM on September 1, 2014

I do not consider myself a deeply religious person but I have read the Bible three times and I know the part of Leviticus everyone quotes about their stance against same-sex marriage/sexual intercourse, but if you are going to preach that that is a sin, then you might as well stop wearing two different clothing articles made of two different fabrics, and stop eating shellfish and pork. You cannot preach and follow what you please and dismiss everything else.
As a proud homosexual, I do recognize that God may not approve of my lifestyle. I am okay with that because I am not preaching that I am a “good christian” because I KNOW I’m not. Neither are most of you, so hop off your high horse and change your ideals. Times are changing. Don’t be a homophobic bigot.

reality check

Posted at 5:18 PM on August 20, 2014

If you all had better appropirate relationships with your kids they wont and up gay. Yes it’s a choice. A subconscious choice you make based on the relationship you have with your parents. End of story. I will be blocking the disney channel from the televisions in my house.

Move along, ugly troll

Posted at 7:30 AM on August 21, 2014

You’re the bigoted idiot who needs a reality check. Sexual orientation has NOTHING to do with your relationship to your parents. It’s not a choice, subconscious or otherwise. A choice is blocking the Disney Channel in your house and continuing to be a hateful shrew. Go thump your Bible elsewhere and stop pretending like you have any idea what the hell you’re talking about.

Joanne

Posted at 10:30 AM on August 21, 2014

You are stupid to think that it is a choice to be homosexual. You are born that way. I know plenty of people homosexual people who have very good healthy relationship with their parents.